BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

MFactory CF Drive Shaft

Thinking of picking one up for my DCT M3. Anyone have a long term review on this, in particular on NVH?

I have solid subframe bushings and stock diff bushings, car is daily driven with some trackdays. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

its great. there is no harshness or vibration, but your car will feel more clunky and direct and you'll be more in-tune with the differential. i have solid subframe and delin diff bushings. it transforms the car from a street car into an exotic. feels fantastic to me, but it is somewhat subjective.

remember what it felt like when you got your solid subframe bushings? its like another step to that.
      10-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks roastbeef! What are the noticeable benefits?

Also did you notice any loss of torque in the lower rpms?

Last edited by Redd; 10-08-2017 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

the most noticeable benefit is the car feeling more direct, and more connected to the road. it feels like throttle response is razor sharp.

i don't track gas mileage, but it seems to be slightly better, i'm not sure about that one though. the car definitely doesn't decelerate as fast as it used to when you let off the throttle.

i know it didn't lose any torque. i can't tell you the car is faster- i don't equate my faster lap times to this one item. this is a good piece in a symphony of parts working together that enhance each other and improve the feel of the car.

here is the real test- if i totaled my car and began to build another one, i would buy this driveshaft again. i enjoy it that much.
      10-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
here is the real test- if i totaled my car and began to build another one, i would buy this driveshaft again. i enjoy it that much.
Good enough for me! Thanks roastbeef!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
SalM
S1N1ST3R
Montenegro
Rep

Where can we order them from ?
10.38 @ 136.04
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalM View Post
Where can we order them from ?
http://store.teammfactory.com/produc...nf=1&Model=BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Good stuff, roast. I have one going in shortly. Are you DCT or 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Hujan, appreciate it if you can share your install experience!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:54 AM   #10
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Good stuff, roast. I have one going in shortly. Are you DCT or 6MT?
DCT.
      10-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
its great. there is no harshness or vibration, but your car will feel more clunky and direct and you'll be more in-tune with the differential. i have solid subframe and delin diff bushings. it transforms the car from a street car into an exotic. feels fantastic to me, but it is somewhat subjective.

remember what it felt like when you got your solid subframe bushings? its like another step to that.
Thanks, RB. Can you explain the "clunking" you mention?

Also, what are your thoughts on running this CF shaft in an otherwise stock (DCT) car? TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I looked on the website but it was not clear whether this reuses a stock guibo to avoid NVH
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
I have the same exact feelings for this product as roastbeef. The difference can be felt instantly after installation. I was a skeptic but was amazed on how instant and direct the power delivery felt compared to the stock driveshaft. Definitely one of my favorite mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I looked on the website but it was not clear whether this reuses a stock guibo to avoid NVH
It uses the stock guibo for sure...I personally felt no increase in NVH after installation.
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights

Last edited by dj_dub; 10-09-2017 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
I have the same exact feelings for this product as roastbeef. The difference can't be felt instantly after installation. I was a skeptic but was amazed on how instant and direct the power delivery felt compared to the stock driveshaft. Definitely one of my favorite mods!

It uses the stock guibo for sure...I personally felt no increase in NVH after installation.
fantastic, thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Does the CF shaft make any "clunking" noises? Any other differences from factory shaft? TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #16
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Does the CF shaft make any "clunking" noises? Any other differences from factory shaft? TIA
Not that I'm aware of or can hear. I've had this installed on my car since early March with multiple track use and I can honestly say that I can't report anything negative about this product. Installation was straight forward and only takes an hour if you have access to a lift...all positive effects after installation over the factory driveshaft.

I did use heat wrap on my x-pipe around where the shaft meets the flange to reduce the risk of separation due to high heat. This is recommended by the manufacturer...some people do it, some people don't. I'd recommend doing it as it is a cheap and easy way to protect your investment.
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 1
buddalun678.00
      10-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #17
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of or can hear. I've had this installed on my car since early March with multiple track use and I can honestly say that I can't report anything negative about this product. Installation was straight forward and only takes an hour if you have access to a lift...all positive effects after installation over the factory driveshaft.

I did use heat wrap on my x-pipe around where the shaft meets the flange to reduce the risk of separation due to high heat. This is recommended by the manufacturer...some people do it, some people don't. I'd recommend doing it as it is a cheap and easy way to protect your investment.
Very curious how you did this w/o dropping the differential? No way did I have enough room to make the connection. Had to drop the diff, connect, and then raise everything back into place. Learned a bunch about the rear end, but ended up being a weekend event for me.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Very curious how you did this w/o dropping the differential? No way did I have enough room to make the connection. Had to drop the diff, connect, and then raise everything back into place. Learned a bunch about the rear end, but ended up being a weekend event for me.
I found this in another related thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #19
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
I found this in another related thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12
Yeah, I spoke to him about his install. Pretty sure the guibo adapter he had to use made the difference. The M Factory DS is the exact length of the stock version except it doesn't bend so there's no way to get both sides attached without dropping the diff. At least I couldn't get it figured out. I suppose I could have banged on it and forced it into place, but I decided not to risk ruining it.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #20
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, RB. Can you explain the "clunking" you mention?

Also, what are your thoughts on running this CF shaft in an otherwise stock (DCT) car? TIA
some people complain that the oem DCT is clunky. any one piece shaft is going to magnify this feeling of clunky-ness. i feel like this effect is going to be even more pronounced with solid sub/diff bushings.
you'll see a benefit of running this shaft in a stock car, just know that the subframe and differential move around a lot... like about an inch during hard driving. i don't know if there is going to be any added effect, but you're going to be putting more direct power into the differential. you'll probably be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Yeah, I spoke to him about his install. Pretty sure the guibo adapter he had to use made the difference. The M Factory DS is the exact length of the stock version except it doesn't bend so there's no way to get both sides attached without dropping the diff. At least I couldn't get it figured out. I suppose I could have banged on it and forced it into place, but I decided not to risk ruining it.
the oem guibo does bend a little bit. i have solid sub/diff bushings and it was a pain in the ass, but i did it without touching the sub/diff. the trick was to slightly lift the DCT as opposed to lowering it. i discovered this when i was about to give up and started trying things i thought were illogical.
as we know, the oem shaft is easy as it bends and makes up for the clearance issue. i think i shaved about 1mm of material off the carbon shaft while i was muscling it into the pinion flange. i was carefull to push on the metal end of the shaft because this didn't stress the carbon. its possible, it just sucks. took me about 10 hours underneath the car (including sitting in the garage cursing) from start to finish.
SonnyJack323.00
      10-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i think you might have a slightly different experience than me because i am DCT and you are 6MT. my post above this one explains why i think this is.
      10-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
some people complain that the oem DCT is clunky. any one piece shaft is going to magnify this feeling of clunky-ness. i feel like this effect is going to be even more pronounced with solid sub/diff bushings.
you'll see a benefit of running this shaft in a stock car, just know that the subframe and differential move around a lot... like about an inch during hard driving. i don't know if there is going to be any added effect, but you're going to be putting more direct power into the differential. you'll probably be fine.

Thanks roastbeef

Some more questions for ya:

-Do you recommend solid rear subframe bushings as a logical addition to the CF propshaft? I am considering these as they add no NVH. I will likely stick to OE diff bushings.

-Do you hear any sort of a "whine" especially as speed increases? Any other sounds or abnormalities as compared to the OE propshaft?

-I found that the clunkiness from the DCT was largely removed with the GTS tune. Is this what you're referring to?

TIA
Appreciate 0