BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

10-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Eibach Springs VS H&R Springs

I currently have H&R Sport Springs, but I am thinking about swapping them out for Eibachs.

Can anyone chime on the difference in ride quality and which one is lower or higher than the other?

Thanks!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
H&R
1.0 F
.6 R

Eibach
.8 F
.6 R

I too thought about changing them out because the H&R's were too harsh or bumpy, but lately I've been driving at higher speeds and maybe I just got used to it but it feels pretty alright now.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 1
Kenith32.00
      10-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
I currently have H&R Sport Springs, but I am thinking about swapping them out for Eibachs.

Can anyone chime on the difference in ride quality and which one is lower or higher than the other?

Thanks!
Go with the EIBACH lowering springs.

Here's why...

When you are trying to decide between 2 different lowering springs you have to figure out what is more import to YOU first.

Individuals are different and this is what I caution my local clients against. Don't follow the crowd to closely as it may not be what you are looking for exactly.
The first step is too understand the differences in the lowering springs out there and then make the call based on what appeals to you more as a potential buyer.

Here is a brief overview of the differences between the H&R sport and Eibach lower springs:

H&R - Uses a very stiff 54SiCr6 alloy spring steel that has a higher progressive spring rate than the Eibach springs. That results in less body roll and firmer more precise suspension control. It also reduces the travel of the struts and shocks more than the stock (OE) springs. You gain more control over the suspension movement at the expensive of ride quality.

Eibach - Uses a high strength, high toughness spring steel called "Hi-Ten" in their Pro-Kits. The progressive rate of these springs is not quite as stiff as the H&R sport springs. Eibach focuses more on engineering a balance between ride quality and precise suspension control. Eibach springs will provide the exceptional handling and precise vehicle responsiveness and stability with minimal effect to the ride quality. Eibach engineers are very good at achieving that perfect balance. (optimizing handling vs. ride quality) Eibach springs are designed to allow the suspension to move in a controlled and predictable manner, and they do not compress the OE struts and shocks too much. That can lead to ride harshness that you won't particularly like.

There is a breaking point in regards to aftermarket lowering springs. A spring kit that lowers the vehicle too much, will inadvertently restrict the suspension travel, which results in a less comfortable ride and uneven handling characteristics. The vehicle may skip over bumps and road transitions, causing the tires to loose contact (adhesion/traction) with the road surface. A race prepared vehicle has a chassis and suspension designed for use solely on racetracks. The requirements for an everyday, street-driven vehicle that encounters potholes, expansion joints, weathered tarmac etc. are completely different. Eibach spring kits lower the vehicle center of gravity properly while properly maintaining adequate suspension travel. They have resisted the urge over the years to offer a more "aggressive" drop to their lowering spring kits, and in discussions with their chief engineer a few years ago...I think I know why that is the case. Eibach believes (and I tend to agree) that lowering a vehicle too much is counter-productive, because you will likely end up riding on the bump stops. This is compounded by the fact that OE shocks do not respond very well to being compressed more than the factory springs would allow under normal circumstances. The ride quality will decrease as a result. Eibach Pro-Kits are designed to work with original equipment shocks and struts. The lowering springs MUST NOT impede the suspension travel beyond a certian point...if you want to maintain good performance, and ride quality. (at the same time)

Bottom Line: Every suspension set-up is a critical balance between two contradictions:

Making it as soft as possible...while maintaining some measure of control. (which requires some spring stiffness) Finding that balance between the smooth softer initial characteristic for increased traction and comfortable cruising, while also maintaining a stiffer final progressive rate (as the spring compresses under load) for reduced body roll and better responsiveness under curving, braking and accelerating. That's a very difficult combination to pull off.

I'm a true believer in Eibach springs because they have always performed as advertised over the years. I have had Eibach pro kit on my cars since I bought my first E36 M3 in 1997. I also had them on my E46 M3 as well.

Eibach manufactures the best performance spring kits on the market in my opinion.
      10-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

^-- well put.

I'm happy with my Eibach springs as well.... Not to mention they are also the cheapest on the market (I think). Never base my choice on price, it's just an added bonus.
      10-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post

Here's why...

