BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

02-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
shakywarrior
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Ext. Black

Front Seat Back Trim Panel Removal

Anyone removed these before on an E92?
Not the rear seats but the black plastic panel on the back of the front seats. Doing a DIY color change.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

There are two plastic push rivets at the bottom edge of the hard plastic panel. But I've found that you don't need to remove them to remove the panel.

Place your hand at the top edge of the panel, then slide the panel downwards as far as it will go down. If it doesn't budge then remove the push rivets (carefully as they break easily).

Once you have the cover as far down as it will go, pry it away from the seat by slowly pulling the bottom edge towards you. You may need to adjust the vertical position of the cover as there are slots in the seat frame that should allow the cover to separate from the seat frame. Do not use excessive force. The cover is held in place by a few plastic tabs molded into the cover and these can break if forced.

Once you have the cover off, remove the push rivets.

To reinstall, you need to slide the top edge of the cover back into the seat frame first. This may take some force/jostling to get the right position. Once the top edge is in, the rest is easy.

I'm going from memory here so forgive me if some steps are little bit off.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
shakywarrior
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Ext. Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
There are two plastic push rivets at the bottom edge of the hard plastic panel. But I've found that you don't need to remove them to remove the panel.

Place your hand at the top edge of the panel, then slide the panel downwards as far as it will go down. If it doesn't budge then remove the push rivets (carefully as they break easily).

Once you have the cover as far down as it will go, pry it away from the seat by slowly pulling the bottom edge towards you. You may need to adjust the vertical position of the cover as there are slots in the seat frame that should allow the cover to separate from the seat frame. Do not use excessive force. The cover is held in place by a few plastic tabs molded into the cover and these can break if forced.

Once you have the cover off, remove the push rivets.

To reinstall, you need to slide the top edge of the cover back into the seat frame first. This may take some force/jostling to get the right position. Once the top edge is in, the rest is easy.

I'm going from memory here so forgive me if some steps are little bit off.
That helps a lot! Thanks for the info.

Would you happen to know how to remove the actual seat back from the bottom cushion??
Appreciate 0