BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
brauheist2007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Honda Luxury vs. BMW Luxury

There really is something to be said about the quality that goes into a BMW... heres my story:

I'm in the military and stationed over here in Japan.... one of the first things you do is buy a car because although Japan has a great mass transit system you still need a car. So being that I enjoy luxury I went out and bought a Japanese spec used Honda Legend (loaded top model). It's nice, it has all of the creature comforts and a great ergonomic feel to it.

2 weeks after having bought the car the ignition seizes on me on a base that's aways from my own. Honda cannot come onto base to tow the vehicle and the base auto shop wont tow the vehicle off of base to the Honda dealership. Great!

So I decide to rip the ignition apart and basically 'jack' my own car.....and I do...with ease. The metal casing for the tumbler itself was made of some type of pot metal or aluminum....I pried it apart with a screwdriver. Once the cover was off the only thing that kept me from pulling the electrical back off was a small plastic pin which I just broke right off. I started that car....and now I just use a screwdriver whenever I need to go anywhere.

Last week a buddy of mine had a used japanese spec 3 series that someone tried to break into (on base...go figure.) They jimmied the door lock...but when they got to the ignition they couldn't get the thing apart. And did they ever try! They left all of their tools (must've been scared off)....they had a hack saw, dremel tool, dewalt with a full index of bits and one of those pullers. You could see where they had scored the metal from trying to get it apart but to no avail.

So my point is....luxury is luxury. But BMW luxury is a step above, not just in creature comforts and ergonomics.....but in build quality and materials used. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

wow, thats an awesome story! great to know that the bimmer could pretty much say 'gtfo' to the thief
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Sorry. The vanilla 3-series leather sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Where does the luxury part come into play in your story?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
Where does the luxury part come into play in your story?
I was wondering the same thing but didnt say anything....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Sorry. The vanilla 3-series leather sucks.
Yes the leather on the 3 series does suck. "Bull leather" is what i call it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
Yes the leather on the 3 series does suck. "Bull leather" is what i call it.
Heh, I imagine BMW taking the leather and boiling it on a stove... that's why it's all grainy and hard
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Heh, I imagine BMW taking the leather and boiling it on a stove... that's why it's all grainy and hard

I am satisfied with my 335i and I don't really mind the interior but it is not up to the standards of a Lexus or an Audi interior. I don't realy mind the Dakota Leather (which could be characterized as "imitation vinyl") all that much but I really don't care for that cheap contact paper looking stuff that the dash is covered with. That being said I guess I don't mind it all that much because i bought a BMW, not a Lexus or an Audi.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0