When you are trying to decide between 2 different lowering springs you have to figure out what is more import to YOU first.

Individuals are different and this is what I caution my local clients against. Don't follow the crowd to closely as it may not be what you are looking for exactly.
The first step is too understand the differences in the lowering springs out there and then make the call based on what appeals to you more as a potential buyer.

Here is a brief overview of the differences between the H&R sport and Eibach lower springs:

H&R - Uses a very stiff 54SiCr6 alloy spring steel that has a higher progressive spring rate than the Eibach springs. That results in less body roll and firmer more precise suspension control. It also reduces the travel of the struts and shocks more than the stock (OE) springs. You gain more control over the suspension movement at the expensive of ride quality.

Eibach - Uses a high strength, high toughness spring steel called "Hi-Ten" in their Pro-Kits. The progressive rate of these springs is not quite as stiff as the H&R sport springs. Eibach focuses more on engineering a balance between ride quality and precise suspension control. Eibach springs will provide the exceptional handling and precise vehicle responsiveness and stability with minimal effect to the ride quality. Eibach engineers are very good at achieving that perfect balance. (optimizing handling vs. ride quality) Eibach springs are designed to allow the suspension to move in a controlled and predictable manner, and they do not compress the OE struts and shocks too much. That can lead to ride harshness that you won't particularly like.

There is a breaking point in regards to aftermarket lowering springs. A spring kit that lowers the vehicle too much, will inadvertently restrict the suspension travel, which results in a less comfortable ride and uneven handling characteristics. The vehicle may skip over bumps and road transitions, causing the tires to loose contact (adhesion/traction) with the road surface. A race prepared vehicle has a chassis and suspension designed for use solely on racetracks. The requirements for an everyday, street-driven vehicle that encounters potholes, expansion joints, weathered tarmac etc. are completely different. Eibach spring kits lower the vehicle center of gravity properly while properly maintaining adequate suspension travel. They have resisted the urge over the years to offer a more "aggressive" drop to their lowering spring kits, and in discussions with their chief engineer a few years ago...I think I know why that is the case. Eibach believes (and I tend to agree) that lowering a vehicle too much is counter-productive, because you will likely end up riding on the bump stops. This is compounded by the fact that OE shocks do not respond very well to being compressed more than the factory springs would allow under normal circumstances. The ride quality will decrease as a result. Eibach Pro-Kits are designed to work with original equipment shocks and struts. The lowering springs MUST NOT impede the suspension travel beyond a certian point...if you want to maintain good performance, and ride quality. (at the same time)

Bottom Line: Every suspension set-up is a critical balance between two contradictions:

Making it as soft as possible...while maintaining some measure of control. (which requires some spring stiffness) Finding that balance between the smooth softer initial characteristic for increased traction and comfortable cruising, while also maintaining a stiffer final progressive rate (as the spring compresses under load) for reduced body roll and better responsiveness under curving, braking and accelerating. That's a very difficult combination to pull off.

I'm a true believer in Eibach springs because they have always performed as advertised over the years. I have had Eibach pro kit on my cars since I bought my first E36 M3 in 1997. I also had them on my E46 M3 as well.

Eibach manufactures the best performance spring kits on the market in my opinion.

WOW! Thanks for the nice review on Eibach. Im sure both are of good quality. But I am relatively happy with the look of the H&Rs, and if the Eibach is .2 inch higher up front, I dont think I would like that. Im barely satisfied with the front on the H&R, Im happy with them; but just barely. If it were any higher, I wouldn't like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:

Here's why...

Well said! I absolutely love my Eibachs. There is virtually no degradation in ride quality compared to stock, body motion is well dampened, the drop is noticeable and still tasteful, and my car still clears speed bumps and driveway entrances with ease. I have always done complete shock/spring combos or coilover kits on previous cars, but I am completely happy with my current combination of the stock struts/shocks and Eibach springs. Eibach has definitely done their homework on the Pro-Kit for the E92.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

does Eibach offer 2 versions likke they usually do ? or just the Pro Kit?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

