BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
RedBarron
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Trip to NYC, Things to do?

My self and my slam peice and two of her friends are going to NYC for 5 days. I have never been to NYC so I am a little excited. I will be staying in Times Square, what are some fun things I should and or must do while in NYC? Places to eat, place to see and things to do at night?

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Alina
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 335i

There are a lot of things you could do in NYC, depending on how you like to spend your time. I don't know much about New York night life so I can't help you with that. But a word of good advice is to print yourself a map of New York, pin point the places you want to see, split them into sections of close proximity, and handle a section at a time since there's so much to do. Don't be afraid to use the metro and definitely get a weekly metro pass of some sort instead of paying for each trip individually. Everything in NY is in such close proximity, you'll be shocked. A lot of walking though.

Some places I think are a must to visit: Time Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park (Metropolitan Museum), Greenwich Village, Fao Schwarz Toy Store (and the cool Apple Store next to it). Shopping (or window shopping) on 34th Street, where Macy's and all the good places are. So many things to do!

Food: If you like chinese dumplings, go to Joe's Shanghai (in China Town off Canal Street I think) and try their "soup dumplings". It's pretty cool and definitely good. If you like french fries and like trying different types of dipping sauces besides ketchup, try Pommes Frites on 2nd St near Greenwich Village. If you like Halal Gyro, try the cart on 6th street and 53rd (It's down the street from Radio City. Look for the one with the really long line and get both sauces in your gyro, red and white. Also next to radio city is Magnolia Bakery; they have other desserts, but try the banana pudding. You MUST try the ramen and pork buns at Ippudo on 4th street; very good food and fun ambiance. I forgot what kind of ramen I had, but it involved spicy miso broth.

Have fun! I might be heading to NYC in august. It's going to be so hot and humid...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
omgitselainee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina View Post
There are a lot of things you could do in NYC, depending on how you like to spend your time. I don't know much about New York night life so I can't help you with that. But a word of good advice is to print yourself a map of New York, pin point the places you want to see, split them into sections of close proximity, and handle a section at a time since there's so much to do. Don't be afraid to use the metro and definitely get a weekly metro pass of some sort instead of paying for each trip individually. Everything in NY is in such close proximity, you'll be shocked. A lot of walking though.

Some places I think are a must to visit: Time Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park (Metropolitan Museum), Greenwich Village, Fao Schwarz Toy Store (and the cool Apple Store next to it). Shopping (or window shopping) on 34th Street, where Macy's and all the good places are. So many things to do!

Food: If you like chinese dumplings, go to Joe's Shanghai (in China Town off Canal Street I think) and try their "soup dumplings". It's pretty cool and definitely good. If you like french fries and like trying different types of dipping sauces besides ketchup, try Pommes Frites on 2nd St near Greenwich Village. If you like Halal Gyro, try the cart on 6th street and 53rd (It's down the street from Radio City. Look for the one with the really long line and get both sauces in your gyro, red and white. Also next to radio city is Magnolia Bakery; they have other desserts, but try the banana pudding. You MUST try the ramen and pork buns at Ippudo on 4th street; very good food and fun ambiance. I forgot what kind of ramen I had, but it involved spicy miso broth.

Have fun! I might be heading to NYC in august. It's going to be so hot and humid...
That line for the Halal Gyro is craaazy !! There must be a line of 20 people for hours and hours but they're pretty quick sooo the wait if worth it !! Now i'm huuungry and its only 800am in am !!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Cptn Mo 703
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet

Garage List
NYC is tight... Here are a few things that I did/do every time i go.

- +1 on the gyro stand, it's banging

- There's alot of comedy shows at night in times square so you'll have plenty of time to check out one of those.

- Go to 5th ave and just watch all the ballers there, I was the the Burberry store last time buying a shirt and Birdman and his goons came in threw a LV bag of cash on the table and told the workers to start counting, and then the pretty much kicked me out but in a nice polite way lol

- Check out a yankee's game, don't buy tickets from anybody on the street though.

- the waterfront in lower manhattan is nice during the day, few nice places to eat and it's close to ground zero so you can check that out too

- there are these 2 streets that I love going to, it's called Bleecker st and Ludlow st and basically it's jus rows and rows of bars and they are always packed. I think it's nerd NYU and Columbia so you get the crowd from there. That was my first time ever seeing beer pong games at a bar. Def. Check out those places.

Other than that just do your normal touristy stuff lol have fun
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

nintendo world store
      07-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Go to Katz Deli.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Go to Katz Deli.
The absolute best Deli in NYC. Avoid Carnegie Deli at all costs, nothing but an old reputation keeping it afloat.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

I go to NYC 4-5 times a year just to eat, shop and see shows. Here's my food stops when I am in town..

- Excellent Dumplings
- Rao's
- Pepolino
- Katz
- Lombardi's
- Dove Tail
- Ippudo
- Norma's (for breakfast)
- Per Se

I never recommend steak in NYC as generally it's poor, but Bobby Van's is always good (45th and about Lex if I remember right. They have AWESOME french onion soup if you're into that.

