BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #67
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
turbo, turbo, turbo = no sound, no sound, no sound
Great, then we get the "What brand BOV should I get?" threads. I personally don't mind if it goes turbo. Plenty of turbo cars make great sounds and are stupid fast. Losing some weight is never a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #68
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Considering I am waiting for mine to get here I would like complimentary air freight. Other than that I will reserve judgement until after I drive it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #69
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Complete nonsense.

Check out a 911 Turbo.

Or hell, check out a lowly SRT4. I had one of those as my track car, and with stock exhaust it sounded nasty, right down to the snap, crackle pop on the overrun.

Exhaust science has come far, pilgrim.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #70
G-Lo408
El Eme Tres!
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Why not be happy with what we have? If you want big HP and Torque car just go buy an American V8 like an SRT8 Challenger/Charger, Roush Mustang/GT, Camaro, etc. Those cars are stupid fast and big HP but can only go straight with what it comes from the factory. I love my ///M just the way it is =) just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #71
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Complete nonsense.

Check out a 911 Turbo.

Or hell, check out a lowly SRT4. I had one of those as my track car, and with stock exhaust it sounded nasty, right down to the snap, crackle pop on the overrun.

Exhaust science has come far, pilgrim.

Bruce
Sure they sound nice, in their own ways. And I can see this ends up being a personal taste. To me, 911 GT3/RS sounds order of magnitude better than 911 Turbo...
      08-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #72
superfans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

After seeing the new M5 video, it seems that when the driver rev the engine, the needle movement of the rpm speedo does not seem responsive like the M3. For M3, if one set in neutral and rev the engine, you get instant response seeing the needle up and down instantly. However, the new M5 in some videos seem a bit slower like when one rev an engine with normal automatic transmission (not sure how to describe it but you will know when revving a manual vs auto vehicle). Not sure if it is the characteristic of turbo cars? Hopefully the up-coming tri-turbo M3 will not have this characteristic.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #73
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

To be successful (IMO):
1) Faster, while keeping its amazing handling
2) Attractive look

For me to buy one:
1 & 2 are a must
3) Fix all Comfort Access issues (it sucks!)
4) Upgrade navigation system. I have it, but I still use my Navigon, which is pretty awesome
5) Sound. It's going to be almost impossible to beat the S65, but they need to give it a shot.

Lastly, I don't have anything against nice toys (i.e. camera). In fact, it kinda looks nice. I wouldn't get if it was an option, but I think it's cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #74
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Yup. But with most people complaining that the M3 is getting too big and heavy, moving to an I6 TT will make it less attractive. The S65 is the main reason most people prefer the M3 over the 1M Coupe. Without that, enthusiasts will most likely pick the lighter, smaller package assuming performance numbers are similar.
Enthusiasts are the minority of people who buy cars. People will still buy the M3 because its an M3, simple as that. People have been complaining about every generation M3 released after the E30, but it's still successful.

E30 fanboys hated that the E36 was moving from i4 to i6, E36 fanboys hated that E46 was less raw, E46 fanboys hated the E9X M3's because they were moving from an i6 to v8.

Now E9x fanboys are hating that F30 M3's will be forced induction.Trend continues through every generation of the M3 where previous owners throw a b!tchfit and try to argue why their model is superior, but new technology is always coming out and will be better. It's called evolution and that's how BMW stays on top and is still the benchmark for the entry level Luxury Sports Car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #75
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Lo408 View Post
Why not be happy with what we have? If you want big HP and Torque car just go buy an American V8 like an SRT8 Challenger/Charger, Roush Mustang/GT, Camaro, etc. Those cars are stupid fast and big HP but can only go straight with what it comes from the factory. I love my ///M just the way it is =) just my 2 cents

New Mustangs can handle just as well as an M3 for 1/2 the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #76
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I would like to see something a bit lighter, with more power at roughly the same price we have now. I like the S65 I have now, but if a nice 6 cylinder with some turbos can put down the power I want I am fine with that. I just want something that is fun, looks good, and is comfortable. I'm not to concerned with gas mileage, or I would buy a Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Enthusiasts are the minority of people who buy cars. People will still buy the M3 because its an M3, simple as that. People have been complaining about every generation M3 released after the E30, but it's still successful.

E30 fanboys hated that the E36 was moving from i4 to i6, E36 fanboys hated that E46 was less raw, E46 fanboys hated the E9X M3's because they were moving from an i6 to v8.

Now E9x fanboys are hating that F30 M3's will be forced induction.Trend continues through every generation of the M3 where previous owners throw a b!tchfit and try to argue why their model is superior, but new technology is always coming out and will be better. It's called evolution and that's how BMW stays on top and is still the benchmark for the entry level Luxury Sports Car.

