BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #45
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
CT isn’t bad actually. NY stinks though. I don’t really street the car any more so aren’t overly concerned. Besides streets kill the poor shocks :/
Maybe it's Bridgepoint area that I'm thinking about. (friend lives in that area) Anyways, I don't daily drive the car but I do drive it on the streets when I can. The settings I have right now is very happy with the broken roads while still being stiff enough for backroads.

I'm sure I'll have to dial in for Laguna, Thunderhill, SonomaRaceway when that happens.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #46
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Maybe it's Bridgepoint area that I'm thinking about. (friend lives in that area) Anyways, I don't daily drive the car but I do drive it on the streets when I can. The settings I have right now is very happy with the broken roads while still being stiff enough for backroads.

I'm sure I'll have to dial in for Laguna, Thunderhill, SonomaRaceway when that happens.
That’s true it’s rough there
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #47
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Bumping this one up again!

I'm on 600/900 now.

I have left it at my old 400/700 dampener track setting and it's pretty stiff for the road. I'll adjust more for the street next week and hopefully next track day I'll fiddle more with it

# Front
Rebound 13
Compression 8
# Rear
Rebound 11
Compression 5
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      12-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #48
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Bumping this one up again!

I'm on 600/900 now.

I have left it at my old 400/700 dampener track setting and it's pretty stiff for the road. I'll adjust more for the street next week and hopefully next track day I'll fiddle more with it

# Front
Rebound 13
Compression 8
# Rear
Rebound 11
Compression 5
I reduce my compression by 3 clicks and the car is much more compliant now. More spring rate, less compression to maintain similar ride quality.

I'll work on a track setting tomorrow at Thunderhill. It's not raining!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      12-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #49
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
I reduce my compression by 3 clicks and the car is much more compliant now. More spring rate, less compression to maintain similar ride quality.

I'll work on a track setting tomorrow at Thunderhill. It's not raining!
F C 8
F R 9

RC 9
RR 8

Was just at willow springs with that.. and pretty much the same on street

Keep compression lowish or middle and work on rebound to dial in the response on track.
Appreciate 1
derbo3607.00
      12-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #50
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitriyo View Post
F C 8
F R 9

RC 9
RR 8

Was just at willow springs with that.. and pretty much the same on street

Keep compression lowish or middle and work on rebound to dial in the response on track.
Thanks I'll give that try! On the piss poor streets of SF, it felt pretty nice with compression at 5F, 4R.

In the video at , T1 0:11, T3 0:33 I noticed the car doesn't really soak that bump very well.

I'm not clear what is the causing that. It looks under-damped?

Settings were I believe were at the time:

Front 15R 8C
Rear 13R 8C
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #51
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep

Quote:
Thanks I'll give that try! On the piss poor streets of SF, it felt pretty nice with compression at 5F, 4R.

In the video at , T1 0:11, T3 0:33 I noticed the car doesn't really soak that bump very well.

I'm not clear what is the causing that. It looks under-damped?

Settings were I believe were at the time:

Front 15R 8C
Rear 13R 8C
Hard to tell.. Maybe its too much rebound where it doesnt allow the wheel to follow the back side of the bump, slowing the response of shock too much?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #52
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitriyo View Post
Hard to tell.. Maybe its too much rebound where it doesnt allow the wheel to follow the back side of the bump, slowing the response of shock too much?
idk either and I wish I did more testing to figure it out. Oh well next time!

I tried your

F C 8
F R 9

RC 9
RR 8

Today and its pretty harsh for SF roads..

I went back down to
Front 9R/5C
Rear 8R/4C

and it seems to handle those nasty roads a lot better and not a rattle can. I'll do more testing and see how it is on the highway on those overpass dips and bumps.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #53
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep

Quote:
idk either and I wish I did more testing to figure it out. Oh well next time!

I tried your

F C 8
F R 9

RC 9
RR 8

Today and its pretty harsh for SF roads..

I went back down to
Front 9R/5C
Rear 8R/4C

and it seems to handle those nasty roads a lot better and not a rattle can. I'll do more testing and see how it is on the highway on those overpass dips and bumps.
Thats fine, if you want it to take hits better you took compression out..

On track you add it back, but not too much and then control everything else with rebound.

i think you are in the correct ballpark now.
Appreciate 1
derbo3607.00
      12-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #54
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Also, just to add MCS has several different valving sets for these cars too. When I spoke to them about mine I was asked for a number inscribed on the bottom so that they could determine which internal valving config they were.

My car is on 500/800lb springs and I was given the following settings (clicks from soft)

Front Compression: 5
Front Rebound: 8

Rear Compression: 4
Rear Rebound: 7

When I had inquired about running more spring rate as well I was told for my particular shock they wouldn't recommend going above 600/900.

It may not entirely be apples to apples comparing settings even with two people on what seems like identical MCS shocks. I know from talking with Derek, his shocks have a different valving set and his upper limit of spring rate is higher than mine.

Another interesting thing, I've never before had shocks where clockwise was soft and counter-clockwise stiff and it tends to throw me off when I want to make adjustments so I have to remind myself these are a bit different.
      12-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #55
dmitriyo
overnight engineer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Also, just to add MCS has several different valving sets for these cars too. When I spoke to them about mine I was asked for a number inscribed on the bottom so that they could determine which internal valving config they were.

My car is on 500/800lb springs and I was given the following settings (clicks from soft)

When I had inquired about running more spring rate as well I was told for my particular shock they wouldn't recommend going above 600/900.

It may not entirely be apples to apples comparing settings even with two people on what seems like identical MCS shocks. I know from talking with Derek, his shocks have a different valving set and his upper limit of spring rate is higher than mine.

Another interesting thing, I've never before had shocks where clockwise was soft and counter-clockwise stiff and it tends to throw me off when I want to make adjustments so I have to remind myself these are a bit different.
I put the little stickers on for that purpose! Need to remember which is which.
Appreciate 1
derbo3607.00
      12-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #56
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post

MCS offers their standard valving and an optional digressive valving. Digressive valving, in particular on rebound (2W dampers are effectively digressive on compression), limits the range of spring rates that can be used before requiring a change in valving because it’s defined for a specific rate. Their standard valving can handle a much wider range of spring rates.
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11478.00
derbo3607.00
//steve\\1074.00