BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #45
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

we pre-ordered the e90 and e92 exhausts about six months ago and they showed up this morning. I desperately want to hear these things and since they are bolt on i was gonna "borrow" a M3 off the lot, unfortunately we dont have any...balls!

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #46
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

...PM me if any Houston locals would like to hear the Dinan exhaust on a coupe in person

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #47
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Thats fu*king horrible. Its unacceptable for them to make this exhaust with only to functional tips and relating it to drone. There are plenty of companies that came out with functional quad tips and absolutely no drone. And for a company so prestigious like Dinan who took longer then any other company out there to come out with an exhaust makes it even more unacceptable and horrible. I mean, i remember when we were all making fun of ISF's for having thsi issue, and the fact that ppl will now go from 4 functional tips to only two is even worse lol. Not to mention only 6hp. I mean i know that very modest, but AA is very modest as well and they still managed more. And i dont even have AA lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #48
Canyon Junkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Thats fu*king horrible. Its unacceptable for them to make this exhaust with only to functional tips and relating it to drone. There are plenty of companies that came out with functional quad tips and absolutely no drone. And for a company so prestigious like Dinan who took longer then any other company out there to come out with an exhaust makes it even more unacceptable and horrible. I mean, i remember when we were all making fun of ISF's for having thsi issue, and the fact that ppl will now go from 4 functional tips to only two is even worse lol. Not to mention only 6hp. I mean i know that very modest, but AA is very modest as well and they still managed more. And i dont even have AA lol.
This is just a muffler and not a full exhaust. 6hp is actually a pretty good bump considering the design quality of our oem muffler.
      03-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #49
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Instead of the quad with fake tips they should have to big exhaust tips instead on each side!!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #50
White08M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
AA FTW

E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #51
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Its not like your going to buy the exhaust? If you don't like how it only has two functional tips then go buy another set up. As long as it sounds good and looks good and still puts down good numbers i am happy. And for the price i got mine I'm complaining. So see no reason for anyone to bash on the product or another product really if they perform as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #52
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Dinan exhaust= M3-F (As in IS-F)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #53
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

I guess someone at Dinan reads these Forums because there are some additional pictures uploaded of the exhaust now. Kinda funny because someone complained about the picture of 6 throttle bodies for the S65 which is an 8 cylinder and the picture was fixed. Now someone complained about the poor pictures of the exhaust and they posted some better ones.
      03-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #54
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
I bet that 6 hp gain was on a Dyno Jet.. I think just RPi's rear section had 8 hp on a DD.
      03-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #55
GoFaster4Fun
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 e90 DCT

I have heard these live and was impressed with the final product. The product looks well designed and executed. There are no polished tubes or cans, but the welds and materials are top shelf (IMO). I am guessing that Steve would not accept a design that had any hint of drone at any rpm, and the package performs that way. At idle it has a deeper, throatier sound that carries though the revs and rings an understated aggressive note at the higher rpms. At highway speeds and around-town speeds the cabin noise is essentially the same as stock; yet under throttle the tone is more aggressive and throatier. If you like louder or more "thump and grunt" in your exhaust this may not be the answer for you. Aesthetically if you like the polished tips with the rolled edges, this does not have it. The finish is a sturdy black ceramic with the Dinan name neatly laser etched onto the top leading edge. The tips are 3" in diameter and made of a heavy enough guage of SS to give a sturdy edge.

With regards to the "inactive" pipe... it just is what it is. The rear valance dictated the space to fill and other than doing some kind of wildly flared tip it does the trick to fill the space. From a physics and performance standpoint the design makes sense (IMO) and you can bet that they did their homework on their product development. Keep in mind that this company specializes in BMW only and it's owner and founder is very hands on with everything that they develop (engines, suspension, brakes... the works)... so I think it is fair to say they know what they are doing and design their products according to the design concepts they keep. This may not be everyone's style... but nothing ever is. Yes, I am a fan of their products... but everyone has different opinions and I certainly respect that. Adding to that, I have not made my final decision on which system I am going to go with yet as I may want a little more "thump and grunt" than this system provides. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on what I heard and saw...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #56
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

Someone needs to get a sound clip asap.
      03-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #57
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine335i View Post
Someone needs to get a sound clip asap.
My Dinan Exhaust will be installed on my new M3 before I take delivery, actually the Dinan guy from my dealer called me to say that my exhaust has been ordered and is enroute. All I need is the car to get here and I will make a sound clip. I am sure that someone else will probably beat me to it though.
      03-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #58
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster4Fun View Post
I have heard these live and was impressed with the final product. The product looks well designed and executed. There are no polished tubes or cans, but the welds and materials are top shelf (IMO). I am guessing that Steve would not accept a design that had any hint of drone at any rpm, and the package performs that way. At idle it has a deeper, throatier sound that carries though the revs and rings an understated aggressive note at the higher rpms. At highway speeds and around-town speeds the cabin noise is essentially the same as stock; yet under throttle the tone is more aggressive and throatier. If you like louder or more "thump and grunt" in your exhaust this may not be the answer for you. Aesthetically if you like the polished tips with the rolled edges, this does not have it. The finish is a sturdy black ceramic with the Dinan name neatly laser etched onto the top leading edge. The tips are 3" in diameter and made of a heavy enough guage of SS to give a sturdy edge.

