BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Fast car; but you are clearly the superior driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Fast car; but you are clearly the superior driver.
Thanks dude
      06-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Klammer, your driving was nice and smooth. Your lines were good.

That 4.0 RS was all over the place. What a shame... People who don't know how to drive shouldn't have the privilege of driving such cars!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin911 View Post

That 4.0 RS was all over the place. What a shame... People who don't know how to drive shouldn't have the privilege of driving such cars!
He has money to pay the bills, but no skills.

: O

I'd personally be concerned if he was driving by himself. No way he should be in that car, on that track, without an instructor. Scary to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #27
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^ You're right. The concern for safety of the drivers and the others is more important.

Though it infuriates me to see such a bad driver in my dream car...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Love the full track! Btw, what kind of times are you guys running around the full track? 2:40's? Dare say somewhere in the 2:30's??? I have a 2:50 on video and think I may have run a 2:49 in there somewhere, just curious... love to see you guys out on track one day

Actually don't have any times for full course and not too sure what god times are on full course but I think 2:49 is pretty good.

Our goal for south course is to break the 1:30 barrier but that is going to be tough until we get the car where it should be. You should come out to the Autobahn race July 14-15th. If you wanted you could do the HPDE too.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #29
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Though it infuriates me to see such a bad driver in my dream car...
Everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe he is the kid that showed up to the first day of practice with the most expensive equipment and the least experience. : )
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #30
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate it. The 4.0 is a good guy, just think he's got a bit more car than he can handle right now, but he's got a bunch o' room to grow
Quote:
Everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe he is the kid that showed up to the first day of practice with the most expensive equipment and the least experience. : )
C'mon, be nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
Actually don't have any times for full course and not too sure what god times are on full course but I think 2:49 is pretty good.

Our goal for south course is to break the 1:30 barrier but that is going to be tough until we get the car where it should be. You should come out to the Autobahn race July 14-15th. If you wanted you could do the HPDE too.
When you guys talk about breaking below the 1:30 barrier, what are you guys thinking makes the biggest difference? Tires, suspension, or both. Never thought I'd say this, but actually thinking about "upgrading" from the AD08's... but maybe not and think I'll try and make it that weekend.
      06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #31
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
C'mon, be nice
This is actually very nice for me. MAX NICENESS.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is actually very nice for me. MAX NICENESS.
      06-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #33
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Tires would be the biggest difference but depends on which ones. If you went to a DOT like the R1 or R1s there would be a pretty good difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #34
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
Tires would be the biggest difference but depends on which ones. If you went to a DOT like the R1 or R1s there would be a pretty good difference.
Appreciate the feedback. Think I need to just go out, have fun, reassess over the winter. Continued good luck with the season
      06-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #35
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you guys talk about breaking below the 1:30 barrier, what are you guys thinking makes the biggest difference? Tires, suspension, or both. Never thought I'd say this, but actually thinking about "upgrading" from the AD08's... but maybe not and think I'll try and make it that weekend.
The component that gives you grip are the tires. If your tires are crappy even if you have the best suspension set up in the world you will not be able to find grip.

Without getting into r-comps (which usually require a second set of wheels specifically for track duty) I don't know what tires would be better than AD08's.

The suspension set up comes next. I don't believe the M3's sways are adjustable from factory. The stock suspension should hold up good enough depending on experience.

Once you find your preferable tires, what comes next is the alignment. Despite the fact that I've been a member here for just above a week I've seen people post camber numbers above -3 degrees, which to me sounds a little crazy. I don't know what alignment M3's come with from factory or the set up on the people's cars that posted such numbers, but it seems excessive for street cars.

I don't have much experience with the M3, but I do have track experience with Porsches. In my old GT3 with stock suspension and rose joints (rubber eliminated), which should be stiffer than M3's stock suspension, I still was running -2.6F and -2.3R of camber with r-compound tires.

With softer suspension you have more flex, meaning the chances of lifting the inside tires is less likely. So I see no reason to run such excess camber numbers. The stiffer the tires and the suspension the more camber you will need.

The best way to find the alignment that works for you is to first find the optimum running temperature for the tires, then measure the tire wear. If the inside tread depth and the outside tread depth is about the same after 2-3 DE days then your camber is good. I cannot say much for toe and caster. I'm sure people with more experience with these cars can jump in.

If you get into adjustable coilovers and sway bars you will be lost unless you can find an experienced race shop that run BMW's. I don't know how to dial in the suspension in terms of compression and rebound. And will have to learn how do adjust sway bars all over again because it's the opposite of the RR platform which I'm used to.

Hope this helps a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #36
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin911
Quote:
The component that gives you grip are the tires. If your tires are crappy even if you have the best suspension set up in the world you will not be able to find grip.

Without getting into r-comps (which usually require a second set of wheels specifically for track duty) I don't know what tires would be better than AD08's.

The suspension set up comes next. I don't believe the M3's sways are adjustable from factory. The stock suspension should hold up good enough depending on experience.

Once you find your preferable tires, what comes next is the alignment. Despite the fact that I've been a member here for just above a week I've seen people post camber numbers above -3 degrees, which to me sounds a little crazy. I don't know what alignment M3's come with from factory or the set up on the people's cars that posted such numbers, but it seems excessive for street cars.

I don't have much experience with the M3, but I do have track experience with Porsches. In my old GT3 with stock suspension and rose joints (rubber eliminated), which should be stiffer than M3's stock suspension, I still was running -2.6F and -2.3R of camber with r-compound tires.

With softer suspension you have more flex, meaning the chances of lifting the inside tires is less likely. So I see no reason to run such excess camber numbers. The stiffer the tires and the suspension the more camber you will need.

