BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

EXXEL Distributions

01-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
leeyawn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04' CRV - 380k Miles and going

Pricing

Hello,

New to the forum, been looking to buy an e9x. Trying to see how the prices are and what everyone thinks is a fair price?

Example, am i looking to spend 25k for an e9x with around 60k - 70k miles without the RB being done? I guess im just trying to get a feel on the prices so i know how much i should negotiate.

Thanks for all the help
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I think your #'s are in alignment, generally speaking.

It's going to depend on a number of different factors, obviously - model (sedan, coupe, vert), transmission, options/packages, condition, miles, etc. For example, a 6MT E90 in good condition with 60K miles will likely command more than $25K, especially if it's a desirable color combo, slicktop (no moonroof), ZCP (competition package), etc. Contrary, a DCT E92 can be found for $25K or less, those are the most common E9x built.

There's not much selection in Seattle, and prices are inflated here just like everything else, so I'd recommend searching wide and far, even nationwide. My last 3 BMW's, including my E90 M3, came from out of state.

Good luck, and have fun w/ the search
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
leeyawn
Private First Class
Rep

Got it, I recently looked at a 2011 AW/FR e92 DCT this weekend and it currently had 82k miles on it. Though it was the competition package he had given away the comp wheels and had the normal m wheels. It had no RB or DCT service done and was asking about $25k. Id say the interior of the car was around 8.5/10 and the exterior would be a 9/10 with two slight door dings. What do you believe a fair price for the given vehicle?

I gave an offer but wasn't in a hurry to hop on his counter offer since I knew id regret buying an e92 over an e90
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Jiggz covered it! Decide the year, model, option package you want and then go from there.

Don't pay Seattle area prices if you don't mind buying out of state.
      01-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

To put things in perspective, it took me a couple months to find the car I wanted and it ended up being in Maryland. That price point is attainable for sure but you will have to be patient.

I paid 35k for 2011 E92 6MT ZCP with 52k mi on the clock, with some carbon bits and exhaust already added this was ~6 month ago. Interior was mint exterior had a couple small dings. RB not done.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
leeyawn
Private First Class
Rep

CjM3 I wouldnt mind buying out of state either! Definitely will be more patient Im trying to stop myself with buying on a whim. Did you fly down to look at the vehicle and watched them load it up or did you just trust the seller? How much did you end up paying for shipping from Maryland?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
Mpow-wow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 2008 X3

I paid $18k shipped for IB 2008 E92, DCT, EDC, cold weather, non I drive, with 93k. Not perfect, but definitely not beat up.

I found it on Memphis Craigslist and had it shipped to Spokane, Wa for $18k for everything. This was almost a year ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #8
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeyawn View Post
CjM3 I wouldnt mind buying out of state either! Definitely will be more patient Im trying to stop myself with buying on a whim. Did you fly down to look at the vehicle and watched them load it up or did you just trust the seller? How much did you end up paying for shipping from Maryland?
I paid ~1300 to ship it enclosed iirc, it was at a BMW dealership so I put some faith in the pictures and report they gave me. I would recommend if buying out of state from anywhere to get it inspected at least prior to purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:36 AM   #9
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

I bought my '12 E92 on BAT last year. They have a regular rotation of E9x, a recent one with FI just passed when reserve was not met. Although mine had a ton of pictures, I still had two issues that could not be seen in the photos (tires dry rotted inside treads and fogged headlight). After lengthy and hearty complaining to BAT, they sent me a check to reimburse some of the cost for new parts. Lots of people have good experience on BAT, I just had a rare hiccup so I'm told. The good thing about BAT is the chance to see typically well cared-for and documented cars. The thing to watch for are dealers who are sometimes just passing along the history of a car they perhaps bought at auction and don't truly know the vehicle as the owner would.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #10
axe_handle
Rep
Drives: '02 330ci; '12 e92 M3 ZCP

In November I paid $32k delivered from Carvana for a '12 Space Grey e92 DCT ZCP slick top with 58k miles, no RB, but the throttle actuators had been done. Condition Ex/Int is 9.5/10 and it came with M performance steering wheel, spoiler and splitters. It also came with a mechanical warranty for $4k, which I used to resolve a DTC leak that saved me $2k. I feel that I paid mid-market for my car. Getting exactly what I wanted was more important to me than paying the lowest possible price. These cars can be super expensive to fix if not well maintained, and I think that drives much of the huge variation in pricing out there.

I struggled with the Seattle area inventory. I agree with jiggz: figure out exactly what you want, and if you can be patient, look nationally.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
leeyawn
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah Seattle is looking slim. Since im searching for an e90 ill be most likely looking for a 2011 model in AW/FR in DCT w/ ZCP, iDrive, and etc. hopefully around 70k - 80K miles on the clock. Do you know what the market price are for those right now? Im assuming ill have to spend around 25k - 26k.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeyawn View Post
Yeah Seattle is looking slim. Since im searching for an e90 ill be most likely looking for a 2011 model in AW/FR in DCT w/ ZCP, iDrive, and etc. hopefully around 70k - 80K miles on the clock. Do you know what the market price are for those right now? Im assuming ill have to spend around 25k - 26k.
Again, I think you're right in the ballpark. Still, price could be higher/lower than $25K-$26K depending on the factors I mentioned above. An AW/FR E90 6MT is a very popular configuration - if it's in good condition, has full maintenance records, maybe it's ZCP, has rod bearings done, it's stock/not modified, etc., you should expect to pay more than $25K, especially if you find it here in Seattle.

