BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Manual Transmission Failure?

I know this is a long shot, but... My girlfriend took our M6 Gran Coupe on a four hour trip across the state and the transmission appears to be stuck in gear. She said it popped out of 6th gear while driving on the highway, then got hard to shift in stop-and-go traffic, then she parked it (in gear) for the day. When she returned to the car, the transmission is stuck in gear. No amount of tugging on the gear lever (with or without the clutch engaged) seems work. She said the car will start, but not move when the clutch is released. It just revs up. She received no warning lights, but I don’t know if that would be expected. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on what could be the issue? Thanks.

P.s. I posted a similar question on M6Post, but that site doesn’t seem to get much traffic from people experienced with wrenches.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

It’s possible the transmission is damaged, the car will go into gear with the engine off whether the clutch is depressed or not so that can rule out the clutch. The gearbox could have internal damage but you have to rule everything out including the shifter assembly. Tow the car to someone who can put the car on a lift and visually inspect the gearbox before moving forward. Draining the fluid and looking for metal would be a good start, if you find metal or find no fluid at all a new gearbox would be in order.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
It’s possible the transmission is damaged, the car will go into gear with the engine off whether the clutch is depressed or not so that can rule out the clutch. The gearbox could have internal damage but you have to rule everything out including the shifter assembly. Tow the car to someone who can put the car on a lift and visually inspect the gearbox before moving forward. Draining the fluid and looking for metal would be a good start, if you find metal or find no fluid at all a new gearbox would be in order.
Thanks. I told her to flatbed the car to the nearest dealer. My fear is the transmission is toast. She also said the car won’t roll with the clutch pressed to the floor.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
s0ldats
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 stripper

don't rule out the clutch... could be that the fork bent/broke or a throwout bearing failure

she'd HEAR it if the transmission broke
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:34 AM   #5
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Do you know what's the condition of the brake fluid? Because it's also used by the clutch pedal to operate the clutch. If you have a bad condition fluid, you may have trouble to shift gears, and it's expected to have problem with the gears before having with brakes, cause the system is designed to give priority to the brake system.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

pretty rare occurrence for sure... I wonder what's up.

please update the thread
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
dbrian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E93

i've had an issue on my srt4 the may be similar. my car seemed to be in gear but i couldn't shift in or out of gear since my shifter was dead. i literally had no gears to shift to. had to get it towed out of traffic. turned out that the roll pin for the shift linkage snapped.