Also if you're staying at Times Square at the W there's a restaurant downstairs that you get get to if you make a immediate right coming out of the elevators at the street called Blue Fin. Generally I avoid Times square restaurants like herpes, but they had a gnocchi and lump crab in brown butter that is really spectacular.

If you're into Jazz music at all there's a place called Miles Cafe, it's a mostly asian joint, with plastic chairs and bad service in what looks like an apartment... The music is amazing and worth the venture. Birdland is always a hit if someone good is playing.

I can go on and on about NYC for a guy that doesn't live there. Let me know if you want any other info. Happy to help..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

And one other thing.. Don't spend your time in Times Square.. It's a trap and doesn't really represent NYC..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Katz Deli is meh.
      07-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
And one other thing.. Don't spend your time in Times Square.. It's a trap and doesn't really represent NYC..
+1 million. Real NYC is not times square.
      07-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post

I never recommend steak in NYC as generally it's poor, but Bobby Van's is always good (45th and about Lex if I remember right. They have AWESOME french onion soup if you're into that.
I and many culinary experts beg to differ. NYC has some of the best Steakhouses going. Heres one list of some of the top contenders.
http://gonyc.about.com/od/restaurant...teakhouses.htm
Sparks has the added bonus of the joint where Mob Boss Paul Castelano was rubbed out in front of by Gotti's boys.
My personal favorite, The Old Homestead. Lived nearby back in the early 90's and ate there a couple times a year, including my Honeymoon. The best dry aged steaks going. IMO.
Dont dismiss NYC Steakhouses. Everybody I know who visits has a favorite or two must go to's while here.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Katz Deli is meh.
This, it's like eating in a cafeteria and food is so-so
      07-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
This, it's like eating in a cafeteria and food is so-so
+1

The portions and cuts are barbaric and the place is a pig sty. Crap all over the floor (sawdust?).......WAY overrated. Almost reminds me of being in a beer hall in Munich. If you want the real stuff go to a nice Brazilian steakhouse - Churascarria Plataforma.......amazing stuff.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant...ia_plataforma/ DELICIOUS
      07-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1

The portions and cuts are barbaric and the place is a pig sty. Crap all over the floor (sawdust?).......WAY overrated. Almost reminds me of being in a beer hall in Munich. If you want the real stuff go to a nice Brazilian steakhouse - Churascarria Plataforma.......amazing stuff.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant...ia_plataforma/ DELICIOUS
1-Whats wrong with Beer Halls in Germany? Most of us have had a hell of a good time at them.
2-How can you compare a steakhouse to a deli?
3- I'll take the NY Times review as well as most reviews on the place. Most rate it at the top(talking delis)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/30/di...ws/30rest.html
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
F30.N54.lol
Tech
South Korea
Rep
Drives: M340 /GTR

Enjoy times square just enough to see it its a crazy tourist trap, hit up artichoke on 14st great artichoke slice , hit up williamsburg/greenpoint(also has great spots to take pictures of the NYC skyline) for some dinner and great bar hopping , check out yelp it can also lead you in the right direction. Also the spots the guy mentioned before by the colleges are awesome spots NoHo has great spots alot of college kids, soho more trendy. Another touristy activity hit up Columbus circle cool to see and its right next to central park so kill two birds with one stone. Oh and with the comdey clubs dont listen to those shmucks standing in times square trying to sell u tickets to a show its usually horrible stuff the only good club in the vicinity of times square is carolines ,and if your looking for a great comedy club hit up comedy cellar. Yeah and def hit up a halal cart 53rd and 6th(be ready for lines) its like crack ask for extra white sauce ! oh and dont forget to go to chinatown to get yourself a folex

Sorry for the big run-on paragraph
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
1-Whats wrong with Beer Halls in Germany? Most of us have had a hell of a good time at them.
2-How can you compare a steakhouse to a deli?
3- I'll take the NY Times review as well as most reviews on the place. Most rate it at the top(talking delis)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/30/di...ws/30rest.html
lol have you been to Katz? as far as I'm concerned everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is as valid as anyone elses.
      07-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

I'll be heading to Brooklyn, NY in 4 days. Going to visit my sisters brand new apartment. Any good places in Brooklyn, NY.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
F30.N54.lol
Tech
South Korea
Rep
Drives: M340 /GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
I'll be heading to Brooklyn, NY in 4 days. Going to visit my sisters brand new apartment. Any good places in Brooklyn, NY.
Williamsburg/Greenpoint/park slope/dumbo is popping these days , wht area of bk does she live in
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #20
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol have you been to Katz? as far as I'm concerned everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is as valid as anyone elses.
Been going there since the 70's.
Of course you're entitled, I just happen to disagree. No problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Places I never fail to have a good time at:

smith & wollensky
ultimate pizza
ryan's daughter
dorian's
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #22
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BkGrizz View Post
Williamsburg/Greenpoint/park slope/dumbo is popping these days , wht area of bk does she live in
Peter Lugers, world famous and worth it!
http://www.peterluger.com/ourlocations.cfm

Coney Island Nathans. You've had it before but this is the first and still the best. Check out the Cyclone while there.
Appreciate 0