With regards to the "inactive" pipe... it just is what it is. The rear valance dictated the space to fill and other than doing some kind of wildly flared tip it does the trick to fill the space. From a physics and performance standpoint the design makes sense (IMO) and you can bet that they did their homework on their product development. Keep in mind that this company specializes in BMW only and it's owner and founder is very hands on with everything that they develop (engines, suspension, brakes... the works)... so I think it is fair to say they know what they are doing and design their products according to the design concepts they keep. This may not be everyone's style... but nothing ever is. Yes, I am a fan of their products... but everyone has different opinions and I certainly respect that. Adding to that, I have not made my final decision on which system I am going to go with yet as I may want a little more "thump and grunt" than this system provides. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on what I heard and saw...

Does this post sound like an advertisement to anyone else? Someone with only 2 posts all of a sudden writes a long review praising a product that has mostly been bashed for the entire thread? Not saying it is... just sounds a bit suspicious to me
      03-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #59
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Does this post sound like an advertisement to anyone else? Someone with only 2 posts all of a sudden writes a long review praising a product that has mostly been bashed for the entire thread? Not saying it is... just sounds a bit suspicious to me
Yeah, but at least he's heard them. Still, he didn't give any real useful information, so you have to believe they're NOT on his car. Soon enough we'll see and hear some video.

I think some will like the black coating since it's consistant with black wheels and blackout trim. The single active outlet is no big deal since the stock muffler is a hidden-Y. I doubt that Eisenmann and AA will ever show an internal schematic of their units, but they might very well be hidden-Ys also. If so, then they're all much the same in that respect.

Dave
      03-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #60
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

All are hidden Y's since the inlet is single. I personally like the black tip look. I saw pics on here somewhere of someone else who blacked out their exhaust it looked great.
      03-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #61
GoFaster4Fun
Rep

Correct, I am new to this forum... and as I stated a fan of the Dinan products. I have not purchased a system yet (as stated) and may NOT go with the Dinan as I think I may want something with a little more grunt. I was only offerring feedback on what I had seen and heard because it seemed like there had been very limited exposure to the product so far. Ultimately it comes down to what you like and don't like. This thread seemed to focus on the Dinan product, so I added my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #62
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well then I'll just come out and ask it.

Do you work for Dinan?

Just curious that's all. And welcome to the forum
      03-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #63
GoFaster4Fun
Rep

No, I don't work for Dinan... although that might be fun. I do appreciate good engineering though (I spent 15 yrs doing design work for Northrop-Grumman on things that start life at 300 mph... so I appreciate anyone's design efforts towards performance and speed). I was shocked to see how many different aftermarket companies were offering exhaust systems for these cars and the varied approaches each one has taken with respect to materials, design and aesthetics. I have personally had good experiences with the Dinan products and personally like Steve Dinan's basic design philosophy... so I guess I am a fan... but I don't need to get on any soap boxes... I'm still looking at the options and appreciate the feedback that this forum seems to provide. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #64
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster4Fun View Post
.. I was shocked to see how many different aftermarket companies were offering exhaust systems for these cars and the varied approaches each one has taken with respect to materials, design and aesthetics. ...
Seriously, as a designer, why would you be "shocked" that aftermarket designers take variety of approaches to the same problem? I would have thought that would perhaps intrigue you, but not shock you. Was that just a poor choice of words? If not, then what is it that shocks you? I'm really interested to hear your perspective.

Dave
      03-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #65
GoFaster4Fun
Rep

Not shocked at the designs... just the number of companies providing systems. I've been emersed in a different market for a long time so I guess I'm just ignorant as to the number of players I guess. So... now that I have more time I'm jumping on some of these forums to get some feedback and hear what's out there. As a designer I like to look at everything... so with so many things to look at it just takes more time (then cost start to factor in). It's like taking your kids to Baskin Robbins... too many choices sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #66
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Junkie View Post
This is just a muffler and not a full exhaust. 6hp is actually a pretty good bump considering the design quality of our oem muffler.
+1. As an accused Dinan "basher" even I have to agree. Its a axel back exhaust nothing more. You arent going to see any hp gains off a mod like that, the only reason one would buy an axle back exhaust is for sound. The hp is icing on the cake.
Appreciate 0