BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Akrapovic X-Pipe to Ball & Socket Adapters

Update 8/31/21

WOW it's been a hot minute since I updated this thread. Well I finally got around to uninstalling my Akra evo x pipe to test the additional sets of adapters to sell to members. Here's how my set looked after over a year on the car and running it on track etc. I had this bolted up to a few different rear sections from a stainless GT2 to Titanium GT2 to Eisenmann Race and finally ACM mod. The titanium adapter started changing color to more closely match the akrapovic evo x pipe. Honestly I could've been fooled that this is something that Akra could've sold themselves.

Some things I've taken away since I've been working on this for a little bit...

Design wise it doesn't need to be fancy. Akrapovic's slip on adapter for their muffler to stock x pipe is a single piece design. I kept it simple and applied the same idea but the opposite way around. Tbh, I'm not sure why this wasn't the solution earlier as it's much more cost effective than a two piece design.

This part isn't so much about the adapter but the x pipe itself. The akra evo x pipe really quiets down the exhaust compared to the other x-pipes I've ran (bimmerworld & gintani - both dual res). The dual resonators do a great job at cutting down the rasp and smoothing out the tone up top if that's what you're looking for. The cats on my akra evo were gutted so it should be slightly louder than your standard akra evo.

If anyone has an akrapovic GT4 x pipe they want to sell me I'll be more than happy to give a reasonable offer on one so I can continue to test different setups and compare!

UPDATE: 4/30/21

Managed to actually get a set of adapters fabbed up for the akra xpipe. So these will differ from the RKP ones as these are a one piece design meant to just slip over the existing ends of the akra. I installed it with a my old titanium meisterschaft GT2 (way too loud btw). Currently now have it installed with my ACM mod. Here's a picture of the exhaust mounted and picture of the adapter. The adapters are also made out of titanium so fit and finish is pretty nice. I've been running them without clamps and honestly they've been fine. I don't notice any major exhaust leak or anything from the adapter portion. I'm sure if you would like peace of mind, any band clamp should work to secure these. The reason for me not running clamps on them is that the exhaust doesn't have a lot of front to back movement anyway so I didn't see a need.

I'd like to gauge interest to see how many sets I can have made up since there really has been no other option. Feel free to post here or drop me a PM!

Managed to score an akra evo x pipe and I'm going to be looking at pairing it with a rear section that utilizes the stock style ball & socket style clamps.

I understand that RKP no longer produces the adapters needed. I was wondering if anyone has done anything creative to get it to fit without those specific RKP adapters? I've seen a post where someone hacked up the ball connector off a stock exhaust but I'm not sure how the seal would be.

I've seen some of the universal ball & socket connectors available on JEGS so I'm going to guess that maybe those MIGHT work. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/31932/10002/-1

If I could get a few measurements I can report back to see if the above connectors from JEGS is feasible.
Akrapovic x-pipe outer diameter / inner diameter.
Stock ball & socket size both male and female ends.

If anyone has any inputs or ideas I'd be more than happy to give it a try

***UPDATE***

So got the 2.5" ball and socket adapter from summit instead (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-41723) and it looks like it can be cut down to size but the fit is a little tight since the pipe tapers down.

I'm going to purchase these instead since its a 2.5" I.D all the way through (https://www.amazon.com/HEDMAN-HEDDER.../dp/B00J9KMZN2) but so far it's looking good for an rkp adapter substitute.

Here are some pictures from a quick mockup I did.

Last edited by Senpai; 08-31-2021 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

V band clamps or just weld it
Appreciate 1
DRLane3968.00
      08-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #3
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

cut the end of the ball flange from another stock X pipe, flare it then clamp it on

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
nsogiba
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT Interlagos

I too am curious to see if the Jegs ball and socket flanges will work with the OEM setup.

2009 E92 M3 | 6MT | Interlagos Blue
Progress Thread

2016 F15 X5 35i | 8AT | Sophisto Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
I too am curious to see if the Jegs ball and socket flanges will work with the OEM setup.
Just ordered one to give it a shot. X pipe and the jegs flange should both arrive saturday so hopefully I'll have some good news.
      08-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
nsogiba
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpai View Post
Just ordered one to give it a shot. X pipe and the jegs flange should both arrive saturday so hopefully I'll have some good news.
Subscribed! Are you by chance on the FB E9X M3 page? I posted a link to the JEGs parts for someone asking about that.

