BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-27-2024, 08:57 PM   #23
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP 6MT Jet black E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post

So did you end up buying it from that site for $1549? Did it come with GESi cats? Model # 50032?

The site wanted extra since they couldnt get the new version that cheap. So i ordered from mammothracing.com free ship and 1820 after coupon.

My rasp improved after 1 week. What do you mean wrapping yours to avoid rasp?? Can you share more info or a link??

Thank you for those clamp will get them for sure
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:14 PM   #24
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

That's not a bad deal still. So it's their newest version with the GESi 50032 cats? And it's throwing a CEL? Could be due to the leak somehow. I'd get that fixed first and then see. Otherwise reach out to aFe.

Somebody posted a thread here a couple months back that seems to have since been deleted? But they came across people on other forums wrapping their exhausts and eliminating all rasp. I found a long thread on an Audi forum, where someone got the idea from an Infiniti forum (love the internet). It makes sense, and I'm confident it'll drastically reduce it on our setup.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...sp-free-method

What catback are you running?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 11:05 AM   #25
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Im using this with a MPE. It is indeed the gesi updated version. I had a check engine the day after the install, i cleared with a friend reader, but then the check engine light came in a 30F cold morning a week after install. Hasnt come back again. I contacted AFE just in case it comes back.

The first 3 days i was thinking this was a mistake. Then the raspiness actually improved. Maybe weather or “something has get burn in”. Indeed it delivers more power you can feel. I have a MT car and now i can start in 2nd gear easier. Car feels breathing easier.

I find the comments of Richbot accurate in a previous thread

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873713

I am getting very hard vibration/shaking during cold start in AM but after engine warms the vibrations go away. Not sure if replacing any hangers will help. Maybe my engine mount’s are deteriorating. If anyone has some input on this issue, this will be appreciated.

Thank you yo this forum for all the info
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      03-28-2024, 12:40 PM   #26
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I did not notice any change in vibration with the addition of the xpipe.
      03-28-2024, 12:59 PM   #27
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefcole View Post
Im using this with a MPE. It is indeed the gesi updated version. I had a check engine the day after the install, i cleared with a friend reader, but then the check engine light came in a 30F cold morning a week after install. Hasnt come back again. I contacted AFE just in case it comes back.

The first 3 days i was thinking this was a mistake. Then the raspiness actually improved. Maybe weather or “something has get burn in”. Indeed it delivers more power you can feel. I have a MT car and now i can start in 2nd gear easier. Car feels breathing easier.

I find the comments of Richbot accurate in a previous thread

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873713

I am getting very hard vibration/shaking during cold start in AM but after engine warms the vibrations go away. Not sure if replacing any hangers will help. Maybe my engine mount’s are deteriorating. If anyone has some input on this issue, this will be appreciated.

Thank you yo this forum for all the info
Thanks for the confirmation and pics.

Interesting! So we're all running it with MPE. Good to know the raspiness went down. Yea, maybe the cats breaking in? Curious how yours sounds. Post clips if you can!

This vibration is a bit concerning though. Since Rich isn't experiencing that I'm using yours is making contact somewhere. I think I read that about the so-so fitment quality of this X-Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 01:29 AM   #28
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

alefcole Any updates? Should be getting my X-Pipe prepped for install soon. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:32 PM   #29
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Had to RMA mine since kept having CEL. Back in stock with no CEL issues
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:03 AM   #30
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefcole View Post
Had to RMA mine since kept having CEL. Back in stock with no CEL issues
Man that's not good to hear

You mean you went back to stock and CEL is gone? Maybe I should throw mine on first before getting it modified. Will check with them how they'd handle things if that was the case and I similarly got a CEL too.

So you suspect it was the cats then? Did you ever fix the exhaust leak? Wondering if a replacement would've done the same thing. You're running stock tune right?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 02:02 AM   #31
ap_rennen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Genuinely curious, have there been a lot of cases of melted cats? I know it happened to SYT, but can't remember what brand the cats were. Unless I'm mistaken they weren't high quality units like HJS or GESi. Stock is the worst of all I assume? Anyone know the specs of the GTS X-Pipe?
I melted my stock x-pipe. No more than 6 track days on it w/ < 90k miles. I'll never again track with cats in the primary position - regardless of cell count.
Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      04-21-2024, 10:40 PM   #32
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Man that's not good to hear

You mean you went back to stock and CEL is gone? Maybe I should throw mine on first before getting it modified. Will check with them how they'd handle things if that was the case and I similarly got a CEL too.

So you suspect it was the cats then? Did you ever fix the exhaust leak? Wondering if a replacement would've done the same thing. You're running stock tune right?
Now stock and no CEL. I sent it directly to AFE for them to review why. (It had the GESI CATS) Im stock tune. They never offered a replacement, but if you are stock and dont have a CEL kindly update this thread. I did fix the leak with the walker 33226 exhaust clamps from amazon.
Appreciate 0