BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #155
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

she doesn't know about the spats that came in the other day... those are easy to hide. she'll notice them once they are on. problem is, she knows that if something looks good and is light weight, it was expensive.
      09-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #156
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
Absolutely, I'm a madman in grip and feeling the g forces but when the ass comes out I do grin and lightly chuckle.
I love driving with slicks, traction completely off. Baby steps the last few weeks has led me to finally say ...."street tire's are not in store for me anymore". It really is another world being in sync with a machine you control. Epic feeling.
I love grip too. I'm not a drifter by nature. I love a car that holds. hehe Every time I drive a tire with more grip, I think to myself, THIS is how the car should ALWAYS feel! But that feeling costs $$$$$. It took some getting used to once the car was lightened because most of the weight loss was in the rear of the car. The car tended to be loose after that. Then, you add an OS Giken LSD that locks quickly along with a supercharger that puts out a lot of power into the equation, and you have a car that can go sideways REAL quick (assuming DSC-off).

Of course, the wing does little-to-nothing when going slow, so I need to really manage the throttle in tight, slow turns. You'll still be able to step the rear out at low speeds if you want without issue. In rounders/turns where speeds are higher than 60mph, the wing begins to show itself. And it is an amazing feeling. The car just holds in ways you are not familiar. Your old limits don't feel like the edge anymore. You feel encouraged to experiment with more speed. It can take a bit of time to figure out where those new limits are. That is a very fun process----being in the same car, but exploring new limits. It's not unlike finding the grip limit of higher grip tires. But it's different with aero because the limits change with speed, versus a tire that grips everywhere.

Anyway, with full aero, I gained 2-3 seconds at every track I visited (the tracks in CA are 2.2-2.8 miles long). And I gained that instantly on the first visit with aero at each track. Amazing. hehe All I can say is, don't stare at the timer for too long when you cross the Start/Finish. You'll look at it and think, did I really just do that? You need to concentrate on driving! haha! Definitely, do not put up any predictive lap time feature on your timer!

Have fun! Report back and let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      09-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #157
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Ahhhhhhh this is starting to get face happening lol
Speaking of diff. That's what you are rocking? How much lock? I'd love for that to be my next investment after the wing but currently in the process of figuring out which car do I use for SCCA wheel to wheel racing. Getting my license provisional license in a week or 2 and currently debating which car to address for full race. My tracked out e36 or obviously my e92...and which class to be a part of.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #158
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
she doesn't know about the spats that came in the other day... those are easy to hide. she'll notice them once they are on. problem is, she knows that if something looks good and is light weight, it was expensive.
Lol!!! Crap..you may be in the doghouse from here and out my friend hahaha.
Wonder what mind will say when I get a carbon trunk, GT250 wing and cage my e36
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #159
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Absolutely, I'm a madman in grip and feeling the g forces but when the ass comes out I do grin and lightly chuckle.
I love driving with slicks, traction completely off. Baby steps the last few weeks has led me to finally say ...."street tire's are not in store for me anymore". It really is another world being in sync with a machine you control. Epic feeling.
grip is fun but intentional loss of grip is even more fun. Might be slower but you will never be giggling more than that. Plus, sideways videos are way more entertaining, and getting yelled at in the pits is also very amusing!
      09-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #160
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
grip is fun but intentional loss of grip is even more fun. Might be slower but you will never be giggling more than that. Plus, sideways videos are way more entertaining, and getting yelled at in the pits is also very amusing!
Lmaoooo!! You have some valid points here my friend
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #161
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I should get a five inch splitter with no wing to balance it out lol
      09-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #162
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I should get a five inch splitter with no wing to balance it out lol
Lol!!! Let's go ahead with that..wait..Just add a mini trunk lip spoiler ..but use 3M. Should do the trick
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #163
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 white, long list

Quote:
Left this question for Ortho, but maybe you can chime in considering you have the knowledge as well...... The GT250 wing, Which size are you guys running? I just installed bimmerworld canards to my GT4 lip. Was wondering which size to look into that will work with the front end I am currently running.
I have the wide 67" GT250 installed. I run a diffuser (front to rear car length!) and a 12" long front splitter incl. large winglets (much larger than BW).
So I have pretty much all the front aero there can be and still not use the wing at aggressive angles.
For a DD with some track use I'd go with the smaller wing.
Cheers!
      09-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #164
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob66 View Post
Quote:
Left this question for Ortho, but maybe you can chime in considering you have the knowledge as well...... The GT250 wing, Which size are you guys running? I just installed bimmerworld canards to my GT4 lip. Was wondering which size to look into that will work with the front end I am currently running.
I have the wide 67" GT250 installed. I run a diffuser (front to rear car length!) and a 12" long front splitter incl. large winglets (much larger than BW).
So I have pretty much all the front aero there can be and still not use the wing at aggressive angles.
Cheers!
Wonderful thank you !
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #165
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Cheers!
12" splitter----what does that mean? How far is the tip of the splitter from the edge of the bumper?