2009 E92 M3 | 6MT | Interlagos Blue
Progress Thread

2016 F15 X5 35i | 8AT | Sophisto Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
Subscribed! Are you by chance on the FB E9X M3 page? I posted a link to the JEGs parts for someone asking about that.
Yeah I am! I saw that reply and decided to give it a shot! I wasn't too crazy about chopping the flange off the stock and then expanding it at the ball flange side. So if these can just slip on that'd be great.
      08-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Updated original post. Going to try new adapters.
      08-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #9
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, Melbourne Red, 6sp

Garage List
Attempting the Walker 41723 Adapter

Thanks for point me to this Senpai from the For Sale section. I am also hesitant to chop the ball flanges off of my stock x pipe and am sick of chopping connecting pipes and paying for custom welding to try different axlebacks with my Akrapovic x-pipe.

I've been able to dig up the following measurements to help us all out:
- Akrapovic X-Pipe ~60mm/2.375" OD slip-on connection.
- OEM X-Pipe is a 2.5" OD male ball-flange
- OEM Muffler is a 2.5" OD female ball flange

For anybody not familiar:
OD = Outside Diameter of the pipe
ID = Inside Diameter of the pipe

I have been pursuing this part on summit racing made by Walker as an option: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41723

Didn't work as well as I hoped but this is what I can share so far:
- The good news: I verified that this is the size flange (2.5"OD) that we need the akra to be adapted to because the walker's sealing surface mates to the akrapovic slip on adapter's mating surface (the adapter that comes with the axle-back to mate to the stock x pipe).
- The Bad news, the oem clamp does not clamp it together. The male flange on this Walker part isn't as "thick" as the oem ball flange so the oem clamp does not "squeeze" the flanges together. That problem may be able to be solved in a few ways: 1) adding a ring to fill that gap between the clamp inner wall and the walker flange, 2) finding a narrower clamp 3) retrofitting the muffler side to use the walker bolt setup

Any feedback or ideas on how to solve this clamping issue would be greatly appreciated.

If I can find an easy way to solve the clamping issue, then I can work on shortening (right before it expands to the 2.5"ID plain end) and adapting the plain end of it to attach/seal to the akra x-pipe.

I'll be bringing the car into the garage in the next week (installing my akrapovic axle-back) so I will take some measurements of the akrapovic x pipe and do some test fitments and see if it is close enough to continue pursuing the Walker as a cheap/easy option. I will report back as soon as I have more developments!

Good luck everybody!
Active Autowerke Pulley, Tune, and drop-in Filter. Full Akrapovic Evo Exhaust (dual resonated with secondary high flow cats).
Appreciate 1
Senpai480.00
      08-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #10
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappas Fritas View Post
Thanks for point me to this Senpai from the For Sale section. I am also hesitant to chop the ball flanges off of my stock x pipe and am sick of chopping connecting pipes and paying for custom welding to try different axlebacks with my Akrapovic x-pipe.

I've been able to dig up the following measurements to help us all out:
- Akrapovic X-Pipe ~60mm/2.375" OD slip-on connection.
- OEM X-Pipe is a 2.5" OD male ball-flange
- OEM Muffler is a 2.5" OD female ball flange

For anybody not familiar:
OD = Outside Diameter of the pipe
ID = Inside Diameter of the pipe

I have been pursuing this part on summit racing made by Walker as an option: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41723

Didn't work as well as I hoped but this is what I can share so far:
- The good news: I verified that this is the size flange (2.5"OD) that we need the akra to be adapted to because the walker's sealing surface mates to the akrapovic slip on adapter's mating surface (the adapter that comes with the axle-back to mate to the stock x pipe).
- The Bad news, the oem clamp does not clamp it together. The male flange on this Walker part isn't as "thick" as the oem ball flange so the oem clamp does not "squeeze" the flanges together. That problem may be able to be solved in a few ways: 1) adding a ring to fill that gap between the clamp inner wall and the walker flange, 2) finding a narrower clamp 3) retrofitting the muffler side to use the walker bolt setup

Any feedback or ideas on how to solve this clamping issue would be greatly appreciated.

If I can find an easy way to solve the clamping issue, then I can work on shortening (right before it expands to the 2.5"ID plain end) and adapting the plain end of it to attach/seal to the akra x-pipe.