I love the way my h&r's ride and feel. The only thing is I wish it were a tiny bit lower both back and front..sometimes I regret not getting the rd sport springs as they seem like the perfect drop level. The eibachs although I hear they ride excellent and some say better than h&r's don't bring the car to the lowered look that I'm looking for. However as said the poster above, different springs for different purposes. I love the way your car looks now..I'm sure it'll look good with the eibachs also..but the stance is sexy right now.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycg View Post
I love the way my h&r's ride and feel. The only thing is I wish it were a tiny bit lower both back and front..sometimes I regret not getting the rd sport springs as they seem like the perfect drop level. The eibachs although I hear they ride excellent and some say better than h&r's don't bring the car to the lowered look that I'm looking for. However as said the poster above, different springs for different purposes. I love the way your car looks now..I'm sure it'll look good with the eibachs also..but the stance is sexy right now.

-Vin
Well good news,

I just found out that the E93 Specific springs from Eibach, are actually 1 inch front, and .6 rear. which is the same as my H&Rs now.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

any E93 guys with the Eibach springs installed?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:

Here's why...

I explain this everyday and honestly could not have said it better myself. Figure out what you want out of the suspension and pick which you think works best for YOU.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
so bottom line is that no one spring is really better than another? I guess it depends on what your looking for correct?
      10-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

where does the RD sport springs fit into this?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

This post is making my boil down my decision to go for the Eibach's even more. Ride quality with performance still in mind = Eibachs.
      10-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
so bottom line is that no one spring is really better than another? I guess it depends on what your looking for correct?
Agreed. Suspension is a subjective upgrade. One person's stiff is another person's cloud. You have to figure out how much you want to lower the car and what you are willing to accept in terms of stiffness and performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Agreed. Suspension is a subjective upgrade. One person's stiff is another person's cloud. You have to figure out how much you want to lower the car and what you are willing to accept in terms of stiffness and performance.
Agreed,
but ride quality is very important to me. My question is, will the Eibach raise my car (compared to the H&Rs) or is the drop exactly the same?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #17
tunawi7cheese
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Power by dead dinosaurs

We should start an experiment. A blind suspension test. Two M3. One with Eibach. One with H&R. Driver have to visually determine which is which. Then driver will drive both car and compare ride quality. (Too bad we don't have the means to pull this experiment of)

Can you really visually notice a .2" difference or is it just in your head?

Secondly, can you tell the ride quality difference or is it again just in your head?

Good luck, I'm thinking about switching from H&R to Eibach too. I'm in the same dilema as you.

Melborne Red 08' E90 M3 6spd
Hockenheim Silver 20' F87 M2 CS MDCT
White 21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Agreed,
but ride quality is very important to me. My question is, will the Eibach raise my car (compared to the H&Rs) or is the drop exactly the same?
Eibach and H&R rate their drops at 1.0"F and .6"R for the E93 so theoretically it should not change your ride height.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd.kevin View Post
We should start an experiment. A blind suspension test. Two M3. One with Eibach. One with H&R. Driver have to visually determine which is which. Then driver will drive both car and compare ride quality. (Too bad we don't have the means to pull this experiment of)

Secondly, can you tell the ride quality difference or is it again just in your head?

Good luck, I'm thinking about switching from H&R to Eibach too. I'm in the same dilema as you.
There is something to be said for this as well. We can nitpick all we want over the height and ride differences but the only way to tell is drive it yourself. I would be willing to wager most could not tell the difference. We need a Pepsi v. Coke challenge for springs
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Im willing to bet there is a noticable difference between H&R & Eibach's ride quality. EVERYONE I have spoken to who is on Eibach Springs has said that there is almost NO difference from stock to the Eibach, but I myself and many others who have H&Rs definetly felt a difference once they installed them.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd.kevin View Post

My H&Rs just barely satisfy me in the looks department (on the front springs). So if the Eibachs were .2 inches higher, I would DEFINITELY notice if it was ANY higher than it is now.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #22
tunawi7cheese
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Power by dead dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Eibach and H&R rate their drops at 1.0"F and .6"R for the E93 so theoretically it should not change your ride height.
oh yeah! slammed has an E93. i didn't catch that.

Melborne Red 08' E90 M3 6spd
Hockenheim Silver 20' F87 M2 CS MDCT
White 21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0