BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
EXXEL Distributions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
slcook54
New Member
slcook54's Avatar
9
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2012 MR M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

slcook54's Build Journal - 2012 Melbourne Red M3

Hi all,

Proud new owner of a 2012 DCT Melbourne Red M3. Picked it up yesterday (01/05/19) for $33k with 35k miles on the clock. It's almost my perfect spec, as it’s missing the competition package, red on black cloth, carbon roof, carbon interior trim, no nav. Will add GTS wheels at a later date to make up for the missing competition package.

My journey with BMW's started 15 years ago in 2004, when I bought the Hellrot Red E36 M3 pictured below. I absolutely loved that car. It started stock, went to OEM+, then supercharged, then turbocharged, making 470rwhp on a built motor. I learned a lot of lessons with that build and recall being the happiest when the car was in its OEM+ configuration. When it was turbocharged, it was spending more time in the shop than on the road.

I'm 10 years wiser and keeping that build top of mind entering this new journey. My short-term goal will be to proactively address all the known shortcomings and just enjoy it. Famous last words, I know.

My first step will be a uniden R3 / blend mount setup and then likely do a small road trip to LA to have Malek at MRF do the rod bearings, motor mounts and throttle actuators.

I'm in the Bay Area and have no shortage of amazing shops, but will likely be using Performance Technic as my home shop for all general maintenance and upgrades.

I’m also 95% sure the exhaust is aftermarket, it’s very loud and drones at cruising speed, will be putting this back to stock for the time being and determining which setup best fits my needs. I loved my Eisenmann Race on my E36, but it might be too loud for me now.

I'll be searching around the forum later, but if anyone has any iPhone mount/holder recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has retrofitted front/rear pdc to a tablet or iPhone in a non-Nav car, that is something I'm interested in looking into down the line.

Look forward to sharing this journey with you all and hopefully meet some of you in the future.




Last edited by slcook54; 01-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Appreciate 4
      01-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
e90335e36m3
Private
22
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: '13 M3; '14 Chevy Sonic
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (1)

One of my favorite E36s on BFC, I graduated from my own supercharged, then turbocharged E36 M3 (Estoril), to an E90 M3 then 3 E92 M3s. Almost sold the current one with 11K miles, but decided against it and ordered a Harrop SC, x-pipe and other goodies instead just this month.

After a turbo E36 M3, I doubt you'll be satisfied by an NA M3. I wasn't for me. I'll be the first to welcome you to the FI club when you inevitably go there.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
slcook54
New Member
slcook54's Avatar
9
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2012 MR M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Thank you! That means a lot and great to see old bf.c guys on here. Were you running a TT kit or something different?

To be honest, I'm going to get my adrenaline fix on the track this time around. My 2-year goal is to be in a 991.1 GT3 RS, at which point, this car will become fully track focused. For the time being, it will stay as a reliable weekend car with bolt-ons that can also haul my 2-year old daughter around. Power wise, I'm thinking Eventuri intake, BPM software and exhaust, nothing more. Boring, I know.

Last edited by slcook54; 01-06-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
e90335e36m3
Private
22
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: '13 M3; '14 Chevy Sonic
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Thank you! That means a lot and great to see old bf.c guys on here. Were you running a TT kit or something different?

To be honest, I'm going to get my adrenaline fix on the track this time around. My 2-year goal is to be in a 991.1 GT3 RS, at which point, this car will become fully track focused. For the time being, it will stay as a reliable weekend car with bolt-ons that can also haul my 2-year old daughter around. Power wise, I'm thinking Eventuri intake, BPM software and exhaust, nothing more. Boring, I know.
I ran AA's stage II turbo and their race exhaust, it made 417 whp if I recall correctly. The AA SC I had prior to made 395 whp. One thing I learned is that turbo is more fun, SC is more reliable. Hopefully the Harrop (positive displacement SC) will give me a good balance between the two, plus that 03 Cobra whine.

Man some BFCers think alike. I almost bought a 997 GT3 but after rationalizing through it bought a couple of rental properties instead and a 4K mile E92 M3. My P-car dream is sidelined for 5 years. Experimentation and FI is really what made the E36 fun. I haven't really had that passion with my E9x cars. Until my brother got a 700whp CTS-V last week as a backup to his C6 Z06. One pull to 170mph in that car and I placed the order for my Harrop the same evening. I am itching to modify so bad, and I work in Europe most of the year. Hopefully you find that with the track hobby.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
derbo
Keeper of Blinky Lights
derbo's Avatar
United_States
578
Rep
634
Posts

Drives: Beluga Whale
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
welcome to another local!

