BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #177
TTony
First Lieutenant
United_States
82
Rep
386
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, E60 M5, '06 IS350
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (1)

Interested if the dB can be kept down to pass sound at Laguna.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:48 AM   #178
dgoldenz
Lieutenant
119
Rep
594
Posts

Drives: 991S
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Some place somewhere

iTrader: (1)

Interested if the dB can be kept to an extremely high level so I can give everyone a heart attack within a 3 block radius. But no drone with valves open. I'd also like a low-mile GT3 for $50k. Thank you.
Appreciate 2
b4hand126.50
6ixSpd2786.00

      07-24-2018, 01:00 AM   #179
Bomiz
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Bomiz's Avatar
253
Rep
762
Posts


Drives: SS E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTony View Post
Interested if the dB can be kept down to pass sound at Laguna.
Closed it should pass fine.
__________________
09 Silverstone E92 M3
Follow our IG! @BomizUSA
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #180
L4ces
Major
L4ces's Avatar
United_States
277
Rep
1,443
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ - NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTony View Post
Interested if the dB can be kept down to pass sound at Laguna.
Closed it should pass fine.
Hmmm, questions comes to mind.
Who is the audience for this exhaust?
A.) Track focused - these guys have to deal with track restrictions.

B.) Like it loud crowd

C.) Sporty but not too loud crowd

If identifying an audience is difficult to nail down, perhaps identifying what characteristics are you targeting?
Closed :
- sporty and tastefully above oem
- loud
- quiet like oem

Open :
- obnoxiously loud without regard for track restrictions
- loud with regard to track restrictions
- loud and elegant
-

After typing the above I began to realize that this is very subjective and not so easy to quantify. However, I think there could be something useful learned by going through the exercise... this exhaust could be useless to those who wish to use it on a track if the exhaust exceeds all track noise level restrictions. No point in running closed on the track.

For the street, some want it closed for quiet and others may want closed to be daily drivable and present whereas loud is just a place to visit when you just want to have it all.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #181
TTony
First Lieutenant
United_States
82
Rep
386
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, E60 M5, '06 IS350
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Hmmm, questions comes to mind.
Who is the audience for this exhaust?
A.) Track focused - these guys have to deal with track restrictions.

B.) Like it loud crowd

C.) Sporty but not too loud crowd

If identifying an audience is difficult to nail down, perhaps identifying what characteristics are you targeting?
Closed :
- sporty and tastefully above oem
- loud
- quiet like oem

Open :
- obnoxiously loud without regard for track restrictions
- loud with regard to track restrictions
- loud and elegant
My thoughts...

Closed:
- Quiet like oem
Open:
- loud like high pitched and exotic/raspy, not loud and boomy
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #182
M3 Number 86
Major General
2580
Rep
5,446
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Saw both of these in person. Those scared of the second version no reason to be. You can't even tell the second tip is straight piped. Love it.

Show us the third prototype!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #183
Dlpfcb
First Lieutenant
159
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

I agree where did Bomiz go....we need this thing before winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #184
Bomiz
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Bomiz's Avatar
253
Rep
762
Posts


Drives: SS E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

I wanted to Chime in and tell you guys what's happening. I don't want to release a group buy until I know the prototype I make is near-perfect. Also trying to make sure cost is affordable and the quality is top notch. Every single day i'm on top of everything trying to make sure the design, quality, parts, etc. are coming together and being built correctly. Also know that the first prototype is a different builder from the 2nd and 3rd.

The First prototype had its downfalls. 3inch Piping is too large, and the closed sound/tone wasn't where I wanted it to be.

The Second prototype was ok but still had it's hiccups. 2 different diameter piping, I don't like the valves so far back because it's pretty close to the heat shield under the car as well.


My 3rd prototype i've been working on for quite a while. They misunderstood me on the design while making it so it took a little bit longer to finish. But it's done I should have it in about a week.

It's based on the 1st prototype, but with 2.5inch piping, different muffler design, Long piping for the tips for major adjustability, and a few small things.

