BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

06-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

iDrive Delete?

I currently have an 08 M3 with CCC iDrive, and would prefer to just remove the system since it is so dated. My 1er is a non-nav car, and I much prefer the clean look and simple interface on the dashboard.

My concerns are:
  • finding all the necessary parts
  • stripping the dash down/replacing without rattles and broken bits
  • making sure all of the Mdrive functionality is retained

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Does the M button still work without iDrive? Are the steering, MDM, and traction control options still available?

I think partswise I need: dash, headunit, headunit mounting bracket, climate control trim, 6MT center console trim. The rest I could use some input on.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
I currently have an 08 M3 with CCC iDrive, and would prefer to just remove the system since it is so dated. My 1er is a non-nav car, and I much prefer the clean look and simple interface on the dashboard.

My concerns are:

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Does the M button still work without iDrive? Are the steering, MDM, and traction control options still available?

I think partswise I need: dash, headunit, headunit mounting bracket, climate control trim, 6MT center console trim. The rest I could use some input on.

Cheers!
Where did you land with this? In sounds the same now curious about accessing MDM, options.
      02-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
thadoggfatha
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5

Quote:

My concerns are:

Cheers!
Have you made any progress on this. I am looking to do the same!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry, haven't been too active on the boards lately.

Did not get around to this, still waffling between some sort of Android unit replacement and the delete. I haven't been able to find anyone who has experience with what happens to the M-drive on the software-side when the CCC is removed.

Still on the hunt though, and will surely post a thread about it if I go through with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Sorry, haven't been too active on the boards lately.

Did not get around to this, still waffling between some sort of Android unit replacement and the delete. I haven't been able to find anyone who has experience with what happens to the M-drive on the software-side when the CCC is removed.

Still on the hunt though, and will surely post a thread about it if I go through with it.
I removed my CCC. Stereo unit, idrive unit, speakers, amp, tuner. Didn't do any coding yet.

The M button activates MDM without any errors. I'll strip this out too once I switch steering wheels.

Able to manage resetting service intervals, etc via the stalk. I can't change setting however, but I've been told I need the non idrive command unit to transfer this via coding 🤷🏻*♂️
      03-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
VikAry
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:

My concerns are:

Cheers!
This is what I have in my track car. I have dedicated buttons for M and DSC which allow me to switch between 3 modes: M, MDM and Regular. I removed my iDrive because I do not have a radio and do no change my M settings.

Name:  99A99391-2CC3-445E-B09D-9AD63AA25F0F.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  395.7 KB
      05-04-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally followed through with this project.

Sourced the parts at a local BMW scrapyard, who was very helpful in getting everything together (thanks Nick @ CIC Retrofits, and Prussian Motors!)

Following parts are needed:
  • 51167903964 - Cover centre console, front
  • 51457075394 - Instrument carrier, instrument panel
  • 51457143779 - Panel for instrum. panel, single scoop
  • 64116966407 - Front plate, contr. auto air conditioner
  • 65129170329 - Exch. radio BMW Professional CD**

**radio p/n may vary on application

Before starting with hardware, I disconnected the iDrive screen and coded out $609 to test if the M-button ($2MD) still worked - it did. M-button activated MDM mode, the POWER button, and set the EDC to full stiff. It also stiffened up the servotronic steering when activated.

I used the E90_idrive_retrofit.pdf guide that's available elsewhere to pull the dash and carefully set the parts aside along with the screws/bolts/fasteners as not to lose anything.

Coding required:
  • remove $609, $620, $6UH from VO
  • add $663
  • Use Tool32 to change the VIN on the radio
  • I had to change my build date from #1207 to #0311 to get the 2URAD module to show in NCSExpert (thanks SF Coding)

I am still seeing a small bug where the radio switches source along with the M-button, same as experienced by other members noted here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825

Still trying to work that out, but even if I can't, small price to pay for the clean lines and simplicity of the new dash!
Appreciate 1
DRLane3985.50
      05-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #8
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Finally followed through with this project.

Sourced the parts at a local BMW scrapyard, who was very helpful in getting everything together (thanks Nick @ CIC Retrofits, and Prussian Motors!)

Following parts are needed:
  • 51167903964 - Cover centre console, front
  • 51457075394 - Instrument carrier, instrument panel
  • 51457143779 - Panel for instrum. panel, single scoop
  • 64116966407 - Front plate, contr. auto air conditioner
  • 65129170329 - Exch. radio BMW Professional CD**

**radio p/n may vary on application

Before starting with hardware, I disconnected the iDrive screen and coded out $609 to test if the M-button ($2MD) still worked - it did. M-button activated MDM mode, the POWER button, and set the EDC to full stiff. It also stiffened up the servotronic steering when activated.

I used the E90_idrive_retrofit.pdf guide that's available elsewhere to pull the dash and carefully set the parts aside along with the screws/bolts/fasteners as not to lose anything.

Coding required:
  • remove $609, $620, $6UH from VO
  • add $663
  • Use Tool32 to change the VIN on the radio
  • I had to change my build date from #1207 to #0311 to get the 2URAD module to show in NCSExpert (thanks SF Coding)

I am still seeing a small bug where the radio switches source along with the M-button, same as experienced by other members noted here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825

Still trying to work that out, but even if I can't, small price to pay for the clean lines and simplicity of the new dash!
Nice work man! Thanks for the coding specs.