BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #23
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkman720 View Post
Here is mine using this mic :http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...item/SP-BMC-21

Its really 2 modified ATR3350 (didnt know when I purchased it), so I wouldnt really suggest it.

Both mics mounted in the trunk. Going to mount one in the engine bay and one in the trunk next time around.

I'm liking how this sounds a LOT. Where in the trunk did you mount it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
jkman510
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara View Post
I'm liking how this sounds a LOT. Where in the trunk did you mount it?

They are clipped onto the top of the lining on the sides. I just made sure the clips/mic wouldnt vibrate/rub against anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Damn it! forgot to turn on the mic in the best session.
I attached the Audio-Technica ATR-3350 in rear bumper for today's session, and in the 4th session, i forgot to turn on the mic. I looked at the videos of couple other sessions, they had amazing sound. i might get another one for the iphone to use it with HTL. currently mine is hooked up to gopro2

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #26
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Damn it! forgot to turn on the mic in the best session.
I attached the Audio-Technica ATR-3350 in rear bumper for today's session, and in the 4th session, i forgot to turn on the mic. I looked at the videos of couple other sessions, they had amazing sound. i might get another one for the iphone to use it with HTL. currently mine is hooked up to gopro2
lets see the video!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #27
besiktas
United_States
Rep

soon, uploading a 3gb gopro file to youtube is a pain in the ass. so probably by the end of the week, i will have them ready and post the link

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Here is a video of my track session on VIR using the Audio Technica 3350 with gopro2

The mic is located at the center of the rear bumper. i will try the licence plate area next time.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #29
JZBE92
I poop at work to save money on toilet paper.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SOLD, FR-S Monogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Yep, got my GoPro mounted below the front bumper and the sound is awesome. Augments my Contour cam mounted to the side window.

But, if I were to use one cam only, and wanted to position it to see my hands, then yeah, these mic's would come in handy.
How do you mount it under your bumper? Aren't you afraid of a big unexpected dip or pothole and losing your go pro?
2012 JZB E92 M3 Coupe. DCT/ZCP. Paint Match IND Cosmetic Package, Arkym Bumper, Verstrabe Paddles, LUX Angel Eyes, Vorsteiner double sided CF CSL trunk lid, Evolve Valve Exhaust, 19x9.5 et 21, 19x10.5 et 22 TE37 SL Pressed Graphite
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Here is a video of my track session on VIR using the Audio Technica 3350 with gopro2

The mic is located at the center of the rear bumper. i will try the licence plate area next time.
Sound great! What exhaust setup are you running?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #31
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Everything is stock, the only mods i have in the car is the Performance Friction brake pads hence you hear the crazy brake squeal sound.

After taking the car to track i realized the exhaust sounds much better afterward. I guess it expands due to constant high temperature exhaust coming out and resulting in a stronger sound.

if you go to the youtube channel of that video, you can find periods of cold start and idling while waiting in the line.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #32
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZBE92 View Post
How do you mount it under your bumper? Aren't you afraid of a big unexpected dip or pothole and losing your go pro?
Turns out, there is a benefit (other than avoiding tickets) to having the front license plate frame mounted...
Attached Images

BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #33
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Picks up the engine sound pretty good...

(this is a little clip from a very high-speed track, where my then-stock brakes just didn't cut it at a particular corner - hence the title "OC3 needs BBK")

Last edited by OC3; 08-31-2012 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Jean View Post
Here is a video taken with the Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone (~$25). It comes with a 20 foot long cable that I routed from my front grille all the way to my trunk. I'm using a GoPro Hero2 attached to a bracket on my front license plate holder.

For normal street driving, I simply leave the microphone in the trunk and the connector hidden inside the front grille. When I'm at the track, I mount the GoPro on the front bracket, hook-up the connector and run the cable out of the trunk and tape the mic inside the rear bumber via the tow hook hole. I lost the foam that came with it so the video is using the mic with nothing to reduce wind noise. It probably would be even better if I put something on the mic for the wind noise.

For ~$25 and some labor to route and hide the cable, I'm pretty happy with the results...

What app or data acquisition are you using for this video?

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #35
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
what tape are you using to hold it down on the bumper and are you lining the wire up outside of the car or inside?