I'll be bringing the car into the garage in the next week (installing my akrapovic axle-back) so I will take some measurements of the akrapovic x pipe and do some test fitments and see if it is close enough to continue pursuing the Walker as a cheap/easy option. I will report back as soon as I have more developments!

Good luck everybody!
I wasn't able to test fit a clamp since mine are still on the car . I ordered the Hedman Headers one off amazon since they offer free returns so if this doesn't work out I'll probably just look into finding a cheap stock x pipe to chop off the ball flange off that. Also looks like the hedman ones don't need to be cut down to size since the hedman ones are only 4" long.

Worst case scenario I might try to fill the gap with exhaust wrap? Just an idea but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'll probably eventually swap into an akra rear section and not have to deal with adapters.
      08-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #11
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Senpai I just realized we're both pursuing the same part !

Did the Walker adapter seal against the wider 2.5" diameter or did it need to go to the narrow part of the Walker adapter?

Also, I think your adapter is currently too long and will mess with mounting your axleback. Let me find a picture of how it looks installed.
Active Autowerke Pulley, Tune, and drop-in Filter. Full Akrapovic Evo Exhaust (dual resonated with secondary high flow cats).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #12
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a picture I found of the RKP adapter installed on the akra X-pipe. I'm pretty sure we are going to be able to "slip" the adapter over the x-pipe to the right location THEN clamp it down for the seal.

I don't know this for sure, only basing it off this picture I came across. You may want to do a test fit of your existing setup on your car before messing with what you have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #13
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
D1ESEL and EMKOOP. Saw your interest in the RKP WTB Posting so looping you into this post by Senpai . We're both trying to find a cost effective way of making RKP adapters.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:58 PM   #14
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

So technically if you just had this end piece that was able to be clamped on to Akra's it would work?

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:44 PM   #15
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Here is a picture I found of the RKP adapter installed on the akra X-pipe. I'm pretty sure we are going to be able to "slip" the adapter over the x-pipe to the right location THEN clamp it down for the seal.

I don't know this for sure, only basing it off this picture I came across. You may want to do a test fit of your existing setup on your car before messing with what you have.
Quote:
Senpai I just realized we're both pursuing the same part !

Did the Walker adapter seal against the wider 2.5" diameter or did it need to go to the narrow part of the Walker adapter?

Also, I think your adapter is currently too long and will mess with mounting your axleback. Let me find a picture of how it looks installed.
Yeah! So in terms of fitment there wasn't a seal against the 2.5" diameter piping but where it narrowed down thats when it sealed. I didn't want to push the adapter all the way down since it still needs to be cut to size but it would definitely be a task to take it back off when the time comes. I'm hoping the 2.5" adapters can clamp down and form a good seal OR put some exhaust wrap underneath the clamp and then clamp it down to seal it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
So technically if you just had this end piece that was able to be clamped on to Akra's it would work?

The attachment isn't showing up.
      08-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #16
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So in terms of fitment there wasn't a seal against the 2.5" diameter piping but where it narrowed down thats when it sealed.
Awesome, that's what I was expecting but glad to have it confirmed.

Quote:
The attachment isn't showing up.
I added the attachment to an album in my profile, so it should work now:

If not, use this link: https://www.m3post.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=76329

If neither works, go to my profile and access my album haha.
Appreciate 1
Senpai480.00
      08-09-2020, 12:38 AM   #17
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

IIRC the rkp adaptors were titanium with a billet steel ring, that's why they were $500.
      08-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #18
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

This part
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #19
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
This part
Yeah that part but would probably need to be without the taper down since it needs to slide over the akra pipe. The taper might keep it from sliding down the akra pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #20
Bomiz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This part
Yeah that part but would probably need to be without the taper down since it needs to slide over the akra pipe. The taper might keep it from sliding down the akra pipe.
I don't think the taper is aggressive enough to not slide through. I'll measure it for you
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #21
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
I don't think the taper is aggressive enough to not slide through. I'll measure it for you
That'd be great! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #22
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The Akrapovic X-Pipe is smaller diameter than the oem piping, so much so that I believe it can fit inside the OEM piping. May be a really snug fit though. I'm not sure though, I'm basing this off the way the RKP adapters are slipped on/installed in that attachment I sent earlier.
Appreciate 0