BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-29-2019, 01:26 AM   #1
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///E36,E46,E92,F80

Recommendations for a dual purpose coilover set

I'm looking to get into the Auto X hobby w/ my newly acquired E92 M and was wondering what is the consensus for my application.

The car would serve dual purpose being track capable for perhaps 1-3 times a year while handling cruising around town/work when feeling like switching it up from the DD. But that's not to say that what if I totally fall in love w/ auto x and plan to do way more than 1-3 visits, I'd still want the setup to be OK. My local shop is a fan of the KW clubsports and are somewhat recommending it to me but I it could be an isolated experience but I didn't really have good experiences w/ KW in the past on my E46 being the ride quality was not of my liking.

I'm thinking at least a 2-way system but not sure which. Looking forward to input
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
chalbe
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, jeeps

If you are going to do coilovers then definitely get 2-ways. Coilovers will class the car in STU with SCCA rules. The ability to independently adjust rebound front and rear is a really good benefit. I have been running in STU for the last two years, and autocrossed with the KW Clubsport 2-ways this year. KW's recommended bump/rebound settings are a good place to start. If you need more compliance for DD and when you start to play with the settings it is easy to adjust. There are plenty of posts saying clubsports are too stiff. With the ability to adjust them however you want, this has not been my experience. I DD'd the car with the clubsports for most of this year before I got my dad wagon. You should consider adjustable sway bar end links to get rid of preload on the sways. From memory they should be able to be adjusted shorter than stock, but someone here will correct me if I am wrong.

Wide front wheels and tires have clearance issues with the front main springs that can be solved by replacing the front main spring with a shorter spring, or by using spacers. I replaced the main spring. There is a thread in this section detailing how to do it and what is needed.

There are other good options for coilovers with double adjustable dampers. I chose the KW's because it is a single source solution since they come with camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalbe View Post
If you are going to do coilovers then definitely get 2-ways. Coilovers will class the car in STU with SCCA rules. The ability to independently adjust rebound front and rear is a really good benefit. I have been running in STU for the last two years, and autocrossed with the KW Clubsport 2-ways this year. KW's recommended bump/rebound settings are a good place to start. If you need more compliance for DD and when you start to play with the settings it is easy to adjust. There are plenty of posts saying clubsports are too stiff. With the ability to adjust them however you want, this has not been my experience. I DD'd the car with the clubsports for most of this year before I got my dad wagon. You should consider adjustable sway bar end links to get rid of preload on the sways. From memory they should be able to be adjusted shorter than stock, but someone here will correct me if I am wrong.

Wide front wheels and tires have clearance issues with the front main springs that can be solved by replacing the front main spring with a shorter spring, or by using spacers. I replaced the main spring. There is a thread in this section detailing how to do it and what is needed.

There are other good options for coilovers with double adjustable dampers. I chose the KW's because it is a single source solution since they come with camber plates.
Great info and thanks! Yes at a minimum I plan to do a 2 way coilover and leaning towards the KWCS, TCK or wishful thinking, the JRZ 2 way given Apex is having a sale. I do plan on going with an 18x10 squared config so I will run into that issue you mentioned, and I am hearing while a 5mm is suggested, it is not a guarantee to clear. Not sure if TCK or JRZ will have this issue. I am even contemplating sticking w/ a 19" (19x10 squared, 275/30) setup..I believe this may clear w/ no spacer?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
chalbe
Private
Rep

Sure thing, all of those are good options and are what I was considering too. I found an Amazon listing for the clubsports for about $2300, and my decision was made, haha. STU limits tire sizes to 285, so, you end up playing the game of what's fast, what fits and what's available. This year I used 18x10 square with RE71R in 275/35/18 with 5mm front spacer and 12mm rear spacer. The front spacer is not needed, and I only use it as an added measure to increase the strut clearance. People on his website have done a great job of figuring out what works, and Apex has parts guides, so, there are a lot of good resources for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #5
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure thing, all of those are good options and are what I was considering too. I found an Amazon listing for the clubsports for about $2300, and my decision was made, haha. STU limits tire sizes to 285, so, you end up playing the game of what's fast, what fits and what's available. This year I used 18x10 square with RE71R in 275/35/18 with 5mm front spacer and 12mm rear spacer. The front spacer is not needed, and I only use it as an added measure to increase the strut clearance. People on his website have done a great job of figuring out what works, and Apex has parts guides, so, there are a lot of good resources for you.
BTW, did my Blk Friday damage and pickup up a set of KWCS, 18x10 ARC-8's and 275/35 RE-71's. The rep at Apex told me I'd definitely need the 5mm spacer up front to clear the KWCS but did not mention any need for the rear. I noticed you are running a 12mm which seems substantial. Any reason for this? I did not bother picking up a set but i do have another set of 5mm laying around somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Let me know how KWCS works out for you. Just notice my V3 front strut is actually messed up(the dampers screw is stripped probably before I bought it). Now I am looking into either getting a new set to start clean slate. Or remove them to have them repaired by KW.

