BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

07-31-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Over 100k suspension refresh/lowering on E93

Hey guys,

Any recommendations for suspension refresh and lowering for E93 specifically? I have searched the forum and Google and have not found much, a lot of similar questions, but not much info. The car has over 100k and I would like to address the suspension as my first round of mods. (Already did RBs).

For a good performing street car, what should I upgrade/replace? Does it make sense to do solid sub-frame bushings on a street car that is a convertible? How about monoball upgraded arms?

I thought about doing all new OE replacement control arms from FCP by TRW front and rear. Maybe beefed up trailing arms? Will I feel a difference on the street? I would like to retain EDC.

I'm looking for some advice from someone who understands the dynamics of an E93, not just simply "get bilstein b16 damptronic." I feel like if I get B16 kit and leave everything else stock at this mileage, it will be a poor combination on the street for daily.

Thank you
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 05:49 PM   #2
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
If you're looking to fill out the gap, I'd start with a bigger tire. Once you drop the top you'll notice a bit of drop with the roof in the trunk.

You can do solid bushings but I don't feel the E93 needs it, but it's up to you, just be prepared for increased drivetrain noise.

Some guys are running modified edc style coil overs (I think the bilstien or KW) and adjusting to what they prefer, but I'm simply running stock and find the car handles fine given it's a bit heavier.

Like you said, it's really streetable in the E93 vs track; you can run it around a track but man she's heavy in the corners and you feel a shit ton of roll.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 06:32 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Solid rear subframe bushes have no NVH. Rear spherical conversion and front monoballs add slight bit of firmness, no noise or harshness. All 3 are streetable and reliable. I still daily drive my car with all 3 mods.

For street use, and occasional track, Ohlins R/T is the best in terms of comfort, performance, price and longevity.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
You can do solid bushings but I don't feel the E93 needs it, but it's up to you, just be prepared for increased drivetrain noise.
-Duke
Solid subframe bushings do not add any drive train noise and will transform the ride and handling. More so for the E93 which can use all the chassis stiffness it can get.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 08:07 PM   #5
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
-Duke
Solid subframe bushings do not add any drive train noise and will transform the ride and handling. More so for the E93 which can use all the chassis stiffness it can get.
Respectfully disagree. I've been in a car before and after install of those and you could deff hear a difference (albeit slight) NVH.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 11:29 PM   #6
jchrystal
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition

Bilstein B16 Damptronic.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #7
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If you're looking to fill out the gap, I'd start with a bigger tire. Once you drop the top you'll notice a bit of drop with the roof in the trunk.

Some guys are running modified edc style coil overs (I think the bilstien or KW) and adjusting to what they prefer, but I'm simply running stock and find the car handles fine given it's a bit heavier.

Like you said, it's really streetable in the E93 vs track; you can run it around a track but man she's heavy in the corners and you feel a shit ton of roll.

-Duke
Thanks Duke, I'm definitely looking to get bigger tires, the OEM tires have a stretch on 359s and the lip of the wheel is exposed. I'm thinking about going 255/35 and 275/35.

I saw the solid subframe bushings DIY and wow it is extensive and probably pricey to do it a shop, not sure if it's worth the investment. We don't even have twisty roads here lol.

Quote:
Solid rear subframe bushes have no NVH. Rear spherical conversion and front monoballs add slight bit of firmness, no noise or harshness. All 3 are streetable and reliable. I still daily drive my car with all 3 mods.

For street use, and occasional track, Ohlins R/T is the best in terms of comfort, performance, price and longevity.
I thought the M3 already has spherical bushings? Can you recommend which kit, which bushings/arms?

Do they make Ohlins compatible with EDC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchrystal View Post
Bilstein B16 Damptronic.
At least you read the thread! But B16 on otherwise old suspension? Wouldn't it make weaker points even weaker?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
That size of tire should be fine. I'm running 295/35/19 outback and 265/35/19 up front. The rim has a bit of an offset so it's basically nearly perfect flush so just be sure to take into account any offsets so it can be tucked under the wheel well.

You can do bushings yourself, just takes time and best on a lift with a trans jack. And regardless of what Redd said (again no offense), you will have a very slight NVH increase. Again, it's ever so slight but some guys are sticklers for sound so full disclosure.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #9
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Respectfully disagree. I've been in a car before and after install of those and you could deff hear a difference (albeit slight) NVH.

-Duke
Please tell me how solid subframe bushings can add more noise into the cabin? Especially with stock diff bushings which are isolating the vibrations/noises from the diff.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #10
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
I thought the M3 already has spherical bushings? Can you recommend which kit, which bushings/arms?
Details in my post here:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781245

There's still a lot of rubber in the rear suspension, especially the big camber arm rubber bushings in the rear subframe. There is additional firmness and slight harshness from a spherical conversion, but no noise and no vibrations.

I think it's important to differentiate the N, V, and H. Anytime you remove rubber it will add some firmness. Firmness itself may not translate to much harshness in the ride. Noise and vibration is definitely not acceptable for me under any situation, especially for a daily driven car.

So, to me, rear subframe bushings add some firmness but no noise, vibration or harshness. Maybe others are more sensitive than me. I'm also running Ohlins which does a great job at soaking up a lot of harshness.

Rear sphericals will add firmness and a bit of ride harshness, but no noise or vibration.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #11
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Details in my post here:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781245

There's still a lot of rubber in the rear suspension, especially the big camber arm rubber bushings in the rear subframe. There is additional firmness and slight harshness from a spherical conversion, but no noise and no vibrations.

I think it's important to differentiate the N, V, and H. Anytime you remove rubber it will add some firmness. Firmness itself may not translate to much harshness in the ride. Noise and vibration is definitely not acceptable for me under any situation, especially for a daily driven car.

So, to me, rear subframe bushings add some firmness but no noise, vibration or harshness. Maybe others are more sensitive than me. I'm also running Ohlins which does a great job at soaking up a lot of harshness.

Rear sphericals will add firmness and a bit of ride harshness, but no noise or vibration.
Took the time to read through all that info and from the 1er forum. Not sure if I need to do all that honestly. I think I will just replace with OEM quality arms and call it a day. If I was lowered, I would consider the doing SPL adjustable toe arms. Would I have any benefit of doing reinforced trailing arms and new bushings?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #12
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Took the time to read through all that info and from the 1er forum. Not sure if I need to do all that honestly. I think I will just replace with OEM quality arms and call it a day. If I was lowered, I would consider the doing SPL adjustable toe arms. Would I have any benefit of doing reinforced trailing arms and new bushings?
If you want to retain the comfort then just use stock arms. In fact, if your arms aren't making any noises, there is no need to replace them.
Appreciate 0