The best way to find the alignment that works for you is to first find the optimum running temperature for the tires, then measure the tire wear. If the inside tread depth and the outside tread depth is about the same after 2-3 DE days then your camber is good. I cannot say much for toe and caster. I'm sure people with more experience with these cars can jump in.

If you get into adjustable coilovers and sway bars you will be lost unless you can find an experienced race shop that run BMW's. I don't know how to dial in the suspension in terms of compression and rebound. And will have to learn how do adjust sway bars all over again because it's the opposite of the RR platform which I'm used to.

Hope this helps a bit.
That helps a lot. Thank you
      06-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #37
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

nice driving man. Wow, that porsche guy is a waste of air! But lucky him

There is a nice vid on youtube with a nice GT3rs 4.0.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #38
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Holy shit is the gt3 4.0 fast! and it is such a beautiful carThis was taken today, it was super hot (95+) and as you can see I am desperately trying to keep up to no avail. Notice how, near the end, the other porsches play "interference" Great day but track was a bit slick, seemed everybody was searching for grip all day. Enjoy
Hey Klammer just got the time to watch this video, and first of all, nice footage! I did notice that at first, you seemed to keep up with him a little bit, at the beginning. You would have kept up with him a little better, but after about a minute into the chase you were missing your breaking points, and apexes. As a guy who's a lot of time admiring your akra evo's at the track, (well, until your car gets smaller, and smaller, and then disappears into the horizon) I can tell you that I've learned to just let it go (especially after a mean flyby), and simply focus on my lines. See, once you start chasing, your eyes stay on the car you are chasing, and his lines, become your lines, which is a really bad thing, cuz it gives you an early or later entry.

Anyways this has me fired up for my next event, which is in 2 weeks! A little time, running with some stangs at MAM, is sure to help me test out my new mods, and improve my driving skills.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #39
pcload1etter
Rep
Drives: Evo

That Porsche's acceleration was unreal! I love the "damnit!" haha
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #40
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcload1etter View Post
Yeah, the 4.0 is a magical car. I still can't believe it's a 500 hp factory car with 4.0L displacement in a flat 6... Porsche has definitely nailed it with this car, it's a shame that the production was limited.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #41
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbenavitz View Post
Nice driving! Do u know of the Gt3 driver was Ed Green? Looks like he was taking the typical DE late apex philosophy to stay out of the weeds.
I noticed that as well.

Although the OP was in the wrong gear on a couple turns from watching, thus him falling slowly more and more behind. OP was the better driver but if he would have been in the correct gear in and out of the turns (saw 2 turns in wrong gear, still fast) the GT3 would have remained at the same distance up to at least 3-4 mins of that video IMO. I also notice sometimes when you are chasing someone down you start following their same lines. Not a good thing.

Still great track time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #42
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

here is my vid chasing GT3RS, I have 2ppl in the car and AC on.

4.0 is nice and all, but... last weekend I was at the ring I got a chance to chase GT2RS 997.... now that, that gentlemen is a true beast. It was the first one I saw as well. Stock it's 620hp RWD MT, but this one had Akro exhaust and according to owner 680hp.The owner of the car owns racing company worldpeace.cc Anyway, I'm SC with around 600hp, on the straights that porche was easily getting away from me.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #43
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Hey Klammer just got the time to watch this video, and first of all, nice footage! I did notice that at first, you seemed to keep up with him a little bit, at the beginning. You would have kept up with him a little better, but after about a minute into the chase you were missing your breaking points, and apexes. As a guy who's a lot of time admiring your akra evo's at the track, (well, until your car gets smaller, and smaller, and then disappears into the horizon) I can tell you that I've learned to just let it go (especially after a mean flyby), and simply focus on my lines. See, once you start chasing, your eyes stay on the car you are chasing, and his lines, become your lines, which is a really bad thing, cuz it gives you an early or later entry.

Anyways this has me fired up for my next event, which is in 2 weeks! A little time, running with some stangs at MAM, is sure to help me test out my new mods, and improve my driving skills.
I hear ya, can't know the limits until you pass them
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcload1etter View Post
Quote:
Yeah, the 4.0 is a magical car. I still can't believe it's a 500 hp factory car with 4.0L displacement in a flat 6... Porsche has definitely nailed it with this car, it's a shame that the production was limited.
I want one sooooo bad!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Koch View Post
I noticed that as well.

Although the OP was in the wrong gear on a couple turns from watching, thus him falling slowly more and more behind. OP was the better driver but if he would have been in the correct gear in and out of the turns (saw 2 turns in wrong gear, still fast) the GT3 would have remained at the same distance up to at least 3-4 mins of that video IMO. I also notice sometimes when you are chasing someone down you start following their same lines. Not a good thing.

Still great track time.
You are spot on! I rarely change gears (mostly focus on the line) but could definitely do better on the shifting. The journey continues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post

here is my vid chasing GT3RS, I have 2ppl in the car and AC on.

4.0 is nice and all, but... last weekend I was at the ring I got a chance to chase GT2RS 997.... now that, that gentlemen is a true beast. It was the first one I saw as well. Stock it's 620hp RWD MT, but this one had Akro exhaust and according to owner 680hp.The owner of the car owns racing company worldpeace.cc Anyway, I'm SC with around 600hp, on the straights that porche was easily getting away from me.
One day I'll get out to the ring.... one day!!
      07-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #44
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

This time the super fast car was a ZR1 and once again I am desperately trying to keep up. Over 110 on track today. Car did great, ran like a champ, 30 minute sessions so the heat was quite literally on