BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #23
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
My friend. It is a diesel oil. Diesel oils have added cleaning detergents for Diesel engines. If you Haven't checked their website before then i highly suggest you do so.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6...synthetic.html

Look under improved deposit control.

And? There are countless oils that are dual-rated for gasoline and diesel. If it wasn't safe to use repeatedly, they would probably (A) not sell a lot of it, and (B) outright state "not for repeated use in gasoline engines".

So far you're still not providing any proof that "added cleaning detergents" cause a problem, you're just making wild claims without backing them up. Feel free to send Shell technical support a message and ask them about it. I'd bet you $20 they will say it is perfectly safe.
      09-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #24
German Straight-6
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 328i & F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
And? There are countless oils that are dual-rated for gasoline and diesel. If it wasn't safe to use repeatedly, they would probably (A) not sell a lot of it, and (B) outright state "not for repeated use in gasoline engines".

So far you're still not providing any proof that "added cleaning detergents" cause a problem, you're just making wild claims without backing them up. Feel free to send Shell technical support a message and ask them about it. I'd bet you $20 they will say it is perfectly safe.
shell rotella is an excellent oil and there is nothing wrong with using it in a gasoline motor. I've done it myself and the fact that OP has been religiously using it with zero bearing issues at 150k miles speaks for itself.

I was just saying that *potentially* the detergents arent good for a gasoline motor which does not produce soot like diesel engines, but rotella is a hell of a lot better oil then Mobil 1 and whatever other crap people typically use.

I was not bashing this oil in anyway whatsoever and I suggest that more people use it. Not only is it one of the best oils out there period, but it's half cheaper then oils which don't even come close in terms of quality and protection.

a lot of engine damage arises during cold starts, and I found the rotella to be absolutely excellent during cold weather starting with zero valve ticking. it is an outstanding oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #25
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Straight-6 View Post
but rotella is a hell of a lot better oil then Mobil 1 and whatever other crap people typically use.

Huh? Since when is Mobil 1 crap?

It's also a pretty vague statement to say that Rotella is "better" than Mobil 1.
      09-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #26
German Straight-6
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 328i & F10 535i

Quote:
Huh? Since when is Mobil 1 crap?

It's also a pretty vague statement to say that Rotella is "better" than Mobil 1.
Well then, perhaps you can do some research and determine for yourself which oil is best.

I've compared rotella, castrol and Mobil 1 all in 5w40 weight for a 5000mile interval. I noticed that after 4000-5000miles, the engine still ran noticeably smoother then the other two oils which thinned out from fuel shear.

seriously, you can try it for yourself since you are obviously skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #27
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Straight-6 View Post
Well then, perhaps you can do some research and determine for yourself which oil is best.

I've compared rotella, castrol and Mobil 1 all in 5w40 weight for a 5000mile interval. I noticed that after 4000-5000miles, the engine still ran noticeably smoother then the other two oils which thinned out from fuel shear.

seriously, you can try it for yourself since you are obviously skeptical.

You say I should "do some research and determine for [myself] which oil is best" then turn around and speak in absurd subjective generalities. Which is it?

I am not skeptical of Rotella at all. It's a good oil, and to post pointless things like "Mobil 1 is crap" with no objective proof is ridiculous. By the way, I have no strong feelings for or against XOM or Shell. I want people to look at things like this objectively and base their decisions on facts and data. Otherwise, this site will be nothing more than a circlejerk and echo chamber of "OMG I love product X, everyone should use it because I said so."

If you like using Rotella, and it works well in your specific engine and in conjunction with your driving situation (style, habits, etc.), that's great -- keep using it. Don't make blanket statements and act like your experience applies to everyone. As the OP said partway into this thread, we don't need to derail this into an oil pissing war, which is what several of you have done.
      09-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #28
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
What is long term use? More than the 80k by the OP?

If T6 was far better quality than M1 or Castrol how come no performance cars specify it and instead use those oils that you claim are far lower quality?

Exactly. Speaking in generality like "T6 is better than Mobil 1" is absolutely pointless. Oils and their operational performance are far more nuanced than just making it A vs B.