Can we see some pictures of this front setup?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #166
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Cheers!
12" splitter----what does that mean? How far is the tip of the splitter from the edge of the bumper?

+1 pics plz.

Maybe the 12in splitter acts as a snowplow during winter months
      09-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #167
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't have picture, this is screen shot from my website. This is from last event in July, I keep experimenting with splitter length.
From the lower center (white bumper part) to the most forward it's 12".
Name:  website.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  128.9 KB
      09-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #168
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have picture, this is screen shot from my website. This is from last event in July, I keep experimenting with splitter length.
Attachment 1686314
Now that's a splitter!
      09-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #169
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow, that is quite something.

A couple questions come to mind:

-Have you ever gone off track with that? Did it survive? I do some occasional unscheduled landscaping at tracks---you know, gardening can be so satisfying at 80mph---and I'm pretty sure by the time I got back on track, something would be missing.....you know, besides my pride....

-What is the splitter made of? How fast would you say you're going in the photo? Although the tip looks like it's flexing downward a bit, the rest of the splitter looks like it's holding up well.

Anyway, I like your commitment to aero! A front-to-rear diffuser must be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #170
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Aaaah, he has the crazy flat bottom car with that really nice diffuser.
      09-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #171
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that is quite something.

A couple questions come to mind:

-Have you ever gone off track with that? Did it survive? I do some occasional unscheduled landscaping at tracks---you know, gardening can be so satisfying at 80mph---and I'm pretty sure by the time I got back on track, something would be missing.....you know, besides my pride....

-What is the splitter made of? How fast would you say you're going in the photo? Although the tip looks like it's flexing downward a bit, the rest of the splitter looks like it's holding up well.

Anyway, I like your commitment to aero! A front-to-rear diffuser must be awesome.
good questions
I just recently went 'cross country' at RA in 10b (65mph up the hill after fish tailing) and all aero survived though some of the undertray fins were bent.
That's the benefit of not having everything in carbon (though it would look better).
The front splitter is 0.5" Alumilite and and can bend upwards w/o issues, the rest of my aero is aluminum. After the session I took the undertray off , bent the fins/straightened everything and mounted everything back on.
The weight of all aero doesn't matter in my case as I need ballast anyway due to TT3 regulations, best place for adding weight.

Aero in general,: We achieved at NCM in the "ditch" 1.4g lateral force. This diffuser -if all system's required parts done right- really works.
      09-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #172
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
good questions
I just recently went 'cross country' at RA in 10b (65mph up the hill after fish tailing) and all aero survived though some of the undertray fins were bent.
That's the benefit of not having everything in carbon (though it would look better).
The front splitter is 0.5" Alumilite and and can bend upwards w/o issues, the rest of my aero is aluminum. After the session I took the undertray off , bent the fins/straightened everything and mounted everything back on.
The weight of all aero doesn't matter in my case as I need ballast anyway due to TT3 regulations, best place for adding weight.

Aero in general,: We achieved at NCM in the "ditch" 1.4g lateral force. This diffuser -if all system's required parts done right- really works.
Interesting. Glad you can survive off-track with it.

I'm familiar with Alumilite. Racewerkz built a splitter for my friend with that. Interesting stuff---light, stiff, not too expensive.

What device do you use to measure G's? I see 295/30 and 315/30 in your sig. What tires are you running?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #173
jakob66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Glad you can survive off-track with it.

I'm familiar with Alumilite. Racewerkz built a splitter for my friend with that. Interesting stuff---light, stiff, not too expensive.

What device do you use to measure G's? I see 295/30 and 315/30 in your sig. What tires are you running?
Harry's laptimer with connected GPS unit , Hoosier A7
      11-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #174
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Bump...

Two options: 61" or 67"

Are you most of you guys running the larger size? I know dogbone said he was running the 67" version but he also has a large splitter and dive planes up front.

I'm thinking 61" because my current front set up will be my GT4 lip plus my APR splitter mounted below it (it only adds maybe 1.5" more tops). I most likely will add GT4 dive planes in front but nothing to extend the front out more.

Here's a dimension spec sheet. 61" and i've extended the red lines up. 71" inches from fender flare to fender flare. My buddy did have the 71" before since APR did make them but it's not on their website.

I've read older posts and some members were successful with the 61" set up as well.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

11-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #175
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I thought the benefit of a larger width wing is to run it with less attack (less drag) for the same amount of downforce as a smaller wing with more attack (more drag).
      11-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #176
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

yeah so im wondering at lowest setting, if i get the larger one, do i need some serious front aero? because i can 't be plowing snow (driveways) as an option lol