BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #23
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440hpe46 View Post
In regards to reliability...The small block Chevy V8, and it's derivatives, are as reliable as anything that Germany puts out...no matter the manufacturer...and I would venture to say even more so...they have been building the engine for 50+ years...

Now overall quality compared to BMW (Merc is low in quality and long term reliability) is another subject...
I'll have to take your word for it. I had a GM when I started driving and it was by far the worst car I have ever owned. Sometimes I wonder if the labor unions are going to finally kill the american car manufacturer. It is incredible to me that sometimes it is more cost effective for Ford/GM/Chrystler to build more cars than are needed than to close down a line because of the protection labor unions give their workers. So I always wonder if a combination of the job security (tied to union contract and not quality work) and overall work ethic is the reason why American cars have so many issues in general (I know there are exceptions).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #24
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
I'll have to take your word for it. I had a GM when I started driving and it was by far the worst car I have ever owned. Sometimes I wonder if the labor unions are going to finally kill the american car manufacturer. It is incredible to me that sometimes it is more cost effective for Ford/GM/Chrystler to build more cars than are needed than to close down a line because of the protection labor unions give their workers. So I always wonder if a combination of the job security (tied to union contract and not quality work) and overall work ethic is the reason why American cars have so many issues in general (I know there are exceptions).
I would agree that the quality of GM products were deplorable in the 80's and early 90's. I don't believe that is the case any longer. Cadillac (as a brand) has always been in the top echelon when it comes to initial quality and reliability according to Consumer Reports.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #25
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 G83; '23 M850i

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
My wife is looking at a CTS so of course I need to sway her to the V. I just found Nurburgring time was 7:59:32
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

CTSv is the beast, but with unknown pricing at this point. I will be interested to see if this thing starts under $69k. No doubt it is a good deal at such a price.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #27
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
It will start at 70k for sure. It's going to make BMW worry with it's current M5 pricing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 02:47 AM   #28
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440hpe46 View Post
In regards to reliability...The small block Chevy V8, and it's derivatives, are as reliable as anything that Germany puts out...no matter the manufacturer...and I would venture to say even more so...they have been building the engine for 50+ years...

Now overall quality compared to BMW (Merc is low in quality and long term reliability) is another subject...
The American V8s are more reliable for sure.

It is the fit and finish of American cars that blow.

The CTS-V is a beast and looks to have stepped up the interior finish too.

New Quality Report, BMW below average and I believe it.
http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/06/04...year-straight/
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #29
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
The American V8s are more reliable for sure.

It is the fit and finish of American cars that blow.

The CTS-V is a beast and looks to have stepped up the interior finish too.

New Quality Report, BMW below average and I believe it.
http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/06/04...year-straight/
I completely agree, the finish of 99.9% of American cars do not compare to the Euro's...

I would say that GM is the exception, the finish on the Vettes and Cadillacs are far ahead of any other American manufacturer...and GM as a whole seems to be heading in the right direction...

If someone hasn't seen the interior of the new CTS in person, they should. IMHO, it definitely gives the 3 and 5 series a run for their money...and the exterior and interior design is light years ahead of it's predecessor...

The JD Power study only includes the first 90 day period, with quite a few subjective categories (read dislike of IDrive)...I would think it safe to assume that BMW will still be highly regarded in terms of overall, long term quality and reliability...

I would also say that there is a good chance that BMW is low in the initial quality study because of the constant and consistent issues with the HPFP and issues with the N54...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #30
BMW-videos.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m5, heavily modded c6 corv

The CTS-V is awesome looking in real life.

Small block v8 is one if not the most reliable engine.

A lot of the fancy features are old american ideas. Ex. limitd slip diffs, displacement on demand, SLA/Wishbone suspenson, V8's, V16's, Automatic transmissons. What's the first car with a Heads up display, a 1988 cutlass supreme oldsmobile? DERR. Did you know the technology powering the hybrid prius is, well AMERICAN (everyone forgets the ev1 electric car). Or that the magnetic ride suspension licensed to ferrari for their flagship 599 is, well AMERICAN (delphi). Alot of that fancy electronical stuff , DIC etc, is old /DELPHI technology, the electronic supplier for GM. DELPHI has alwas been ahead of its time, think again.Ever thought that the macpherson strut in your bmw is named after a GM/FORD engineer? THat the first macpherson strut, although the man himself was a brit, was in a 1940's FORD? Did you know those shitty pushrod american engines, yes produce less power per liter, but are physically and significantly SMALLER and LIGTHER than their DOHC counterparts?

Yeah, the M5 is not even close to one of the first cars to have an "m" like feature. You can trace back such features to american cars in what, the 20's and 30's?

GM has struggled due to the unions, but hotdamn have some respect for domestic products. The comeback isn't TOO far, and GM is upping the ant on fit and finish.

Either way I do love my m5, but I also love my modded C6 Corvette. I tend to get more smiles from that simple, brutal american stuff :P To each his own, every manufacturer i'm sure has brought something great to the table.

Last edited by BMW-videos.com; 07-07-2008 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #31
AuPanda
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40

"the official figures are out — 556 HP at 6,100 RPM and 551 lb-ft of torque at 3,800 RPM. With those bitchin' numbers, the CTS-V will be doing 0-60 MPH in a lightning fast 3.9 seconds, with a standing quarter mile coming in at 12 seconds flat."

http://jalopnik.com/395504/2009-cadi...al-gets-556-hp

Two dealers I checked with in LA said the car would start at $62,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #32
BMW-videos.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m5, heavily modded c6 corv

hotdamn that's a lot of power.
Appreciate 0