I have not forgot about everyone, i'm still working everyday to get it right and make everyone happy with what they're going to purchase. Just because it's affordable doesn't mean i'm taking any old muffler and slapping valves on it to sell.

As a Side note: I built a catless x pipe to go along with the system for testing, and i'll see how it turns out. If people are interested in buying a full system instead of an axleback, i'll most likely make it an option.

Please let me know any questions you might have. I post pictures on my Instagram and Story all the time more often than here if you want to follow me for quicker updates.

The New prototype won't be going on my car. Spencer Berke will be rocking it when it comes so he can pair it his new VF Supercharger.

Here's a preview:

2018-08-12_12-46-24
__________________
09 Silverstone E92 M3
Follow our IG! @BomizUSA
Appreciate 3
Aktavate109.50
Dlpfcb158.50
b4hand126.50

      08-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #185
Eme 3
Enlisted Member
Puerto Rico
3
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #186
Dlpfcb
First Lieutenant
159
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (1)

Looks awesome, I would be interested in the x pipe with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #187
L4ces
Major
L4ces's Avatar
United_States
277
Rep
1,443
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ - NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Hmmm, just thinking.
How about an hfc xpipe specifically for the OEM and MPE exhaust. A turnkey offering obviously including a slew of resonators and HFC?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #188
Bomiz
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Bomiz's Avatar
253
Rep
762
Posts


Drives: SS E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Hmmm, just thinking.
How about an hfc xpipe specifically for the OEM and MPE exhaust. A turnkey offering obviously including a slew of resonators and HFC?
I don't mind doing high flow cats. obviously they would be more expensive than catless. but I wouldn't be able to provide you Dyno testing, etc. but by all means I can show you a picture of HFC that would be used and you can tell me if you'd be interested in having them built with them.
__________________
09 Silverstone E92 M3
Follow our IG! @BomizUSA
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #189
M3 Number 86
Major General
2580
Rep
5,446
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
I wanted to Chime in and tell you guys what's happening. I don't want to release a group buy until I know the prototype I make is near-perfect. Also trying to make sure cost is affordable and the quality is top notch. Every single day i'm on top of everything trying to make sure the design, quality, parts, etc. are coming together and being built correctly. Also know that the first prototype is a different builder from the 2nd and 3rd.

The First prototype had its downfalls. 3inch Piping is too large, and the closed sound/tone wasn't where I wanted it to be.

The Second prototype was ok but still had it's hiccups. 2 different diameter piping, I don't like the valves so far back because it's pretty close to the heat shield under the car as well.


My 3rd prototype i've been working on for quite a while. They misunderstood me on the design while making it so it took a little bit longer to finish. But it's done I should have it in about a week.

It's based on the 1st prototype, but with 2.5inch piping, different muffler design, Long piping for the tips for major adjustability, and a few small things.

I have not forgot about everyone, i'm still working everyday to get it right and make everyone happy with what they're going to purchase. Just because it's affordable doesn't mean i'm taking any old muffler and slapping valves on it to sell.

As a Side note: I built a catless x pipe to go along with the system for testing, and i'll see how it turns out. If people are interested in buying a full system instead of an axleback, i'll most likely make it an option.

Please let me know any questions you might have. I post pictures on my Instagram and Story all the time more often than here if you want to follow me for quicker updates.

The New prototype won't be going on my car. Spencer Berke will be rocking it when it comes so he can pair it his new VF Supercharger.

