BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-27-2015, 03:44 AM   #1
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 CP Jerez Black

What Track Events/Races can i enter in California?

So I have my 2011 e92 m3 DCT, plan on doing some work on it and curious, are and where are there events or races that i can enter in with my car with it being lightly modded and still basically normal weight?
Or what more must i do to it (weight reduction) for instance to enter in a race with my car in California?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
You need years of training and experience before you can "race". But if you just want to take your car out on a race track and drive around you can do that anytime on our SoCal tracks with HPDE track event companies like Speed District, Speed Ventures, BMW CCA, etc.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Unfortunately you don't need years of training to race. Any of the major 3-4 day racing schools will typically get you a rookie license with NASA or SCCA. I think that is a bad thing, but it is a fact.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Unfortunately you don't need years of training to race. Any of the major 3-4 day racing schools will typically get you a rookie license with NASA or SCCA. I think that is a bad thing, but it is a fact.
Yup. 3-day school + money and you too can be a real Race Car Driver and look down on all those silly HPDE guys!

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so you say one thing another person says another, I'm already informed on the track events nearby, asking for real race events that i can enter my car in thanks!
      12-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So you say school+$ and license to enter into races, thanks, but doesn't answer my question, again if you could give me some SPECIFICS, and or let me know any events, thats ALL IM ASKING
      12-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

first, pump the brakes and attend an event like the ones speeddistrict hosts. start in the beginner group and opt for the driving instruction. at the end of the day you'll have a good idea of if this is what you want to do and what you'll really want to do to your car.
      12-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3
Quote:
Yup. 3-day school + money and you too can be a real Race Car Driver and look down on all those silly HPDE guys!
And they are always so awfully obvious in the video from our car. They are lost, don't know the line, can't figure out a line or an apex. They are a danger on track. Clueless when being lapped. Scary.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 818m3e92
So you say school+$ and license to enter into races, thanks, but doesn't answer my question, again if you could give me some SPECIFICS, and or let me know any events, thats ALL IM ASKING
Don't try to race, so forget about that. Just go to DE's for a while. PCA, BMW or any of the good independent groups that will put an instructor with comms in the car with you every sessions and give you several classroom sessions per day. Do a whole weekend. Don't try to do just a day.

California is kind of a big state. Why don't you be more specific on location so people can help. There are the SoCal guys and the NorCal guys. Different tracks, different events, different organizers.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Well, you can race with BMW CCA club racing after you put a full roll cage and other safety gear into your car. NASA is another group you can race with. Very similar safety requirements. Open road challenge events like the Lund-Hiko event in Nevada offer opportunities to "race" too. Safety requirements vary depending on which speed class you run in. Google will help you discover specific requirements in each sanctioning organization.

If you want to 'run against the clock' then look into time trials or autocross events. Safety requirements are lower.

However, your attitude as portrayed in your responses to people who are trying to help you, suggests that you don't have the right frame of mind to race. Your enthusiasm is nice, but please slow your roll a touch. And before you respond to me like you responded to the others who tried to help you, don't. I'm too old to care and you'll just add evidence for the prosecution. Besides, I can lap you without working up a sweat at any track event on the west coast you want to go to, and I'm one of the slower ones here.

Now, if you really want to learn how to drive well and eventually race, there is a huge amount of experience here that can help (myself included). All you have to do is listen. Your call...

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well it shows I'm in los angeles doesn't it? also I'm aware how big cali is thanks but I'm up north and in so cal so isn't a issue for me just looking for places as this is a discussion forum and I'm just trying to get info.
      12-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #12
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thats funny you say my "attitude", if you notice all i did was post on a discussion forum a question on events that someone may know of that i can enter. But what i have noticed like your comment "i will lap you without breaking a sweat", is pretty aggressive coming from the fact you know nothing of me? I have not challenged you have i? This is a DISCUSSION forum, too many jerks think there a genius and are all professional racers and are better then everyone else, why can't a person just make a post and get positive feedback? IF its help you claim to offer then why act demeaning to me? Plus the other guy adds to my point off assholes talking about dumb idiots who can't drive on a track, or don't understand a simple apex. Im sorry, i guess I'm not as cool as you guys to have all this info, but why come to conclusion on me when all i did is ask a question? Why get so defensive when all I'm seeking is information from what "should be"like you said guys who can help? Thats why i make a post on Bimmerpost because I'm hoping there will be some guys with knowledge who can give me some info, but thanks for spending the time to give me whatever info has been provided, maybe you "older" guys can try to just lend me some info or, good read and comment on someone else's post if you don't like what I'm saying.

I have a friend who's a instructor at willow springs and button willow, also is a professional race car driver, but he's too busy to give me any info, i mean i don't need to get into my personal life, but i don't need to talk smack like I'm great or not, I'm not here to do that, hopefully your better off offering me to bring my car to a track where you can be and you can "SHOW" me how you'll walk me, and maybe you will, and maybe i won't be as bad, either way I'm enthusiastic about going to the track, I'm not there to total my car or anyone else's or affect anyones personal track time or lap time, i simply want to enjoy what so many of us do! Don't hate me for that, thanks.
      12-27-2015, 11:11 PM   #13
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

but thanks for the info on BMW CCA club, never heard of it, I've done searches on google tend to find nothing at all, so thats why i was hoping to be directed to something direct, so like you said roll cage, okay thank you so these are things I'm interested in, i would like to know some of these requirements, thanks for the info, any site or contact you could share so i can know what i need to do or need, thank you!
      12-28-2015, 12:45 AM   #14
wheatpaste
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

There are many different ways to get on track. HPDEs (high performance driving events) are very popular. Personally I would suggest looking at Hooked On Driving. They are a very well run organization, and have events all over California as well as in other states. Here's a link to their upcoming SoCal events:

https://www.hookedondriving.com/hook...ifornia-Region

There are lots of other organizations out there that run similar track day events, many that have already been mentioned in this thread.