It looks like KVCS had built in camber plate in top, that can be a pretty good perk I suppose
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #7
chalbe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE36TRO View Post
BTW, did my Blk Friday damage and pickup up a set of KWCS, 18x10 ARC-8's and 275/35 RE-71's. The rep at Apex told me I'd definitely need the 5mm spacer up front to clear the KWCS but did not mention any need for the rear. I noticed you are running a 12mm which seems substantial. Any reason for this? I did not bother picking up a set but i do have another set of 5mm laying around somewhere.
That's awesome. I use the rear spacer because I like how it looks. Any spacer should be used with longer lug bolts or wheel studs/nuts. It's debatable with the 5mm spacer, but I have wheel studs so it is not an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's awesome. I use the rear spacer because I like how it looks. Any spacer should be used with longer lug bolts or wheel studs/nuts. It's debatable with the 5mm spacer, but I have wheel studs so it is not an issue for me.
Nice, I'm assuming it does not cause any rubbing in the rears with the 275 R compounds?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
chalbe
Private
Rep

There is a little rubbing where the bumper and the rear quarter panel meet just inside the wheel well. If I take the rear spacers out there would be no rubbing. It is not much, but it is just unpainted plastic. I might be a little lower than most people, so, it may not be an issue depending on ride height. As I understand it, some rubbing is unavoidable with wider wheels and tires, and when spacers are used to push things out. I can take a photo tonight if you want to see what the rear rubbing looks like.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:
Keep in mind that the 10 et25 spec is exactly the same as the comp pack rear wheels. Many people run spacers with their comp pack wheels for aesthetic reasons. 10 et25 is pretty conservative in the rear.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good datapoint. I may have to pick up a set, I’m all for aesthetics :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
E4superfly
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
dude send the ebay link so we can get in on that action
      12-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #13
chalbe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4superfly View Post
dude send the ebay link so we can get in on that action
I bought them in January, so, almost a year ago. I checked Amazon again just now and there are a couple of listings, but all I could find is the link below. It looks like the price has been raised to match what most vendors are listing. I definitely got lucky with my timing and that the vendor honored their price. Having patience paid off too. I window shopped for probably 6 months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #14
slicer
Major General
Rep

The two suspensions I sell the most are KW clubsport and Öhlins R&T. Both end up being about the same price after you add camber plates to the R&T kit. I would say they are both a great bang for buck. The R&T is more street oriented with softer spring rates. Clubsport is stiffer and better suited for track use. However, a well setup clubsport is perfectly suitable for street use IMO. There are compression and rebound adjustments which of course can help tune ride comfort on the Clubsport.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 12-05-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #15
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
The two suspensions I sell the most are KW clubsport and Öhlins R&T. Both end up being about the same price after you add camber plates to the R&T kit. I would say they are both a great bang for buck. The R&T is more street oriented with softer spring rates. Clubsport is stiffer and better suited for track use. However, a well setup clubsport is perfectly suitable for street use IMO. There are compression and rebound adjustments which of course can help tune ride comfort on the Clubsport.
I was able to pickup a set of KWCS over the weekend. I was told by the vendor that they are built to order and the struts are currently being built at their facility in Germany resulting in a 4-5 week ETA to my door. This doesn't sound right. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
If your vendor doesn't carry inventory but drop ships from the manufacturer then yes - This is a worthwhile up front question for all orders. I believe it's why Apex is always touting that they have the JRZs in stock.

Another common long lead time are BBK...
      12-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #17
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
If your vendor doesn't carry inventory but drop ships from the manufacturer then yes - This is a worthwhile up front question for all orders. I believe it's why Apex is always touting that they have the JRZs in stock.

Another common long lead time are BBK...
Thanks. You're correct they do not carry inventory. I guess the best price comes with a wait.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #18
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was able to pickup a set of KWCS over the weekend. I was told by the vendor that they are built to order and the struts are currently being built at their facility in Germany resulting in a 4-5 week ETA to my door. This doesn't sound right. Is this correct?
That is right in some instances. However, I have 2 sets of e9x KW Clubsport kits in stock.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #19
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Great setup. I'm running my car in STU with similar setup as well. Common front fitment for the KW CS without front spacers involves a shorter front spring swap. I did this for my set. Several threads have lots of discussion and info on it.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #20
Dreamer99
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I'm tempted to upgrade my car with a coilover suspension as well. From reading the reviews on this forum the most street compliant dual duty kits with GC camber plates included are:

JRZ RS one way - $3570 (450/700 spring rate)
TC Kline single - $2385 (400/700 spring rate)
TC Kline single front/double adjustable rear - $2866.42 (400/700 spring rate)
Ohlin R&T single - $2949 (343/686)

The TC Kline seems to be a favorite on the E46 M3 forums but not many here are using it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #21
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer99 View Post
I'm tempted to upgrade my car with a coilover suspension as well. From reading the reviews on this forum the most street compliant dual duty kits with GC camber plates included are:

JRZ RS one way - $3570 (450/700 spring rate)
TC Kline single - $2385 (400/700 spring rate)
TC Kline single front/double adjustable rear - $2866.42 (400/700 spring rate)
Ohlin R&T single - $2949 (343/686)

The TC Kline seems to be a favorite on the E46 M3 forums but not many here are using it.
JRZ or Ohlins are the only real choices here.

I personally went for Ohlins based on their track record with OEMs. My last car was a full on track build M4 with TCkline 2 ways so I decided to go with the softer Ohlins this time for a more street set up on my e90
      02-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #22
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Also, any rumour you read about Ohlins requiring frequent rebuilds is nonsense. I have 4 years 44k kms (28k miles) on my Ohlins R/T and they are still going strong.
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00