Another word of advice. If you're serious about buying a specific spec like this, I would search daily (nationwide), and I would have $ lined up and be ready to pull the trigger almost immediately. Probably best to put $ down and have a PPI done, but still, the nicer examples that hit the market sell very quickly, you likely won't have the luxury of time to 'sleep on it' for several days and mull it over. Just my .02.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #13
leeyawn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Again, I think you're right in the ballpark. Still, price could be higher/lower than $25K-$26K depending on the factors I mentioned above. An AW/FR E90 6MT is a very popular configuration - if it's in good condition, has full maintenance records, maybe it's ZCP, has rod bearings done, it's stock/not modified, etc., you should expect to pay more than $25K, especially if you find it here in Seattle.

Another word of advice. If you're serious about buying a specific spec like this, I would search daily (nationwide), and I would have $ lined up and be ready to pull the trigger almost immediately. Probably best to put $ down and have a PPI done, but still, the nicer examples that hit the market sell very quickly, you likely won't have the luxury of time to 'sleep on it' for several days and mull it over. Just my .02.
Thanks for the help. Yeah Im just trying to get the pricing down, Im 100% ready to buy whenever but Im just new to the market and dont want to "over pay". I dont mind paying the real market value for the car im searching for.

Thats what ive been doing been using Tempest and just checking the full market forum on here. Theres an e90 with a few mods but had RB/oilpan gasket/ motor mounts done but is priced around 25k at 99k miles. So i guess to me the price for that vehicle is "higher" than normal because of the mods, maintenance and its in CA? Would you consider that "fair value"? Are CA prices also inflated?

Sorry if im asking so many questions....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #14
axe_handle
Rep
Drives: '02 330ci; '12 e92 M3 ZCP

Also depends if it is a private sale or being offered by a dealership of some kind. I would expect to pay $2-5k less for a private sale. Without knowing how the particular car is optioned, it is difficult to accurately establish a value. Kbb.com was helpful for me to establish some baselines around where the market is.

Also, given that you are looking for an e90 the last year of production, you are going struggle with availability. The concept of "fair price" is highly subjective as transaction volume declines. If you have strong opinions about the configuration you are after, I think you have to be less concerned with what a "fair price" is and more concerned with what is fair to you. When an example becomes available that is in your target range of milage/price/condition/options I think you buy it because it could be a rather long wait until the next one.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think one buys an M car because they are attempting to maximize financial return in the short run. What is your time horizon for purchase, how long do you plan on owning it, and what are your goals for the ultimate sale of the car? My personal expectations for my car are that it will be fun to own/drive, but definitely not inexpensive.

I would wait until one becomes available that speaks to you. When that happens, you will know what to do. Until then, enjoy the hunt and the learning that occurs in that process. Again: think fair price to you. No one needs an M3. Well maybe not until they own one.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #15
leeyawn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_handle View Post
Also depends if it is a private sale or being offered by a dealership of some kind. I would expect to pay $2-5k less for a private sale. Without knowing how the particular car is optioned, it is difficult to accurately establish a value. Kbb.com was helpful for me to establish some baselines around where the market is.

Also, given that you are looking for an e90 the last year of production, you are going struggle with availability. The concept of "fair price" is highly subjective as transaction volume declines. If you have strong opinions about the configuration you are after, I think you have to be less concerned with what a "fair price" is and more concerned with what is fair to you. When an example becomes available that is in your target range of milage/price/condition/options I think you buy it because it could be a rather long wait until the next one.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think one buys an M car because they are attempting to maximize financial return in the short run. What is your time horizon for purchase, how long do you plan on owning it, and what are your goals for the ultimate sale of the car? My personal expectations for my car are that it will be fun to own/drive, but definitely not inexpensive.

I would wait until one becomes available that speaks to you. When that happens, you will know what to do. Until then, enjoy the hunt and the learning that occurs in that process. Again: think fair price to you. No one needs an M3. Well maybe not until they own one.
I guess that makes sense. I do plan on keeping it for a while since it will just be a second car for me. I was actually originally going to look for a c63 w204 model but it didnt feel right and found the m3 more of a drivers car. Hopefully I can find the right one! Summer is just right around the corner
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:13 PM   #16
andybui82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I paid 43 for my 2013 zcp in April 19. 18k miles dct with speed cloth.
      01-27-2020, 10:27 PM   #17
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Sheesh I've been out of the market for too long!!

An E90 ZCP with 70k miles selling for $25k?!!! I'll buy another one!!
      01-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #18
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Too add to this, when I was shopping around I found a car that was perfect. It was listed a couple hours before I found the post. Contacted the owner about getting a PPI setup and an hour later the he had a cashiers check being mailed to him sight unseen for his asking price from someone else. The right cars go fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjM3 View Post
Too add to this, when I was shopping around I found a car that was perfect. It was listed a couple hours before I found the post. Contacted the owner about getting a PPI setup and an hour later the he had a cashiers check being mailed to him sight unseen for his asking price from someone else. The right cars go fast.
I'm not surprised - hopefully the one you ended up buying was just a nice

I inquired on mine the day it was posted and put a deposit down on the spot. As I waited for the dealer to clean it up/do their inspection which took a day or two, several people were in line behind me if I were to back out of the sale.

I see you're in Bothell - I'm next door in Kenmore (and actually, I'm just a block from Bothell, right on the Kenmore/Bothell line), perhaps I've seen your car around... what color is it? Stock/modified?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #20
CjM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm not surprised - hopefully the one you ended up buying was just a nice

I inquired on mine the day it was posted and put a deposit down on the spot. As I waited for the dealer to clean it up/do their inspection which took a day or two, several people were in line behind me if I were to back out of the sale.

I see you're in Bothell - I'm next door in Kenmore (and actually, I'm just a block from Bothell, right on the Kenmore/Bothell line), perhaps I've seen your car around... what color is it? Stock/modified?
I am in the Mill Creek area now, SG ZCP I got carbon diffuser/lip/roof. I would not be surprised if you have seen me around.
Appreciate 0