I think OEM+ is the way to go! Hope to see you around the area. Don't forget there is Ptech, VTMotorworks (Master techs used to be at Ptech), SVBimmers, Edge Motorworks,
__________________

Last edited by derbo; 01-06-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Aktavate
Private First Class
Aktavate's Avatar
132
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: Red
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Reno / SFBA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
Congrats, nice pickup, love the E36 as well!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Tewie
Lieutenant
Tewie's Avatar
United_States
156
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Vallejo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Another MR in the Bay Area! Been seeing a lot lately.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
slcook54
New Member
slcook54's Avatar
9
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2012 MR M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
I ran AA's stage II turbo and their race exhaust, it made 417 whp if I recall correctly. The AA SC I had prior to made 395 whp. One thing I learned is that turbo is more fun, SC is more reliable. Hopefully the Harrop (positive displacement SC) will give me a good balance between the two, plus that 03 Cobra whine.

Man some BFCers think alike. I almost bought a 997 GT3 but after rationalizing through it bought a couple of rental properties instead and a 4K mile E92 M3. My P-car dream is sidelined for 5 years. Experimentation and FI is really what made the E36 fun. I haven't really had that passion with my E9x cars. Until my brother got a 700whp CTS-V last week as a backup to his C6 Z06. One pull to 170mph in that car and I placed the order for my Harrop the same evening. I am itching to modify so bad, and I work in Europe most of the year. Hopefully you find that with the track hobby.
I hear you, I have 3 rental properties in Indianapolis, the cash ROI might be high, but the life ROI on boost is in another league entirely, am I right? Remind me to avoid riding in any 700rwhp cars for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
welcome to another local!

I think OEM+ is the way to go! Hope to see you around the area. Don't forget there is Ptech, VTMotorworks (Master techs used to be at Ptech), SVBimmers, Edge Motorworks,
Thanks for the recommendations, will check them out also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktavate View Post
Congrats, nice pickup, love the E36 as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewie View Post
Another MR in the Bay Area! Been seeing a lot lately.
Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
Helmsman
Brigadier General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
1751
Rep
4,323
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Beautiful ride OP - congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Mike@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
495
Rep
1,040
Posts


Drives: 997.2 S
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Awesome pick up, I'm a big fan of Melbourne Your E36 was one of the few that really made me want to get one eventually—can't seem to part with it now that it's in my garage.

I think during our lifetime we all have to push the limit for what we do to a car...I think for a time, I took each "next" car a bit further mod-wise than the previous, but like you've said, often times the happiest moments come from a simpler time. My most recent garage additions have been more minimalist / OEM+ in a similar vein.

I'm very much looking forward to keeping up with your E9X journey!
__________________


IND DISTRIBUTION | 866-963-4520 • FACEBOOKINSTAGRAMFLICKR
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
slcook54
New Member
slcook54's Avatar
9
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2012 MR M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@IND View Post
Awesome pick up, I'm a big fan of Melbourne Your E36 was one of the few that really made me want to get one eventually—can't seem to part with it now that it's in my garage.

I think during our lifetime we all have to push the limit for what we do to a car...I think for a time, I took each "next" car a bit further mod-wise than the previous, but like you've said, often times the happiest moments come from a simpler time. My most recent garage additions have been more minimalist / OEM+ in a similar vein.

I'm very much looking forward to keeping up with your E9X journey!
Thank you, Mike, that means a lot. And, you can bet I'll be leveraging that for future IND discounts.
Appreciate 1
Mike@IND495.00

      01-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #12
Mike@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
495
Rep
1,040
Posts


Drives: 997.2 S
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Thank you, Mike, that means a lot. And, you can bet I'll be leveraging that for future IND discounts.


In regard to exhausts, I can tell you first hand that the E9X Eisenmann Race carries much more volume than the E36 equivalent. I have Race on both my E36 and E90 and both before / after the x-pipe additions, the E36 is much more subdued.

