BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-25-2016, 01:06 AM   #23
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

We can dream...

The reality of M2 and M4 CS has to be good enough for us to offset the pipe dream of M1 supercar.

The M1 is an indulgence does not make any business sense apart from a halo marketing extravagance which cannot pay enough dividends for the money they would divert from other key projects.

I would rather they focus on eveloving and developing the core M range and looking at leap-frogging the competition with the next generation of products that brings back the driving feel of the M2 across the range.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #24
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Can't wait to see the M2 CS
      11-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #25
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

No thanks BMW.

Youre $150k M4 GTS has been a disappointment so why would I have faith in these lesser offerings?

Maybe, maybe if these manage to outrun the $40k Chevrolet 1LE, will I even consider one of these "performance" models.
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx118.00
      11-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
M1 Cs Supercar
Can't wait for the M1 CS
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #27
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Sounds good to me. These cars would be on par with "black series" Mercedes?
I don't think so.

I think the M4 CS will be slotted against the upcoming C63-R, since the GTS will be out of production by then.

It is the CSL that will compete against the Black Series IMO.
Bingo
      11-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #28
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Bmw ain't making no supercar. Keep dreaming guys it's just trademarked as an option but My dream of a real supercar by BMW is dead in my opinion.
I think you're right

BMW don't have the gonads to make one. Oh well when the time comes another car maker will get my cash
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #29
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
I think you're right

BMW don't have the gonads to make one. Oh well when the time comes another car maker will get my cash
Or maybe, juuuuuust maybe, there's not enough of a profit margin for them to produce one, and maybe, juuuuuust maybe, the supercar niche isn't something they are interested in. We won't let the door hit you on the way out though.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #30
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
I think you're right

Or maybe, juuuuuust maybe, there's not enough of a profit margin for them to produce one, and maybe, juuuuuust maybe, the supercar niche isn't something they are interested in. We won't let the door hit you on the way out though.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #31
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
I think what SCOTT26 was alluding to for what you reference is the CSL, not the CS.

Where: Base ///M < Competition Packet < GTS < CSL

I don't believe the CS will fit that "CSL" bill. The mule pictured in the OP does not look that extreme. I see the CS simply as more track focused variant slotted somewhere between the Competition pack and GTS.
I think the order would be Base ///M < Competition Packet < CSL < GTS.
I am not sure where I read it but I remember reading that the GTS would be the most hardcore version.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:49 AM   #32
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Quote:
I think what SCOTT26 was alluding to for what you reference is the CSL, not the CS.

Where: Base ///M < Competition Packet < GTS < CSL

I don't believe the CS will fit that "CSL" bill. The mule pictured in the OP does not look that extreme. I see the CS simply as more track focused variant slotted somewhere between the Competition pack and GTS.
I am not sure where I read it but I remember reading that the GTS would be the most hardcore version.
That sounds correct... But there is room for improvement over the GTS from everything I've read
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:50 AM   #33
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Gatte, see below insight from our resident BMW insider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
CSL will only be available for the Coupe models.

CSL Concept car will be shown in 2016.

CSL will use the ideas from the hommage such as stuck on but blended in aerodynamics to bring a fresh visual perspective to these more extreme hardcore M cars over standard M cars.

CSL cars will not only be the most extreme variants but will also be used as the innovation test lab to test new and exciting innovation to enhance performance but meeting legislation. That includes variations of Power eDrive that have been developed to enhance and assist performance whilst delivering exceptional sustainability.

CSL cars will be innovative in using lightweight materials, the BMW M4 GTS has its upper body completely fabricated with CFRP. And BMW have done additional developments with parts of the M4 chassis also using CFRP in reference to Motorsport purpose, but it would not be unthinkable for application within a road car.

CSL continues the historic decision to use the then E9 and its Motorsport innovations within conventional road cars. But today the field is much further in terms of advanced innovation not only aimed at performance but also sustainability.

Updated 9/1/15:

The purpose and ability to bring something radical to the performance segment lies within the genes of the CSL Hommage. BMW and BMW M through BMWi are now at an exciting stage even ahead of their competitors to introduce an exciting new linage of CSL remodels evoking the very same reasons they were introduced in the first place to develop Motorsport technology and innovation for the road.

If we look at the M4 GTS its lighter,faster and more precise than the standard car plus it uses very new exciting innovation with Water Injection technology to distinguish it further from the standard M4 Coupe as does the increase in weight reduction innovation and the more direct response of the dynamics.
You might question what purpose for an M4 CSL?

It could use the same ideas but distinguish further by an increase in weight reduction innovation but incorporate some of BMWs latest thinking in getting the best of performance with an e-boost system demonstrated on the CSL Hommage. And that innovation is being tested on M4s today.

As everything begins for Motorsport BMW M have fabricated chassis sections and components out of CFRP including actual wheels and steering wheels as well as areas in the suspension out of CFRP for Motorsport evaluation, it is not impossible to include in a special road car. There is a conceptual lab in Munich that testing various CFRP applications in BMW,Rolls-Royce and even MINI's with some Cooper S models testing a CFRP hood.

The programme I have seen to reflect the creative conception of BMW Ms new strategy starts from Road car - Road Car Special Packet(Competition) - GTS - CSL. Identity is important so that is why there is an evolution for each stage with the CSL using conceptual visual ideas from the CSL Hommage but applying them realistically. It will be the first modern BMW Batmobile. And again its mission is to bring the competitive edge of Motorsport innovation to the road exactly like the E9 set out to do.

