BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by truths2k05 View Post
My m3 is 6spd. And yes I have driven an m3 dct. I drove it on the track quite extensively. It never felt as fast or anywhere near as smooth as my 6spd, of course the dct is faster. In day to day the dct lags, lags, lags. Surges or lags no in between. Sport mode alters it to more surge, but there is still a lot of lag. Drive them back to back and you will see what I'm talking about.

The offensive dct is in my 135i, which uses the same dct as the m3 sans the controller box. It feels no different then the dct in the m3 that I drove on the track. Lags the same,shifts the same. Dct shines once you are going 20-30mph+. Stop and go, or making turns at low speeds is where it rears its ugly head.

The people that say they don't feel the lag or hesitation in their dct at low speeds either don't drive enough or they don't know what to look for.
There has been complaints on the smg and dct gearboxes ever since they came out. I am not alone in this, just check out the complaints at NHTSA, they will go into detail about the issues that I mentioned there.

DCT needs more work from the transmission manufacturers, or bmw needs to have better sensors feeding it the right information to do the job. Dct reminds me of early drive by wire systems, where there is a lag between the right foot and the opening of the throttle, just worse.

Can DCT outperform a 6spd in a straight line, yes. Can DCT be smooth in stop and go traffic, and when slowing down or speeding up to make a turn. SADLY we are not there yet.
Are you sure about that? I don't believe the DCT unit in the M3 and 135i are the same.

Also my DCT is perfectly fine in "stop and go traffic, and when slowing down or speeding up to make a turn."
      10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #24
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I looked on realoem.com, and they appear to have the same DCT unit.

Dual-clutch transmission GS7D36SG
      10-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I live in NYC and work in Queens and unfortunately most of my 7.3 mile commute is sitting in traffic. I have zero complaints about how the DCT handles traffic. It is smooth, doesn't lag and I can't think of any way it could be better for what I have to endure on a daily basis. Part of the route is even going up a slight incline on the 59th street bridge and I don't have any issues crawling along there either. Maybe yours had something wrong or an old software version?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #26
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Thanks bro, tried the dealer but my car is well out of warranty plus being supercharged they won't touch it.
Unfortunately, this is something that should have been taken care of prior to the s/c install. Now it's coming back to haunt you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by truths2k05 View Post
My m3 is 6spd. And yes I have driven an m3 dct. I drove it on the track quite extensively. It never felt as fast or anywhere near as smooth as my 6spd, of course the dct is faster. In day to day the dct lags, lags, lags. Surges or lags no in between. Sport mode alters it to more surge, but there is still a lot of lag. Drive them back to back and you will see what I'm talking about.

The offensive dct is in my 135i, which uses the same dct as the m3 sans the controller box. It feels no different then the dct in the m3 that I drove on the track. Lags the same,shifts the same. Dct shines once you are going 20-30mph+. Stop and go, or making turns at low speeds is where it rears its ugly head.

The people that say they don't feel the lag or hesitation in their dct at low speeds either don't drive enough or they don't know what to look for.
There has been complaints on the smg and dct gearboxes ever since they came out. I am not alone in this, just check out the complaints at NHTSA, they will go into detail about the issues that I mentioned there.

DCT needs more work from the transmission manufacturers, or bmw needs to have better sensors feeding it the right information to do the job. Dct reminds me of early drive by wire systems, where there is a lag between the right foot and the opening of the throttle, just worse.

Can DCT outperform a 6spd in a straight line, yes. Can DCT be smooth in stop and go traffic, and when slowing down or speeding up to make a turn. SADLY we are not there yet.
You're so far off. Most people have no issues with their DCT. The lag issues have been eliminated with software updates. Stop trying to make this into a DCT vs. 6MT thread.

Anyway OP, it sounds really strange to me. When did it start happening? Before or after mods, if you can remember. Just curious... Hope it gets resolved soonest.
      10-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Unfortunately, this is something that should have been taken care of prior to the s/c install. Now it's coming back to haunt you.
I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
You're so far off. Most people have no issues with their DCT. The lag issues have been eliminated with software updates. Stop trying to make this into a DCT vs. 6MT thread.

Anyway OP, it sounds really strange to me. When did it start happening? Before or after mods, if you can remember. Just curious... Hope it gets resolved soonest.
I'm not sure when it started... That's a problem, but I'm pretty sure it happened before the SC kit. I have a couple of cheaper ways to try resolving this issue. One is to take the throttle actuators out and see if they are sticking ( apparently this has been an issue before ). The other is to try a newer DCT box out of a 2011 model which I know that someone has and is willing to let me try before buying. Hopefully it's the actuators.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
I know

I'm not sure when it started... That's a problem, but I'm pretty sure it happened before the SC kit. I have a couple of cheaper ways to try resolving this issue. One is to take the throttle actuators out and see if they are sticking ( apparently this has been an issue before ). The other is to try a newer DCT box out of a 2011 model which I know that someone has and is willing to let me try before buying. Hopefully it's the actuators.
Well it sounds like you have some good options. Hopefully it is just the actuators. I think I've read about problems with them before, I can't pinpoint what the issue was though. Maybe a search would turn something up, but I'm a little short on time right now. Either way, good luck and hope it gets resolved soon!
      10-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #30
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Well it sounds like you have some good options. Hopefully it is just the actuators. I think I've read about problems with them before, I can't pinpoint what the issue was though. Maybe a search would turn something up, but I'm a little short on time right now. Either way, good luck and hope it gets resolved soon!
I've tried searching for months with no luck. Fortunately for everyone this doesn't seemed to have happened before.

Thanks bro, I think I will need it.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0