Everyone's motor is different. Everyone's driving style is different. Everyone's driving habits are different. There is no "best" oil for everyone...it's all shades of gray.

I think anyone who spends the time to look through the hundreds of reports posted to here will see that the actual difference in operation between most major oils is minimal. Go find my reports if you don't believe me: Castrol TWS versus the new Shell BMW-branded oil was basically identical, even in a tougher use case like mine (lots of short trips and track days). You are truly splitting hairs if you pick one oil over another because a report showed 1ppm less of some material. Even Blackstone, the people who run the fucking reports, has said that's moronic.

The OEMs know that the differences are minimal since all of these oils are meeting the same specs & certifications, so the price becomes a huge factor. Why would BMW spend millions of dollars in extra money on licensing costs for differences that are within the margin of error for performance testing?
      10-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #29
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Exactly. Speaking in generality like "T6 is better than Mobil 1" is absolutely pointless. Oils and their operational performance are far more nuanced than just making it A vs B.

Everyone's motor is different. Everyone's driving style is different. Everyone's driving habits are different. There is no "best" oil for everyone...it's all shades of gray.

I think anyone who spends the time to look through the hundreds of reports posted to here will see that the actual difference in operation between most major oils is minimal. Go find my reports if you don't believe me: Castrol TWS versus the new Shell BMW-branded oil was basically identical, even in a tougher use case like mine (lots of short trips and track days). You are truly splitting hairs if you pick one oil over another because a report showed 1ppm less of some material. Even Blackstone, the people who run the fucking reports, has said that's moronic.

The OEMs know that the differences are minimal since all of these oils are meeting the same specs & certifications, so the price becomes a huge factor. Why would BMW spend millions of dollars in extra money on licensing costs for differences that are within the margin of error for performance testing?
Pm'd
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #30
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

updated with new report 27 Dec
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #31
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Looks great man, congrats!! So nice to see this...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #32
highwaystardoritos
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

at 80k right now with OG everything. Just did my latest oil change last week with the Shell T6, lets hope my report comes back equal or better <3
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #33
trboboost91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaystardoritos View Post
at 80k right now with OG everything. Just did my latest oil change last week with the Shell T6, lets hope my report comes back equal or better <3
And?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #34
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
updated with new report 27 Dec
WingZeroX5 What is your oil consumption using this oil at this mileage?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #35
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
WingZeroX5 What is your oil consumption using this oil at this mileage?
About less than 1 qt in between every OCI, around 5-6k.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #36
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
About less than 1 qt in between every OCI, around 5-6k.
Not bad..I was expecting more than that for this kind of thickness compared to TWS 10W60
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #37
highwaystardoritos
Photographer
United_States
Rep

thanks again Wingzero for the oil suggestion, mine came out amazing from report.

Appreciate 1
      05-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #38
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

Curious to know what climate is like in yours and WingZero's for a gauge of what temps this would work in. Dont think this would work in AZ where I am.

Quote:
thanks again Wingzero for the oil suggestion, mine came out amazing from report.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #39
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Curious to know what climate is like in yours and WingZero's for a gauge of what temps this would work in. Dont think this would work in AZ where I am.

Quote:

I'm in the northeast
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #40
highwaystardoritos
Photographer
United_States
Rep

In Florida... So this was during Dec and May so mixed between Cold and Hot weather lol

if you want to nerd out use this

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usfl0985
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #41
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

new report added
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #42
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Did BS say there might be very small coolant leak?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #43
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
Did BS say there might be very small coolant leak?
It's possible, but I have yet to confirm. I can either wait until my next OCI or inspect it. It's pretty steamy outside and going to be for the rest of the week, so I'm feeling particular lazy lol. I'm not having any major issues so it's not a concern of mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #44
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's possible, but I have yet to confirm. I can either wait until my next OCI or inspect it. It's pretty steamy outside and going to be for the rest of the week, so I'm feeling particular lazy lol. I'm not having any major issues so it's not a concern of mine.
Just wondering how are you going to inspect it? Are you suspecting a small issue or major like headgasket ?
Appreciate 0