You hit the nail on the head with your post. It seems so many folks on this site think less of others here because they don't have the exact same options they do. If you drive a DCT, you suck because I have a 6M...If you got a sunroof you suck because I got a CF roof, if you got the ZCP package you suck because I didn't...etc.

It gets even worse when something new and improved comes along...and face it, the next M3 will be new and IMPROVED. But, I'm sure "purists" (whatever the hell that even means) will balk and say something from the past was much more "raw" (whatever the hell that means), even though the new M3 will post better times in every performance category and likely break into the 7's at the Ring (which seems to be the only measurement of how good a car is).

For me, I will buy the next one because it will be better than the last one. I will not take it to the track, and will use it as a daily driver...mod it a bit to my liking, and just enjoy it, and if that offends some folks here, screw it, I don't buy the car for you, I buy it for me, and until you start making my car payment you can keep your opinions to yourself.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #77
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
I would like to see something a bit lighter, with more power at roughly the same price we have now. I like the S65 I have now, but if a nice 6 cylinder with some turbos can put down the power I want I am fine with that. I just want something that is fun, looks good, and is comfortable. I'm not to concerned with gas mileage, or I would buy a Honda.

You hit the nail on the head with your post. It seems so many folks on this site think less of others here because they don't have the exact same options they do. If you drive a DCT, you suck because I have a 6M...If you got a sunroof you suck because I got a CF roof, if you got the ZCP package you suck because I didn't...etc.

It gets even worse when something new and improved comes along...and face it, the next M3 will be new and IMPROVED. But, I'm sure "purists" (whatever the hell that even means) will balk and say something from the past was much more "raw" (whatever the hell that means), even though the new M3 will post better times in every performance category and likely break into the 7's at the Ring (which seems to be the only measurement of how good a car is).

For me, I will buy the next one because it will be better than the last one. I will not take it to the track, and will use it as a daily driver...mod it a bit to my liking, and just enjoy it, and if that offends some folks here, screw it, I don't buy the car for you, I buy it for me, and until you start making my car payment you can keep your opinions to yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #78
DoorKicker
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've got the "luxury" M3 now. Now make me one without all the frills. I can't really complain about this one. More power, less weight.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #79
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
I would say the change from NA to FI is a pretty substantial and material difference to warrant an actual prejudice against F3x. Remember, the technological progress we have seen in turbos has primarily been initiated by the public's response to gas prices. As evidence to this, BMW advertises mpg on their M cars... lol why.

I agree with you everywhere else in that I still do not know what "raw" means really. Less safety equipment or something. My E36s felt awesome, so did my E46, and the E92 does as well. That's what I can say.
      08-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #80
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
For me, I will buy the next one because it will be better than the last one.
You see, that's the problem.. better in which way, according to who?
      08-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #81
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Weight?

Two ways:
1) Lose weight yourself
2) Order a practical $60K + ///M with No Sunroof/Power seats like I did.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #82
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Weight?

Two ways:
1) Lose weight yourself
2) Order a practical $60K + ///M with No Sunroof/Power seats like I did.
Still too heavy.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #83
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Still too heavy.
Then get yourself a Lotus Elise and call it a day. M3 will hover around 3400 lbs or more considering regulation, safety and tech getting in the way. Most people wouldn't have an M3 in any other fashion.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #84
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

More carbon parts to lose weight.
Keep V8 but increase HP and, especially torque.
Keep current bells and whistles as options so the strip down morons can have their fun too.
      08-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #85
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Quote:
Quote:
Amen Brother.
Then you must never have driven or heard the magnificent sound of the 2012 Merc. CLS63 AMG. YouTube it at least. I love it more than the M3's sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #86
G-Lo408
El Eme Tres!
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
New Mustangs can handle just as well as an M3 for 1/2 the price.
Lol

Right back at you brother
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #87
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then get yourself a Lotus Elise and call it a day.
That's what I am thinking to do actually. Most likely Exige/S. M3 lost its trackable DD status. It is way to expensive, and even more so expensive to modify for track. Even then, still too heavy.
      08-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #88
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Guys, your next M3 will have a tri-turbo engine configuration and electric steering (only one available in the next F whatever platform). Plus of course, HUD, all around cameras, DCT-II, active diff, a CF soda straw to reduce weight and a hemp carpet option in a nod to more environmentally aware buyers.

So I'll probably have an M2. Meaning, the M version of the next 1 series Coupe which will apparently be named the 2 series. And which will mercifully come with only a twin-turbo, which will be considered the "simple" and "reliable" option for the BMW engine line-up in that timeframe.

Or perhaps I'll bite the bullet and finally switch to a Porsche.

If you think I'm joking, just wait a couple of years.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0