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
Ti-Jean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3IfYouCan181 View Post
I'm using my Android Samsung Galaxy S II running Trackmaster app. More info here:
http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome

To improve accuracy, I'm also using an external Bluetooth GPS receiver; Qstarz BT-Q818X. More info here:
http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...BT-Q818X-F.htm

Finally, to overlay my GoPro video and data from Trackmaster, I'm using Dashware. More info here:
http://www.dashware.net/

This is a fairly inexpensive setup and works well for the occasional trip to the track. My only complain so far is that the G force data is sometime not that reliable. Not a big issue and this could be a problem with my phone and not the app itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3IfYouCan181 View Post
what tape are you using to hold it down on the bumper and are you lining the wire up outside of the car or inside?
I ran the mic wire from inside the trunk all the way to the front grill going inside the car. If I remember correctly, I had to remove the back seats (pretty easy to do) and the sill trim at both rear and front door (also pretty easy). The only difficult part is to go through the firewall between the front footwell area and the engine bay. I followed the instructions provided by EAS to get the wire from the passenger footwell over to the DME box. Here is the link to the instructions:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329420

Once the wire is in the engine bay, you can simply run it on the edge using zip ties all the way to the front grill. The mic wire was not quite long enough to make the whole run so I bought an 8' feet extension and made the connection inside the DME box.

I store the mic in the trunk for normal DD driving. When I go the the track, I run the mic wire out of the trunk and tape it inside the tow hook hole using regular painter's tape.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Jean View Post
I'm using my Android Samsung Galaxy S II running Trackmaster app. More info here:
http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome

To improve accuracy, I'm also using an external Bluetooth GPS receiver; Qstarz BT-Q818X. More info here:
http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...BT-Q818X-F.htm

Finally, to overlay my GoPro video and data from Trackmaster, I'm using Dashware. More info here:
http://www.dashware.net/

This is a fairly inexpensive setup and works well for the occasional trip to the track. My only complain so far is that the G force data is sometime not that reliable. Not a big issue and this could be a problem with my phone and not the app itself.

I ran the mic wire from inside the trunk all the way to the front grill going inside the car. If I remember correctly, I had to remove the back seats (pretty easy to do) and the sill trim at both rear and front door (also pretty easy). The only difficult part is to go through the firewall between the front footwell area and the engine bay. I followed the instructions provided by EAS to get the wire from the passenger footwell over to the DME box. Here is the link to the instructions:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329420

Once the wire is in the engine bay, you can simply run it on the edge using zip ties all the way to the front grill. The mic wire was not quite long enough to make the whole run so I bought an 8' feet extension and made the connection inside the DME box.

I store the mic in the trunk for normal DD driving. When I go the the track, I run the mic wire out of the trunk and tape it inside the tow hook hole using regular painter's tape.
thanks, i'll try this for this weekend

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #38
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Turns out, there is a benefit (other than avoiding tickets) to having the front license plate frame mounted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkman720 View Post
They are clipped onto the top of the lining on the sides. I just made sure the clips/mic wouldnt vibrate/rub against anything.
What mount/case do you use for the GoPro when using the external mic? I am assuming the skeleton mount is the one to buy so you can plug in the mic adapter? I dont really want to use the camera with the frame mount outside the car. GoPro really gets you with all of these different mounts and accessories
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #39
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
What mount/case do you use for the GoPro when using the external mic? I am assuming the skeleton mount is the one to buy so you can plug in the mic adapter? I dont really want to use the camera with the frame mount outside the car. GoPro really gets you with all of these different mounts and accessories
You can buy the skeleton housing, or use a tool like dremmel to cut out an opening on the side of the housing.

Yea, if you mount the cam outside the car, the housing, the lens cover, etc, really takes beating. On the GoPro (original model, not Hero 2 or 3) I've been using on the front bumper, I've changed the lens cover 3 times so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #40
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Not as fast as oc3 but i have the cam mic setup of a pro!!

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #41
besiktas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
for gopro, I used a camera mount that attaches to the headrest. it places the gopro right between the two seats and gives great angle. you have to use the skeleton housing to attach the mic. I taped the mic on the rear bumper between the exhausts.i used painters tape to avoid damaging paint.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #42
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Color me stupid, but how are you recording the audio from the ATR-3350? I double checked, my HERO3 does not have a 3.5mm pickup/"headphone jack". Are you all using an independent audio recorder, and syncing the audio up with the go-pro video after the fact? Or is there a 3.5mm receiver-adaptor that can plug into the Go-Pro's mini HDMI port?
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #43
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Older Go Pros have a 3.5mm jack.
I use an adaptor so I can use this with my iphone 5 as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #44
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Color me stupid, but how are you recording the audio from the ATR-3350? I double checked, my HERO3 does not have a 3.5mm pickup/"headphone jack". Are you all using an independent audio recorder, and syncing the audio up with the go-pro video after the fact? Or is there a 3.5mm receiver-adaptor that can plug into the Go-Pro's mini HDMI port?
its a mini usb to 3.5mm jack adapter.....accessories make money so lets force them to buy more accessories! be careful with the mini usb port though and do not unplug anything at any sort of angle...mine broke already and had to be warrantied.
Appreciate 0