Go in with an open mind and be willing to learn. If you go in like hot shit you will be humbled very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:32 AM   #15
818m3e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you so much, and no 100% I'm trying to go in and learn and enjoy and be controlled, I'm not trying to ruin anyones day, or pretend to be a pro, I'm a beginner, but thanks for the link, i will definitely be checking it out!
      12-28-2015, 02:28 AM   #16
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Honestly I think this is just a misunderstanding - I often get asked if I'm "racing" by people who really don't know much about this curious hobby of ours, and while yes, I am - against my own times - and against friends in a bit of friendly competition, it's very, very, very different from wheel to wheel, which is what I think of when I think of racing - which is what I think most of us were thinking he was looking to jump into, but for a newcomer, it seems like semantics.

OP, you can't go wrong with Hooked on Driving, though you are paying a hefty premium for their services. They are quite professionally run, and sometimes the quality of their instruction can vary, since it's dependent on the coaches. I did a couple events with them and the coaches I had were outstanding and really helped me to get familiar with the car/track.

They are very by the book, and stunts like drifting, even through MDM is frowned upon - they want you to have complete control of the car before you start letting the back end loose. Going off course results in a chit chat, and repeated off course events will result in your day ending. They are no-nonsense, but I don't see Fast and Furious going on around me at a daily basis, or crazy shit where people dive bomb you in apexes. That stuff is cut in the bud. In short, it's a very safe place to start out from.

I still consider myself a big noob even though I've been on the track for a total of 18 days, many of those for 2-3 hours a day. I'm a slow guy in a moderately fast car, but it's so rewarding when you see yourself get faster and faster on a day to day basis.

This is an expensive hobby - I tallied what I spent this year on mods, track fees, gas, hotels, food, and it was eye opening - but it's so damn fun, I can't think of anything else I would rather be doing.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 02:49 AM   #17
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Honestly I think this is just a misunderstanding - I often get asked if I'm "racing" by people who really don't know much about this curious hobby of ours, and while yes, I am - against my own times - and against friends in a bit of friendly competition, it's very, very, very different from wheel to wheel, which is what I think of when I think of racing - which is what I think most of us were thinking he was looking to jump into, but for a newcomer, it seems like semantics.

OP, you can't go wrong with Hooked on Driving, though you are paying a hefty premium for their services. They are quite professionally run, and sometimes the quality of their instruction can vary, since it's dependent on the coaches. I did a couple events with them and the coaches I had were outstanding and really helped me to get familiar with the car/track.

They are very by the book, and stunts like drifting, even through MDM is frowned upon - they want you to have complete control of the car before you start letting the back end loose. Going off course results in a chit chat, and repeated off course events will result in your day ending. They are no-nonsense, but I don't see Fast and Furious going on around me at a daily basis, or crazy shit where people dive bomb you in apexes. That stuff is cut in the bud. In short, it's a very safe place to start out from.

I still consider myself a big noob even though I've been on the track for a total of 18 days, many of those for 2-3 hours a day. I'm a slow guy in a moderately fast car, but it's so rewarding when you see yourself get faster and faster on a day to day basis.

This is an expensive hobby - I tallied what I spent this year on mods, track fees, gas, hotels, food, and it was eye opening - but it's so damn fun, I can't think of anything else I would rather be doing.
Yup. Everyone who has no business at a track thinks I'm "racing". I always correct them stating I'm not racing. I'm just driving on a race track at a quick pace.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
These are pretty solid videos to get started and make the most of your time:

12-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest

+1. I think you hit it on the head. Misunderstanding from racing (wheel to wheel) vs HPDE (bringing car on track).

OP as others have said, you can try out racing schools and or HPDE events held by organizations such as Speeddistrict and speedventure etc. they offer instruction as well.
      12-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
Wow. Hooked on Driving is $$$
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #21
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Wow. Hooked on Driving is $$$
Yeah, it's the only reason I'm not running any more events with them, lol. They were good to me though when I was starting out. I mean, I was paying for all day instruction and my coach was fantastic.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818m3e92 View Post
So I have my 2011 e92 m3 DCT, plan on doing some work on it and curious, are and where are there events or races that i can enter in with my car with it being lightly modded and still basically normal weight?
Or what more must i do to it (weight reduction) for instance to enter in a race with my car in California?
Thanks
Just to clear any misunderstanding, are you talking about wheel to wheel racing or are just trying to get your car on the track?

To race, you need to have a properly prepared car, which means at a minimum a full cage build to whatever class you intend to race in along with other safety gear, like race seat, harness, fire suppression, kill switch, etc. Based on what I see in your sig, your car would be not be race eligible.

To experience the track in the car in its current state, you can sign up for HPDE. Folks mentioned HOD. There is also BMW CCA, PCA, Chin and NASA. I am sure there are others, but they are the ones that I have run with (in Texas, but they also run events in California).

If your goal is to race, then I recommend starting with NASA (www.nasaproracing.com). They have HPDE events for newbies. You can progress to Time Trials (street car) and then if you so desire you can get a license with to do wheel to wheel racing, but again you need a properly prepped car.

Best of luck.

Denis
Appreciate 1