BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Unhappy BS Oil Report came bad

Can someone tell me what I need to do to make sure engine stays healthy and does not get blown?

From report below, BS are saying excessive wear on all metal for 3K on oil only! and could be a problem but I am not sure what the problem is.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Oil_Report_08_e90_M3.pdf (30.8 KB, 159 views)
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
Can someone tell me what I need to do to make sure engine stays healthy and does not get blown?

From report below, BS are saying excessive wear on all metal for 3K on oil only! and could be a problem but I am not sure what the problem is.

Yikes, those are definitely high numbers. The fact that you have high aluminum, iron, and lead indicates a lot of wear is taking place.

Do you have any history on this car & engine?
      07-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Yikes, those are definitely high numbers. The fact that you have high aluminum, iron, and lead indicates a lot of wear is taking place.

Do you have any history on this car & engine?
No I don't unfortunately, I bought it from a local seller who he is also a member. He told me he never abused the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I don't unfortunately, I bought it from a local seller who he is also a member. He told me he never abused the car.
So you bought a car with no maintenance or service history?

Take the key to the service department at your dealer and ask for a "key read". This will spit out a list of the car's entire maintenance history, such as oil changes and warranty claims.
      07-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:

Your Blackstone oil report looks pretty bad !
The car is a 08 . Mileage ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So you bought a car with no maintenance or service history?

Take the key to the service department at your dealer and ask for a "key read". This will spit out a list of the car's entire maintenance history, such as oil changes and warranty claims.
Sorry but do you think every single person buys a car with full service and maintenance history?

I did a PPI on car and result came out great. Of course they didn't do engine health check but I also don't think There is no shop would do oil analysis on spot.

I thought dealer wont give vehicle read out unless you are first owner of the car. I have tried it before with my other BMWs but never was able to get it
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Your Blackstone oil report looks pretty bad !
The car is a 08 . Mileage ?
Almost 100K
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Sorry but do you think every single person buys a car with full service and maintenance history?

I did a PPI on car and result came out great. Of course they didn't do engine health check but I also don't think There is no shop would do oil analysis on spot.

I thought dealer wont give vehicle read out unless you are first owner of the car. I have tried it before with my other BMWs but never was able to get it
Highly depends on SA. At a minimum they can verbally tell you what was done and what issues there are. They may not show you the actual screen and or give a printout but there is no exposing prior consumer data with verbalizing past issues and history.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I understand that as a car gets older and changes hands it can be difficult to have a full service history, but I was trying to understand if you had any information. Your post made it sound like you knew nothing about the car when you bought it. Again, it is way easier for people to help if they don't have to play 20 questions. Your original post just said that it's an 08, 3k on the oil, 100k on the odometer. That's very vague.

When I was M3 shopping, I didn't really have any issues getting those cars' service histories. My local dealer of course would not turn over the owner's name or anything like that, but they did pull the history and spin the computer monitor around to show me what I needed to know. My point is that you are now the owner so you can definitely get a key read to try and backtrack on the car's history. It will give some clue to how the car was maintained.

The car is an 08 with 100k and showing high wear metals in its first oil analysis: red flag for excess engine wear, probably in the bearings. I would pull an oil sample after another 1,000 miles and see if it shows high wear metals again. This will help us rule out if it was just a fluke (particle streaking or some other weird contamination).

Last edited by dparm; 07-11-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I understand that as a car gets older and changes hands it can be difficult to have a full service history, but I was trying to understand if you had any information. Your post made it sound like you knew nothing about the car when you bought it. Again, it is way easier for people to help if they don't have to play 20 questions. Your original post just said that it's an 08, 3k on the oil, 100k on the odometer. That's very vague.

When I was M3 shopping, I didn't really have any issues getting those cars' service histories. My local dealer of course would not turn over the owner's name or anything like that, but they did pull the history and spin the computer monitor around to show me what I needed to know. My point is that you are now the owner so you can definitely get a key read to try and backtrack on the car's history. It will give some clue to how the car was maintained.