Of course this needs further funding to innovate and apply so there will be new but for the first time a BMW X3M and BMW X4M as well as M Performance versions of the BMW X1 and upcoming BMW X2. The forthcoming BMW Z sports car will be positioned like BMWi as a book between the BMWi and BMW M.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-26-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #34
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds correct... But there is room for improvement over the GTS from everything I've read
See below insight from our resident BMW insider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
CSL will only be available for the Coupe models.

CSL Concept car will be shown in 2016.

CSL will use the ideas from the hommage such as stuck on but blended in aerodynamics to bring a fresh visual perspective to these more extreme hardcore M cars over standard M cars.

CSL cars will not only be the most extreme variants but will also be used as the innovation test lab to test new and exciting innovation to enhance performance but meeting legislation. That includes variations of Power eDrive that have been developed to enhance and assist performance whilst delivering exceptional sustainability.

CSL cars will be innovative in using lightweight materials, the BMW M4 GTS has its upper body completely fabricated with CFRP. And BMW have done additional developments with parts of the M4 chassis also using CFRP in reference to Motorsport purpose, but it would not be unthinkable for application within a road car.

CSL continues the historic decision to use the then E9 and its Motorsport innovations within conventional road cars. But today the field is much further in terms of advanced innovation not only aimed at performance but also sustainability.

Updated 9/1/15:

The purpose and ability to bring something radical to the performance segment lies within the genes of the CSL Hommage. BMW and BMW M through BMWi are now at an exciting stage even ahead of their competitors to introduce an exciting new linage of CSL remodels evoking the very same reasons they were introduced in the first place to develop Motorsport technology and innovation for the road.

If we look at the M4 GTS its lighter,faster and more precise than the standard car plus it uses very new exciting innovation with Water Injection technology to distinguish it further from the standard M4 Coupe as does the increase in weight reduction innovation and the more direct response of the dynamics.
You might question what purpose for an M4 CSL?

It could use the same ideas but distinguish further by an increase in weight reduction innovation but incorporate some of BMWs latest thinking in getting the best of performance with an e-boost system demonstrated on the CSL Hommage. And that innovation is being tested on M4s today.

As everything begins for Motorsport BMW M have fabricated chassis sections and components out of CFRP including actual wheels and steering wheels as well as areas in the suspension out of CFRP for Motorsport evaluation, it is not impossible to include in a special road car. There is a conceptual lab in Munich that testing various CFRP applications in BMW,Rolls-Royce and even MINI's with some Cooper S models testing a CFRP hood.

The programme I have seen to reflect the creative conception of BMW Ms new strategy starts from Road car - Road Car Special Packet(Competition) - GTS - CSL. Identity is important so that is why there is an evolution for each stage with the CSL using conceptual visual ideas from the CSL Hommage but applying them realistically. It will be the first modern BMW Batmobile. And again its mission is to bring the competitive edge of Motorsport innovation to the road exactly like the E9 set out to do.

Of course this needs further funding to innovate and apply so there will be new but for the first time a BMW X3M and BMW X4M as well as M Performance versions of the BMW X1 and upcoming BMW X2. The forthcoming BMW Z sports car will be positioned like BMWi as a book between the BMWi and BMW M.
So how much is an M4 CSL going to cost?!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #35
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Gatte, see below insight from our resident BMW insider:
Only a few weeks to go before 2016 comes to an end. So are we going to see the M4 CSL or what?
Appreciate 1
clbmw631.00
      11-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #36
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Only a few weeks to go before 2016 comes to an end. So are we going to see the M4 CSL or what?
I am not sure we'll see a CSL variant of the F8X chassis...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #37
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
I am not sure we'll see a CSL variant of the F8X chassis...
I am pretty sure we won't to be honest.

But our insider said we will see a CSL model by end of this year. Still got a few weeks left.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321104.50
      11-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #38
KingFishy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
No thanks BMW.

Youre $150k M4 GTS has been a disappointment so why would I have faith in these lesser offerings?

Maybe, maybe if these manage to outrun the $40k Chevrolet 1LE, will I even consider one of these "performance" models.
Not to mention the Z/28 that is still a bargain for $80K vs the GTS. But a 80K Camaro? That is tough to swallow, but they are a beasts on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #39
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
No thanks BMW.

Then buy the Chevy. Your problem is solved.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50
      11-27-2016, 12:07 AM   #40
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
I think you're right

Exactly. Reason they haven't made a supercar as yet is because they do not believe they would make enough profit in it to justify the cost. They are doing just fine without it profit wise and they have no real urgency driven by the competition or by customers to do it.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #41
CesaroM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: a6

don't get too excited....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #42
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
No thanks BMW.

People expected a lot of the GTS. Less will be expected of the lower variants, so they may actually surprise people by being well balanced offerings.

As for your Chevrolet 1LE statement....

...if outright speed is/was that important to you, why don't/didn't you buy the Chevy?
Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50
      11-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #43
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Quote:
No thanks BMW.

Then buy the Chevy. Your problem is solved.
Exactly my thinking!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Do any of you guys have any renders/predictions about what the lip on this CS looks like? The silhouette looks really good to my eye. I want it!
Appreciate 0