BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

06-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #23
Number96
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
Saw your other post too... not sure this will 100% answer your question or not.

First off though, are you set on going aftermarket? I ask because used speakers and amps are fairly abundant on the forum and eBay. Most BMW speakers of this generation are similar size and shape and from my research use same electric plug. I have swapped out the basic audio in my X3 with M3 premium speakers bought off eBay. straight plug and play except for needing the crossovers for front speakers (X3 basic didn't use inline xovers the way the M3 does).

This might me a good alternative for you and remove some of the anxiety and unknowns associated with going aftermarket.
This is actually a great idea - I did have a quick search but there really wasnt much in Australia... I will keep looking though! Thanks for the reply!

N96
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #24
Number96
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Could you tell the speakers were "blown" before you pulled them out or did it only become obvious afterwards? Only asking as I'm still wondering why my E90's 825W 16 speaker Individual system doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my old E82's 250W 10 speaker HK did. Maybe I've got some dodgy speakers?
The sound wasnt great TBH - I could see through the speaker grill that the cone didnt look right. It was not too hard to take the door card off either - there are good instructions on the web. Just remember to take the door handle screws off - they are hidden and some tutorials do not mention it! Maybe you could take your door card off and see what they look like?
Appreciate 1
TimMc44.00
      07-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #25
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

I had a 335 with HK, went to M3 with Individual.

I agree with most responses from those that owned both.

Similar sound with lower volumes - not much difference: just sounds like different coverage within the cabin, but not one better than the other. High volumes, Individual is able to keep clarity across the different ranges. Strong lows and clear highs, without one overpowering the other. Songs like chemical bros come to mind where you want the full range at high vol without distortion or bias. I couldn't crank up the HK too high, which never really bothered me, as I assumed it's a stock system and it's asking too much.

Individual can handle high volumes similar to an aftermarket system, which can be surprising, but clearly a true aftermarket you can further step up the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #26
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number96 View Post
The sound wasnt great TBH - I could see through the speaker grill that the cone didnt look right. It was not too hard to take the door card off either - there are good instructions on the web. Just remember to take the door handle screws off - they are hidden and some tutorials do not mention it! Maybe you could take your door card off and see what they look like?
Thanks. So was it only the mids in the door that were blown?