The car is an 08 with 100k and showing high wear metals in its first oil analysis: red flag for excess engine wear, probably in the bearings. I would pull an oil sample after another 1,000 miles and see if it shows high wear metals again. This will help us rule out if it was just a fluke (particle streaking or some other weird contamination).
Understood. I will take your advice and go from there. I am also going to talk to seller to see if I can get more info
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

If it has 100k I would start with rod bearing replacement... regardless of whether you believe there's a specific issue with S65s and rod bearings, high revving engines benefit from 100k intervals for rod bearings
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Almost 100K
100K miles in combination with your bad Blackstone report requires a bearing replacement ASAP.
Meanwhile I wouldn't drive it like that to avoid further damage (precaution !)

I'm pretty sure you know the list (and the number) in the blown engines thread as well...

Note: *PRECAUTION* is the keyword in my statement .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Understood. I will take your advice and go from there. I am also going to talk to seller to see if I can get more info
You can try to talk with the previous owner . On the other hand it's useless because we saw bearing failures in 2013 with only 6K , 9K , ect.. miles on it .

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
If it has 100k I would start with rod bearing replacement... regardless of whether you believe there's a specific issue with S65s and rod bearings, high revving engines benefit from 100k intervals for rod bearings
I am scheduling to do that right now but my question was not only regarding rod bearings.

What about the other metal shown in the report? BS saying excessive wear? What can I do to prevent further excessive wear or what would be causing it?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am scheduling to do that right now but my question was not only regarding rod bearings.

What about the other metal shown in the report? BS saying excessive wear? What can I do to prevent further excessive wear or what would be causing it?
One data point does not constitute a trend. I would highly consider rod bearing changes ASAP and then do another oil change. If that’s not in the cards, change your oil and do another check in about 3K-5k Miles.

Have you changed the oil since you bought the car? First BS report?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
One data point does not constitute a trend. I would highly consider rod bearing changes ASAP and then do another oil change. If that’s not in the cards, change your oil and do another check in about 3K-5k Miles.

Bingo. This is why I said to pull a sample after another 1-2k and see if the wear metals are still high.
      07-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #17
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:

oil has only 3K on it. I wasn't planning to do oil change now until I reach 5k on it
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
oil has only 3K on it. I wasn't planning to do oil change now until I reach 5k on it
You may want to pull a sample of that oil and send off. Take the oil from the filter reservoir so you don't drain it all. Peace of mind and can tell you what direction to take.

Use a 99 cent store turkey baster and suck up after you let it cool for about 5 mins.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #19
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You may want to pull a sample of that oil and send off. Take the oil from the filter reservoir so you don't drain it all. Peace of mind and can tell you what direction to take.

Use a 99 cent store turkey baster and suck up after you let it cool for about 5 mins.
I think you miss understood me. The report above is from recent sample I took just last week when oil had 3K on engine. I didn't drain oil from engine to take the sample.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think you miss understood me. The report above is from recent sample I took just last week when oil had 3K on engine. I didn't drain oil from engine to take the sample.
That could be an issue on its own.
Do the oil change from the bottom drain. Let it pour out a bit and then capture the sample mid stream. You could be getting a lot of foreign debris from the top filter sample.

Whether you wait until you hit 5K or not is up to your comfort level of risk. Not saying the sky is going to fall but if you have that much metal in your oil, who knows what the prior conditions were on the vehicle and what condition your rod bearings are in.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #21
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
100K miles in combination with your bad Blackstone report requires a bearing replacement ASAP.
Meanwhile I wouldn't drive it like that to avoid further damage (precaution !)

I'm pretty sure you know the list (and the number) in the blown engines thread as well...

Note: *PRECAUTION* is the keyword in my statement .
agreed, if i'm in your shoe i'd replace the RB now just to have able to sleep through the night...
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #22
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

I'd add that I would typically refrain from pulling a top sample unless I know the history of the prior oil change/s. That's why BS does not recommend it or recommend taking the first pour sample.
Appreciate 0