BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

12-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
Kushflip
Rep
Drives: Current: E92 M3 Past: E90 M3

Rear Rattle / Clunk - Upper Shock Mount?

Hey Fellas,

Firstly, Merry Christmas! It seems my E92 M3 track project decided to give me a little gift this year, in the form of a new issue!

Took a backroad to Christmas breakfast this morning, and after a rough stretch of road noticed a severe knocking/rattling from the right rear suspension area.

Quick video of the noise (ignore the high pitch "clink" as that is my phone tapping the roll bar):

https://youtube.com/shorts/uQBEY-IkKuY

It will be a few weeks until I can get the car to my brothers home-shop to diagnose further, so hoping you folks can point me in the most likely direction to have parts on order before-hand.

My first instinct is upper shock mount. The car does need a full rear-end bushing replacement as well so hoping to narrow down the noise before going HAM on all possibilities.

The car has 82k miles, with aftermarket suspension (STIFF) on for the past 15k or so.

Appreciate any input!

Thanks,
Kushflip
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

My first guess is something exhaust related - hangers, heatshields etc. It sounds too consistent to be suspension related.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 01:42 AM   #3
Kushflip
Rep
Drives: Current: E92 M3 Past: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
My first guess is something exhaust related - hangers, heatshields etc. It sounds too consistent to be suspension related.
Thanks Redd.

Everything exhaust related looks ok, banged around with a soft blow / hangers all in tact.

Not sure if I mentioned, but with the car stationary bouncing on the rear from the trunk replicates the noise (the coil overs are stiff, and it makes the noise with minimal travel).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 09:42 PM   #4
m3number86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushflip View Post
Thanks Redd.

Everything exhaust related looks ok, banged around with a soft blow / hangers all in tact.

Not sure if I mentioned, but with the car stationary bouncing on the rear from the trunk replicates the noise (the coil overs are stiff, and it makes the noise with minimal travel).
Did you figure it out?
Appreciate 0