BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Vpa94
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw e92 m3

DCT transmission violently jerking

Hey guys, i have a 2012 E92 M3. I bought it about a year ago with an existing GTS flash for the transmission. A few months later i added an AA catless X-Pipe and dinan muffler. I have not tuned the car but will be having RK tunes do the tune this week(local to me).

A few weeks after installing the catless x-pipe, i would start the car, let it warm up for 15 minutes befor driving

When i put the car into Drive(or reverse), the car violently jerks forward as if i was stepping on the gas(i am not pressing the gas pedal). I leave the car for an hour and it will drive completely normal. Its been happening for a few weeks now and happens every other week.

I have the wireless obd reader and it will somtimes read codes that pop up, other times nothing.
I will add that the tpms sensor is on.
I have no idea how or why this is happening but i'm stuck here and would like to enjoy the car wihtout worrying about getting stuck somewhere.

Has anyone dealt with this? Or have a solution
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
I also have a 2012 DCT with the GTS flash from BPM Sport. But I don't think this is related to your transmission or the programming. I sometimes notice lurching or revving when cold at low RPMS unrelated to throttle position and the 'fix' I find is to turn off the Power button (located next to the gear shift). The Power button, when illuminated, makes the throttle more responsive, essentially making the response curve on the throttle steeper, if you know controls. I wish I could set the Power to off on a cold start, but it's not a big enough deal to get into it.

Other possibilities for you include throttle actuators failing or the idle control valve failing. Sharing the codes it throws is always helpful.

Cheers, mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
Vpa94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
I also have a 2012 DCT with the GTS flash from BPM Sport. But I don't think this is related to your transmission or the programming. I sometimes notice lurching or revving when cold at low RPMS unrelated to throttle position and the 'fix' I find is to turn off the Power button (located next to the gear shift). The Power button, when illuminated, makes the throttle more responsive, essentially making the response curve on the throttle steeper, if you know controls. I wish I could set the Power to off on a cold start, but it's not a big enough deal to get into it.

Other possibilities for you include throttle actuators failing or the idle control valve failing. Sharing the codes it throws is always helpful.

Cheers, mate.
It wont let me drive at all, i put the car in Drive, and it automatically starts violently moving forward in a jerking manner without pressing tbe gas pedal. I dont believe my transmission it messed up due to the car still driving flawlessly when it does not happen.

I think i saw another post on here about the same issue a few weeks ago but i dont remember if he had found the answer to the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpa94 View Post
It wont let me drive at all, i put the car in Drive, and it automatically starts violently moving forward in a jerking manner without pressing tbe gas pedal. I dont believe my transmission it messed up due to the car still driving flawlessly when it does not happen.

I think i saw another post on here about the same issue a few weeks ago but i dont remember if he had found the answer to the issue.

If it's so severe you can't drive it, probably none of the 3 things I mentioned. I'd write down the codes and share them on the forum as a next step if you aren't able to determine their cause after accessing Dr. Google.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
Vpa94
Rep

These are the codes thaf are being thrown when i run the obd
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Quote:
Hey guys, i have a 2012 E92 M3. I bought it about a year ago with an existing GTS flash for the transmission. A few months later i added an AA catless X-Pipe and dinan muffler. I have not tuned the car but will be having RK tunes do the tune this week(local to me).

A few weeks after installing the catless x-pipe, i would start the car, let it warm up for 15 minutes befor driving

When i put the car into Drive(or reverse), the car violently jerks forward as if i was stepping on the gas(i am not pressing the gas pedal). I leave the car for an hour and it will drive completely normal. Its been happening for a few weeks now and happens every other week.

I have the wireless obd reader and it will somtimes read codes that pop up, other times nothing.
I have no idea how or why this is happening but i'm stuck here and would like to enjoy the car wihtout worrying about getting stuck somewhere.

Did you notice any fluid under your car? Could your DCT fluid be low causing the aggressive(bucking)of your transmission?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
Vpa94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacegrayMe90 View Post
Quote:

Did you notice any fluid under your car? Could your DCT fluid be low causing the aggressive(bucking)of your transmission?
Not that i noticed, its usually parked for a week as i only drive it on saturdays or sundays. Would this show up on the vehicle info in the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you haven't noticed fluid on your garage floor then likely that is not the source of your problem. Although it could dripping into the pan and not making it to the floor.

I assume if your DCT fluid gets lower than the optimal threshold it would trigger a control message.

Last edited by SpacegrayMe90; 08-02-2021 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #9
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

Low fluid in the DCT can result in a number of odd behaviors and various codes, so it would be a good idea to check the level as a starting point. These units also leak from the pans or the sleeve on top, but unless it is a serious leak you may not notice until you drop the shield. Mine had no visible leak but there was a fair amount of fluid in the shield and on the pans and hoses. Top off the fluid level and clear your codes and see if that improves things. If not then perhaps have the DCT flashed back to stock and have adaptations cleared and see how it does then. You don't mention miles on your car, but by the sound of that code your clutches may be worn out and the system can't compensate further. Good luck!
      08-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #10
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
These are the codes thaf are being thrown when i run the obd
Code 2789… I'll wager it's linked as well as low DCT fluid. Set the shift logic to S5 which runs the DCT pump at a higher pressure - if I recall correctly. Have the fluid level checked. There's a special procedure for doing that.. must be warm, on level ground etc. etc. Clearing clutch adaptations might help - or not..
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #11
Vpa94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck View Post
Low fluid in the DCT can result in a number of odd behaviors and various codes, so it would be a good idea to check the level as a starting point. These units also leak from the pans or the sleeve on top, but unless it is a serious leak you may not notice until you drop the shield. Mine had no visible leak but there was a fair amount of fluid in the shield and on the pans and hoses. Top off the fluid level and clear your codes and see if that improves things. If not then perhaps have the DCT flashed back to stock and have adaptations cleared and see how it does then. You don't mention miles on your car, but by the sound of that code your clutches may be worn out and the system can't compensate further. Good luck!
Sorry, car has 60,000 miles. I do know the clutches were replaced before this though due to having a different clutch set on from the 2nd owner. I will have a shop check out the car for any leaks in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Wow sorry sounds awful. Hope you can get it back to normal. By the way the GTS DCT tune is absolute garbage IMHO. Makes the car drive very poorly in daily driving condition. It really should be only used with a larger displacement motor or supercharger where they need more clamping power.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #13
S65 SCHNAUZER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - TiAg/Cinnamon