Here's a preview:

2018-08-12_12-46-24
E90 fitment test by Spencer. No problems with that for me lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #190
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1776
Rep
6,407
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Curious, why not go for a larger muffler? This would help keep things quiet when the valves are closed and you're cruising.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #191
Bomiz
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Bomiz's Avatar
253
Rep
762
Posts


Drives: SS E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Curious, why not go for a larger muffler? This would help keep things quiet when the valves are closed and you're cruising.
It will still be quiet with the valves closed.
__________________
09 Silverstone E92 M3
Follow our IG! @BomizUSA
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #192
kpewpew
Captain
kpewpew's Avatar
United_States
331
Rep
688
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Any measurements on decibel level at 50 ft away? Would be WOT, 6-8k RPM @ 3rd gear when I pass the sound check at Laguna Seca. Just failed it this past weekend @ 93.4 dB. Considering Dinan exhaust or MPE to quiet it down a bit, but if yours can go <90.... may be worth waiting
__________________
2011 AW E92 M3 | DCT/Comp/Prem/Tech/CF roof
Rotora BBK 6p/380mm + 4p/355mm | TE37 SL | APEX EC-7 | MPE | Dinan front sway bar, camber plates, and FCAB monoballs | ESS ECU tune | GTS DCT tune | Slambo/Level3 alu undertray | Slon Workshop DCT pan
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #193
Bomiz
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Bomiz's Avatar
253
Rep
762
Posts


Drives: SS E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Any measurements on decibel level at 50 ft away? Would be WOT, 6-8k RPM @ 3rd gear when I pass the sound check at Laguna Seca. Just failed it this past weekend @ 93.4 dB. Considering Dinan exhaust or MPE to quiet it down a bit, but if yours can go <90.... may be worth waiting
Closed i'm pretty sure it'll be under that.
__________________
09 Silverstone E92 M3
Follow our IG! @BomizUSA
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:27 AM   #194
L4ces
Major
L4ces's Avatar
United_States
277
Rep
1,443
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ - NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Any measurements on decibel level at 50 ft away? Would be WOT, 6-8k RPM @ 3rd gear when I pass the sound check at Laguna Seca. Just failed it this past weekend @ 93.4 dB. Considering Dinan exhaust or MPE to quiet it down a bit, but if yours can go <90.... may be worth waiting

(Humorously) BrandX race exhaust ...
Disclaimer: not race track usable
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #195
M3 Number 86
Major General
2580
Rep
5,446
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Any measurements on decibel level at 50 ft away? Would be WOT, 6-8k RPM @ 3rd gear when I pass the sound check at Laguna Seca. Just failed it this past weekend @ 93.4 dB. Considering Dinan exhaust or MPE to quiet it down a bit, but if yours can go <90.... may be worth waiting
i think MPE and Dinan will fail too. akra evo passes 92dB.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #196
SFCM3
Captain
United_States
492
Rep
898
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

you had me all the way up until the Spencer part...not really a good comp for sounds being as how he has a blower. Majority of your audience are not running a blower, also i will leave my opinions of SB out of this thread.
__________________
I am never able to post pictures on forums, all my pics are on IG @baye30 https://www.instagram.com/baye30/
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd2786.00

      08-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #197
Bomiz
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Bomiz's Avatar
253
Rep
762
Posts


Drives: SS E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
you had me all the way up until the Spencer part...not really a good comp for sounds being as how he has a blower. Majority of your audience are not running a blower, also i will leave my opinions of SB out of this thread.
I don't think there's much of an exhaust sound difference
__________________
09 Silverstone E92 M3
Follow our IG! @BomizUSA
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #198
kpewpew
Captain
kpewpew's Avatar
United_States
331
Rep
688
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
i think MPE and Dinan will fail too. akra evo passes 92dB.
Isn't the akra evo a mid-pipe + muffler? I'm thinking of just swapping mufflers, and my bet is that the MPE would still be quieter than my Bimmerworld/Magnaflow street exhaust. (muffler only as well) These measurements are from ~50 ft away
__________________
2011 AW E92 M3 | DCT/Comp/Prem/Tech/CF roof
Rotora BBK 6p/380mm + 4p/355mm | TE37 SL | APEX EC-7 | MPE | Dinan front sway bar, camber plates, and FCAB monoballs | ESS ECU tune | GTS DCT tune | Slambo/Level3 alu undertray | Slon Workshop DCT pan
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST