BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

01-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
HappyNDing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It drives me

How bad of an idea? Looking at 2011 M3 w/ 100K+ miles

I got the itch after seeing a clean title 2011 E90 M3 available near me for $22K but with 100K+ miles. Assuming I am not able to obtain previous service reports for the car - how bad of an idea it is to even think about it?

I've paid the used M3 tax before as I owned a E46 M3 ZCP (SMG) for less than 2 years and the maintenance costs were quite costly and I didn't even had to do the valve adjustment before I sold it! Granted, I was not as cautious with preventive maintenance on the E46 and that may have been a factor.

For the E90, I am aware of the RB and TA possible issues so I plan to have an inspection of the car then start getting maintenance done ASAP.
      01-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

About six months ago I picked up a 2012 E93 M3 with 93k miles or so.. only one owner, thing was loaded, nearly every option.. had a PPI done and the report came back great.. bought it and got the rod bearings done for peace of mind, changed all filters, spark plugs, updated all of the software/i-step etc and its been great. I drive it every day. The higher mileage M3's can be rock solid if maintained properly.
Appreciate 2
GH05710.50
IanMan384.00
      01-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I am 4 months and 4K miles into a 2009 E90 that had 96K miles when purchased. I wanted a lower mile e90 and budget wasn't a huge issue, but literally the day I received an insurance check and turned in my rental car (my previous BMW that was totalled in rear end) this E90M DCT space grey came up for sale 1 mile from my house..and being a pretty bad impulse buyer I ended up buying it two days later. There are not many M3s around this area of NC and I had no car and no time to wait. I did have a PPI done, but no service records, except I found a shop that said they did CF throttle actuator gears last year and the breaks are pretty new - have 10K and 15K miles left on them.

Sometimes I regret not looking for lower mileage one of the same spec, but then I think of the fact I have a fun DD for my 60 mile daily commute and it only cost 20 grand.. which is pretty damn cheap for the thrill it brings... So far, I've done BE rod bearings, replace underbelly pan, new plugs, OEM mod (worth it), and had to replace both taillights (only $108).

Being 100K Miles now, I have three or four items I think I'll have to deal with within the next 5-10K miles now that I've done some research:
1) Valve covers... cracking on paint, some small weeping, and I feel like it's going to need new ones soon enough.
2) Drive train... maybe but not sure yet..? just have a feeling eventually it's going to need to be replaced. It drives great, but the subtle tuning fork noise might be a sign of things to come. maybe not.. but others have said ~ 100K is when they had issues
3) Fluids... DCT, Diff, breaks, etc. Not certain when or if I need DCT and Diff changes, but I guess I should eventually do it anyways..
4) Suspension... no clue, but figure it's at the age things might break.

Depending on what's already been fixed or maintained, it could be an expensive time to own one.. But if the price is right and you don't mind the unknowns that could come, it still can be the right purchase. For me, I don't feel as bad having a fun daily driver for my long commute, and racking up 12K miles a year into a low mileage E9x. One day I'll swap Daily Drivers and either keep this one for fun, or sell and buy a lower mile E9x for occasional driving.. so depends on what you want now and later from the car.
Appreciate 2
NoHedge67.50
      01-03-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Pay less than $20k? Sure roll the dice but don't cry too much if you're then $5-10k deep in maintenance and repairs soon. Might as well get the $30k M3 with proper maintenance and less than 75k miles. Can't afford that M3? Well ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881104.00
joe6mt65.00
      01-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Keep looking for a lower mile example. I bought my E92 M3 with 53k miles for $24k, two owner car loaded with every option from the factory including premium sound and CF roof.

If the 100k mile car was $18k, it might be worth it. But at $22k, you should be able to find a lower mileage example for around the same price.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 12:54 AM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Honestly man we could not possibly know what went on with the car. If I crashed mine and needed a new one I would just base it on my own personal inspection. I'd want to have a lift to see the underside and if it all looked good throughout the car....I'd still expect to change RB's, oil, trans fluid, motor mounts, diff fluid and have the motor cleaned. I would assume a good bill of health until any signs told me otherwise like leaking. Then I would enjoy mainly.