dont know if this is related at all but my 6mt would jerk when cold a lot until i swapped the donut gaskets on the down pipe to xpipe connection which smoothed it out a lot
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #14
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Sorry, car has 60,000 miles. I do know the clutches were replaced before this though due to having a different clutch set on from the 2nd owner. I will have a shop check out the car for any leaks in the car.
Since the car has 'only' 60,000 miles - and the DCT clutch packs supposedly have a lifetime warranty - do you know why the previous owner had installed a different DCT clutch pack?

So if I understand correctly: The OEM DCT clutch pack was replaced by the previous owner and potentially an after-market DCT clutch pack was installed. Then the previous owner switched back to the OEM DCT clutch pack before your purchased the car? I wonder if he/she just reinstalled the 'old' original OEM clutch pack again? Anyway, my innner 'Sherlock' says to check the DCT fluid level and reset the DCT clutch Adaptations first. I recall reading somewhere that as the DCT clutch packs wear, the DCT ECU uses incremental Adaptations (adjustments) to adjust for the wear of the clutch disk pack. Just my two cents.. Good luck. Just trying to help.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint

Last edited by DrFerry; 08-03-2021 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #15
Vpa94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Quote:
Since the car has 'only' 60,000 miles - and the DCT clutch packs supposedly have a lifetime warranty - do you know why the previous owner had installed a different DCT clutch pack?

So if I understand correctly: The OEM DCT clutch pack was replaced by the previous owner and potentially an after-market DCT clutch pack was installed. Then the previous owner switched back to the OEM DCT clutch pack before your purchased the car? I wonder if he/she just reinstalled the 'old' original OEM clutch pack again? Anyway, my internal 'Sherlock' says to check the DCT fluid level and reset the DCT clutch Adaptations first. I recall reading somewhere that as the DCT clutch packs wear, the DCT ECU uses incremental Adaptations (adjustments) to adjust for the wear of the clutch disk pack. Just my two cents.. Good luck. Just trying to help.
The car was previously supercharged, which was the gintani stage x white e92 that held the "world record" for fatsest stock motor e92. I'm assuming the owner did not want to deal with stock clutches with a supercharger. It was put back to stock before selling snd the stock clutches were put back in, or replaces, not too sure about that i have to lool at the paperwork. I realized that the post on here about the problem i have was actully the previous owner of the car. He had a gts tune put on the car for the dct, which lead to the problem i am having. Once he took it off then the problem went away. When i bought it from the owner he sold it to, the owner he sold it to(who then sold it to me) had put the gts tune back on, which i believe is the problem again. I am going to have that tune taken off, then go from there
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      08-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #16
SalM
S1N1ST3R
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Definitely have the GTS Transmission flash removed.

And for those who are asking. The DCT is in flawless condition and has been serviced completely gaskets fluid filters etc. Car had Dodson Clutches with Billet baskets for the supercharger setup because the stock clutches would not have been sufficient.
10.38 @ 136.04
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #17
Vpa94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalM View Post
Definitely have the GTS Transmission flash removed.

And for those who are asking. The DCT is in flawless condition and has been serviced completely gaskets fluid filters etc. Car had Dodson Clutches with Billet baskets for the supercharger setup because the stock clutches would not have been sufficient.
Thank you for the reply🙏🏻
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #18
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The car was previously supercharged, which was the gintani stage x white e92 that held the "world record" for fatsest stock motor e92. I'm assuming the owner did not want to deal with stock clutches with a supercharger. It was put back to stock before selling snd the stock clutches were put back in, or replaces, not too sure about that i have to lool at the paperwork. I realized that the post on here about the problem i have was actully the previous owner of the car. He had a gts tune put on the car for the dct, which lead to the problem i am having. Once he took it off then the problem went away. When i bought it from the owner he sold it to, the owner he sold it to(who then sold it to me) had put the gts tune back on, which i believe is the problem again. I am going to have that tune taken off, then go from there
Out of curiosity, was the first owner the Instagram handle “C63nyc” ? He had a white e92 GINTANI supercharged M3 that was ridiculous, which he referred to as the fastest e92 M3 "GINTANIFREAKM3".

In his videos, while he had the M3, he can be seen blowing the doors off many cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #19
Vpa94
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacegrayMe90 View Post
Out of curiosity, was the first owner the Instagram handle “C63nyc” ? He had a white e92 GINTANI supercharged M3 that was ridiculous, which he referred to as the fastest e92 M3 "GINTANIFREAKM3".

In his videos, while he had the M3, he can be seen blowing the doors off many cars.
It was not, i do know who you are talking about though haha. Not his thank god
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 12:47 PM   #20
flare.jpg
Rep
Drives: Toyota Supra/E90 M3

Quote:

I just experienced the same issue yesterday. Exactly the same situation as you mentioned. Put it in D or R, car violently jerks forward or backwards and shuts itself off. Any conclusion you found? Or have you figure out what’s the issues? I never had the problem before and this situation happened right after the day I flashed the GTS DCT tune
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50