BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #1
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Help: Brembo 380mm scraping wheel

I just put a set of HRE P101s back on my car after having the FIs on there for some time. Both are 19 x 9.5/10.5 but there must be a difference with the inner barrels of both wheels because my brembos have started creating an incision-like groove in the rear wheels.

I took a look at the calipers and there is a small metal piece protruding that is millimetres away from the wheel and is quite clearly the culprit. But as the wheel is bolted in place and will move with the rotors when encountering a bump, I don't understand how this small piece is hitting the wheel.

Can anyone please provide guidance on how to rectify this issue? I would like to stay with the wheels I have on there.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Happening to both wheels? Also a pic would help
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Happening to both wheels? Also a pic would help
Yea both rear wheels. About to get home from work so I will post a pic of the piece that I think is causing it
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
You can see the small black point if you look carefully. It's ridiculously close to the barrel and I'm wondering if that's just an installation issue or if there's a way to maybe grind it down a little to increase the gap
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

That's weird. I have Brembo GT's on 19" ZE40 there's tons of clearance. Some 18s even clear Brembo GT, I've never heard of 19s not clearing.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
That's weird. I have Brembo GT's on 19" ZE40 there's tons of clearance. Some 18s even clear Brembo GT, I've never heard of 19s not clearing.
Yea it's weird. A friend told me that it's the head of the caliper bolt attaching the caliper to the bracket. A look at google definitely supports that so I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the bolt with one that has a smaller head thus providing additional clearance. An alternative would be shaving the head down but my friend also said that it could be unsafe to alter a critical brake component.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
chitosss
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
Quote:
Yea it's weird. A friend told me that it's the head of the caliper bolt attaching the caliper to the bracket. A look at google definitely supports that so I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the bolt with one that has a smaller head thus providing additional clearance. An alternative would be shaving the head down but my friend also said that it could be unsafe to alter a critical brake component.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. A friend of mine had the same issue. He ended up getting the bolt with smaller head and it fitted perfectly. What I heard from him was that US version of these Brembo GTs come with larger head. Attached the picture shows the difference between these two bolts for your reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dparm3849.50
      11-04-2018, 01:19 AM   #8
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitosss View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. A friend of mine had the same issue. He ended up getting the bolt with smaller head and it fitted perfectly. What I heard from him was that US version of these Brembo GTs come with larger head. Attached the picture shows the difference between these two bolts for your reference.
Thanks for that, do you happen to know where he sourced the smaller bolts?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #9
chitosss
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
he bought it at a local hardware store. If I remember correctly, he had a few extra bolts as he was thinking about grinding it. I can ask him where he sourced or is willing to sell to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
he bought it at a local hardware store. If I remember correctly, he had a few extra bolts as he was thinking about grinding it. I can ask him where he sourced or is willing to sell to you.
Cheers man, let me know
Appreciate 0