If you're looking for a system around the Eisenmann E36 Race, I'd probably go for either an Eisenmann Sport or an Akra system.
__________________


IND DISTRIBUTION | 866-963-4520 • FACEBOOKINSTAGRAMFLICKR
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
slcook54
New Member
slcook54's Avatar
9
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2012 MR M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@IND View Post


In regard to exhausts, I can tell you first hand that the E9X Eisenmann Race carries much more volume than the E36 equivalent. I have Race on both my E36 and E90 and both before / after the x-pipe additions, the E36 is much more subdued.

If you're looking for a system around the Eisenmann E36 Race, I'd probably go for either an Eisenmann Sport or an Akra system.
I'm reading other threads saying even the Eisenmann sport is bassy. I'm looking for something docile at cruising speeds and exotic up top. It seems like the M Performance exhaust could be a good option.

Last edited by slcook54; 01-07-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #14
HELROTM3
Second Lieutenant
95
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: 1995 e36 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (2)

[quote=slcook54;24200609]Hi all,

Proud new owner of a 2012 DCT Melbourne Red M3. Picked it up yesterday (01/05/19) for $33k with 35k miles on the clock. It's almost my perfect spec, as it’s missing the competition package, red on black cloth, carbon roof, carbon interior trim, no nav. Will add GTS wheels at a later date to make up for the missing competition package.

My journey with BMW's started 11 years ago in 2008, when I bought the Hellrot Red E36 M3 pictured below. I absolutely loved that car. It started stock, went to OEM+, then supercharged, then turbocharged, making 470rwhp on a built motor. I learned a lot of lessons with that build and recall being the happiest when the car was in its OEM+ configuration. When it was turbocharged, it was spending more time in the shop than on the road.

I'm 10 years wiser and keeping that build top of mind entering this new journey. My short-term goal will be to proactively address all the known shortcomings and just enjoy it. Famous last words, I know.

My first step will be a uniden R3 / blend mount setup and then likely do a small road trip to LA to have Malek at MRF do the rod bearings, motor mounts and throttle actuators.

I'm in the Bay Area and have no shortage of amazing shops, but will likely be using Performance Technic as my home shop for all general maintenance and upgrades.

I’m also 95% sure the exhaust is aftermarket, it’s very loud and drones at cruising speed, will be putting this back to stock for the time being and determining which setup best fits my needs. I loved my Eisenmann Race on my E36, but it might be too loud for me now.

I'll be searching around the forum later, but if anyone has any iPhone mount/holder recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has retrofitted front/rear pdc to a tablet or iPhone in a non-Nav car, that is something I'm interested in looking into down the line.

Look forward to sharing this journey with you all and hopefully meet some of you in the future.



Well done! Any interior shots?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
slcook54
New Member
slcook54's Avatar
9
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2012 MR M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Better pictures will be coming in the near future. The car is currently at my Dad's house, 40 minutes away, in Walnut Creek. I was just able to secure parking in my building yesterday, so will be picking up the car this weekend to finally bring it home.

Also, the loud exhaust was the product of a loose exhaust clamp, my Dad drove it in for service and reported that the return trip was much quieter.

The dealer also reported that the tires are at 5/32 front and 7/32 rears. Thinking about a set of fresh PS4's mounted on GTS wheels.

Last edited by slcook54; 01-11-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Appreciate 1
M3Post393.00

      01-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #16
JackieChiles
Second Lieutenant
JackieChiles's Avatar
51
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
I'm reading other threads saying even the Eisenmann sport is bassy. I'm looking for something docile at cruising speeds and exotic up top. It seems like the M Performance exhaust could be a good option.
M performance is perfect for that, it’s what I run also

Exotic metallic sound, but no drone. Sounds awesome.

Makes the m3 sound even more unique.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #17
slcook54
New Member
slcook54's Avatar
9
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2012 MR M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChiles View Post
M performance is perfect for that, it’s what I run also

Exotic metallic sound, but no drone. Sounds awesome.

Makes the m3 sound even more unique.
Great to hear. Did your car come optioned with it or did you add it after the fact? If so, where did you source it from? I see it on bmwpartpros.com for $2,150, which is the lowest I’ve found.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #18
JackieChiles
Second Lieutenant
JackieChiles's Avatar
51
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Great to hear. Did your car come optioned with it or did you add it after the fact? If so, where did you source it from? I see it on bmwpartpros.com for $2,150, which is the lowest I’ve found.
Bought it used for 1000, in great condition

They are often available in the for sale section and it’s an easy install.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST