BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

First run in with drunk drivers on the road

You go to drivers ed and see videos of drunk drivers. You hear your parents and friends telling you about how dangerous they are. You even see them running a mess on the news... but it does not compare to actually being next to one on the road... guys, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.

I was going west on Sunset Blvd in Beverly Hills (there is a greenery in the middle of the road dividing the two directions you can go in). I'm driving with four friends, and we see this white Nissan Murano with bling bling chromies start making a U-turn.... not complete the turn and start driving directly towards us. We gave the guy the benefit of the doubt, he pulled next to the greenery and let us pass. I look in my rearview and see him sloppily make a U-turn ON THE GREENERY with more traffic approaching him, this is when I started to suspect he was drunk.

And he wasn't the only drunk one on the road.

I look in my rear view again and I see a Chrysler 300 start flooring it towards my ass... he kept going FASTER and FASTER directly towards me, and I'm in the right lane, not like I can pull over... what do I do? FLOOR IT. Mind you I'm in my heavy ass X5, 5 people in the car, on Sunset twists. The guy zooms past me nearly clipping me and we're neck and neck. I slam on the brakes to let him fly forward and take the first opportunity I have to pull off on a side street to cool off. I would've done this earlier but with the time it would take me to slow down and make the turn, the guy would have surely hit me. We think its all good and get back on the road after a few minutes.

Low and behold the Murano is back.

I get in the left land and slow down to let him pass and he has his hazards on, driving sloppily changing lanes (using his blinkers, impressive) again and again. My friends laugh but I'm still freaked out. He drives normally, we think all is well, and then he starts driving on the freaking sidewalk and almost hits a pole. People would've gotten run over if they were walking on that street. Thank GOD nothing happened.

Enough was enough and I called 911 and reported him as he was pulling off onto a side street.

Guys, its obvious these guys were drunk off their minds and thought it was cool to drive. Don't ever have a couple drinks thinking your okay and get behind the wheel. That's most likely what happened to these people. Call a friend, call a cab, but DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.

I love cars, we all love cars on this forum, but I never fully realize the danger of cars until that night when I saw a Nissan and Chrysler both turn into 4,000 pound, fast, blocks of deadly medal. It sounds overdramatic, I know, but I can assure you if you're ever find yourself in the same position (which I surely hope you don't) you'd think the same.

Last edited by x5love; 02-06-2008 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I think it's safe to say that those of us who drink have been completely blitzed while driving a time or two.

I just don't know how people get so drunk they drive like this or run the opposite direction. It's very scary.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

That sounds freaky. What'd the cops say? Was there any resolution or did you just kinda haul out of there hoping to not see them anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
That sounds freaky. What'd the cops say? Was there any resolution or did you just kinda haul out of there hoping to not see them anymore.
911 just asked for a description and I assume sent cops to the area. As soon as the Nissan turned into a sidestreet I drove off not looking back. After seeing him drive on the sidewalk like that, I didn't want to risk anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
keysopendoors
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport

cruise sunset any thursday-saturday night and you'll see the same thing, no matter what area you're in. its notorious for drunk drivers, with all the local clubs/bars...etc. I too have run into them on many occasions and the best thing to do is just stay as far away as possible.

while i havent ever seen anyone drive up onto the sidewalk or over the mid-section, the "fly by" from the chyrsler sounds very familiar to me....as the same thing happened to me (probably in the same section of sunset) while I was pimpin' my rental X3 on a Saturday night.

be safe out there guys...we dont need anymore news coverage about "street racing" BMW's killing people on Sunset