BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Kitsune
BMW Freshman
United_States
Rep
Drives: (Soon) '10 M3 E92

"Acceptable" Upgrades to M3

Not that anyone should truly care of the opinions of others when upgrading a car to their own personal liking, but what are considered faux pas? I've heard things such as putting Japanese wheels on or large spoilers, etc.

I'm looking into the upgrades for a soon-to-order M3 and while I will always end up doing those things I truly want to do, I want to take into account what is going to get me strange looks.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Not that anyone should truly care of the opinions of others when upgrading a car to their own personal liking, but what are considered faux pas? I've heard things such as putting Japanese wheels on or large spoilers, etc.

I'm looking into the upgrades for a soon-to-order M3 and while I will always end up doing those things I truly want to do, I want to take into account what is going to get me strange looks.
My personal opinion, forget what others think and just modify your car the way you like it. You're the one that has to look at and drive your car on a daily basis, not someone else Plus I doubt you'll really get strange looks in real life (though you may get some funny comments here). 95% of the people out there in real life don't even pay attention to the mods on a car.

As for your specific question -- Japanese wheels are totally fine, and in most cases more unique of a modification.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
My personal opinion, forget what others think and just modify your car the way you like it. You're the one that has to look at and drive your car on a daily basis, not someone else Plus I doubt you'll really get strange looks in real life (though you may get some funny comments here). 95% of the people out there in real life don't even pay attention to the mods on a car.

As for your specific question -- Japanese wheels are totally fine, and in most cases more unique of a modification.
+1

all the way
      06-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Kitsune
BMW Freshman
United_States
Rep
Drives: (Soon) '10 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Heh heh, yeah I feel the same way. It's why I am getting those nice Limited Edition VOLK, but still, I was just curious as to what were considered no-nos.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

I agree, I mean you bought it do with it want you want.

But in teh case of "good taste" and what is tacky...I can't stand blacked out lights, stupid spoilers, Japanese Wheels, badges that aren't true (i.e. M3 badge on 335i), anything gold, two tone paint, non oem xneons, anything that draws extra attention to the car, assuming it's not a show car.

I mean these are $60K plus luxury cars, not Japanese toy cars that should be riced out. Be tasteful.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

nothing wrong with japanese wheels. they make some of the best in the world.
      06-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Like everyone else said its your car just keep it nice and true to BMW standards I think....
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I'm against most every mod, especially aftermarket wheels which only go to make the M3 look like someone has faked up a std 3 series to look like an M3 but couldn't afford the proper wheels.
But if I was offered some free "upgrades" then I would look at changing the bloated overweight electric seats for some lightweight Recaros (or similar) covered in matching leather (big weight saving possible). Change the exhaust for a lightweight one with a proven BHP inprovement. And if I really had to do something with the wheels I would have the oem 19" repainted in a light shadow chrome.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Mookster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 ZR1 & 2020 Supra GR LE

Speaking of Jap wheels, I'd pick Volk wheels over any other wheels anytime.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

I never understood the hatred of aftermarket wheels. It's the one mod that really changes the "look" of the car. I have always been partial the 360 Forged Split 5's with the car lowered on H&R springs. But thats me.. go for whatever you want. It's your car man.

Appreciate 0