BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

05-17-2024, 10:46 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Mr12volt or Avinusa carplay system?

Fella's,

It looks like there are two options I'm aware of to go with. My system is a ccc iDrive and plan to upgrade to the cic for functionality since my DVD took a dump and I no longer can use my navigation so might as well upgrade.

With that, there is a lot of info I'm still trying to gather but wanted peoples experience with either or both systems. Mr12Volt vs. going with the Avinusa.

What pro's and con's? Connectivity issues, installation issues. Customer support level of help? etc.

Thanks,
RB
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #2
o_g
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '22 Ioniq5

It may depend on how much you want to spend, and if you are concerned about audio quality.

The Avin is a complete replacement screen with an Android system built-in. It uses the Aux-in to feed audio.

Mr12Volt is an extension to your current iDrive system (either CCC or CIC), and is MOST fibrer loop compatible, so audio quality should be much better.

If you upgrade to the CIC, then you have a better screen and controller. You should check if there are compatibility issues with a CCC upgraded system with Mr12Volt.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_g View Post
It may depend on how much you want to spend, and if you are concerned about audio quality.

The Avin is a complete replacement screen with an Android system built-in. It uses the Aux-in to feed audio.

Mr12Volt is an extension to your current iDrive system (either CCC or CIC), and is MOST fibrer loop compatible, so audio quality should be much better.

If you upgrade to the CIC, then you have a better screen and controller. You should check if there are compatibility issues with a CCC upgraded system with Mr12Volt.

Thank you! Well, as for cost I’m already in the mindset to make it better and as long as it ask works out, then the cost is worth it as I’m the original owner and doubt I’ll be buying a new M4 any time soon ($$$$$) lol!

If the sound quality is the same as either using my iPhone or iPod currently through the aux then I shouldn’t notice any different I would hope. And I do plan to upgrade to cic as I think I’m already committed to it. Hoping the wiring isn’t too much of a puzzle for me then should work out.

I’d be using iPhone so with the Avin, sounds like it will Interface but only through the head unit touch screen, which is fine I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:33 PM   #4
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

The cleanest and best end result would to be to retrofit CIC and then add a mr12volt box.

In addition to the end goal of getting carplay, you'll get the updated idrive interface for configuring the rest of the car, which is leaps and bounds better than the CCC interface that preceded it. You'll also get a higher resolution screen which makes carplay look considerably better than the resolution used by CCC.

The real advantage that the AVIN setup offers is the ability to add touch functionality to the screen. However, the idrive screen in the e9x is not placed anywhere where it is intended or comfortable to be touched, because its not. For that reason, I just don't consider it an important reason.

Mr12volt will deliver superior audio quality, and there's no getting around that. Until other companies start offering kits with MOST audio instead of AUX audio, it's the only sane choice.

A third option could be to retrofit NBT-EVO, which has native carplay, but that is a complex and expensive upgrade. CIC is significantly easier to retrofit in comparison.

You say you are the original owner of the car. I'm assuming since you still have it, that it's well taken care of. I'd go for the clean approach with the cic + mr12volt. The mr12volt system could be hypothetically replaced with some future device years from now, but at least you'll have CIC as the base with the higher resolution screen.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:45 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
The cleanest and best end result would to be to retrofit CIC and then add a mr12volt box.

In addition to the end goal of getting carplay, you'll get the updated idrive interface for configuring the rest of the car, which is leaps and bounds better than the CCC interface that preceded it. You'll also get a higher resolution screen which makes carplay look considerably better than the resolution used by CCC.

The real advantage that the AVIN setup offers is the ability to add touch functionality to the screen. However, the idrive screen in the e9x is not placed anywhere where it is intended or comfortable to be touched, because its not. For that reason, I just don't consider it an important reason.

Mr12volt will deliver superior audio quality, and there's no getting around that. Until other companies start offering kits with MOST audio instead of AUX audio, it's the only sane choice.

A third option could be to retrofit NBT-EVO, which has native carplay, but that is a complex and expensive upgrade. CIC is significantly easier to retrofit in comparison.

You say you are the original owner of the car. I'm assuming since you still have it, that it's well taken care of. I'd go for the clean approach with the cic + mr12volt. The mr12volt system could be hypothetically replaced with some future device years from now, but at least you'll have CIC as the base with the higher resolution screen.

Thank you for the detailed input. I think that is all I need to know to make the choice. I’ll go with the Mr12v once I get the CiC system up and running, still got to order everything. There is an eBay seeker that will code with my vin I’ve been in contact with so hopefully I’ll get a nice set up that works properly.
Appreciate 0