BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

10-04-2018, 02:17 AM   #1
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Post KW Clubsport Findings ; Then & Now : A Case Study

*Preface* Thread may be a long read, but informative. Have been compiling this data for comparison of my own. Now that I’ve reached the 3/4 mark, figure some may interest other members.

Made the move to KW 2way CLUBSPORT’s roughly 10k miles ago. Was hesitant. Didn’t want bone jarring suspension, and didn’t know how much I would be tracking the car to justify them. What I did know was that the jump to sticky R-Comp tires, were not playing nicely with progressive spring + oem top hat KWV3’ setup on the car. The V3 felt over-matched during spirited driving, and 1 step behind the grip/feedback tires were providing. It was then I decided to purchase and install the KW Clubsport 2way.

This is not a review thread. There are plenty of those ; but in short, I am very pleased. The Clubsports are far more substantial, and of a different quality build. Immediately noticeable when opening the box. KW did a good job on these. Post install, set at factory settings, dampening/and ride height it all clicked. They were great! Not jarring as I expected. A perfect pairing with sticky tires. The car was no longer being pushed around by the grip of the tires, instead working together.

Fast FWD; Couple months, guys started swapping front springs of the KW Clubsports to shorter ones to raise the perches in order to accommodate wider front tires. Member, @Slicer compiled a lengthy thread filled with good info, I referenced many times. Wasn’t priority to me. Was happy with the staggered wheel sizes / tire offerings. The change wasn’t needed (for me personally).

Fast FWD; Couple more months, still content with the KW Clubsports performance and how car was driving. But had also come to conclusion, that certain great tire offerings; having limited sizes. Closest and most commonly front sized (275/35/18) would apparently make contact with the front spring of the KW Clubsport strut without use of a spacer. Frustrated by this and in need of new tires I started to dig deep. This is what I found ;

Sometime during the production of the KW Clubsport 2way, there was an unannounced spring change. Both front and rear springs changed rates from the original production rates. BTW: This is not listed/updated on their website. The only reason I was able to confirm was by reading the install book cover to cover / that was sent with the coilovers.

As per KW website:

KW Clubsport 2-Way - BMW M3 E92
Part #: 352 20 857

Front spring read as : 90-170* Rear spring read as : 140-200*
Front strut read as : 202 1024 Rear Strut read as : 202 1124

As per KW Documentation included in KW Clubsport Kit purchased :

KW Clubsport 2-Way - BMW M3 E92
Part #: 352 20 857

Front spring read as : 110-170* Rear spring read as : 120-220*
Front strut read as : 202 1024 Rear Strut read as : 202 1124

Further Documentation included in kit :

Front Axle

Pre Spring 10-60-80 Main Spring 110-170*

Wire Size 4 x 8 mm Wire Size 12 mm

Top —— Top ——
Outer Diameter Middle : 76mm Outer Diameter Middle : 86mm
Untensioned Height : 80mm Untensioned Height : 170mm
Number of coils : 5.2 Number of coils : 6.3

Spring cup seat (bottom)
Max. Diameter : 82mm
Min diameter : 52,5mm
Diameter rest : 61mm
Height : 24mm

Rear Axle

Pre Spring 20-60-80 Main Spring 120-220*

Wire Size 5 x 9 mm Wire Size 13.6 mm

Top —— Top ——
Outer Diameter Middle 80mm Outer Diameter Middle : 89mm
Untensioned Height 80mm Untensioned Height : 220mm
Number of coils 6 Number of coils : 7,75

Spring cup seat (top) Intermediate ring (middle)
Max. Diameter : 80mm Max. Diameter : 80mm
Min diameter :52,5mm Min diameter : 57mm
Diameter rest : 61mm Diameter rest : 61mm
Height : 28mm Height : 20mm

Spring cup seat (bottom)
Max. Diameter : 80mm
Min diameter : 57mm
Diameter rest : 61mm
Height : 12mm

By finally taking the time to compile and sift this data myself, it is clear to see the dampers remained unchanged - the springs did. The original front springs were rated ( 500lbs ) changed to ( 628lbs ). The original rear springs were rated ( 800lbs ) changed to ( 685lbs ) and were also given an extra 20mm in length.

The motive? One can only speculate. My guess, was to make the setup more street friendly. Therefore boosting product sales of the Clubsport line, that people early on shied away from in fear of a harsh ride (all just speculation). The exact reasons for the changes will be hard to conclude. All the technical/engineering stuff is handled overseas. Even after attempts to reach out to the tech side in Germany, I was relayed wrong information. Not a knock to KW, I get it. They’re a big company with offerings at many different price points, for many different applications. It’s possible at the KW Competition spec; you’d receive more 1 on 1 definitive answers.

Despite the confusion, and unanswered changes I have not given up on KW. The dampers are great, and I have yet to find their limits. Since solid mounting the rear subframe, the back end of the car has felt somewhat soft. Will be changing the rear springs out, to the original KW rear rates of (800lbs). Hopefully in theory, with some suspension fine tuning the car will be where I want. Ironically, through all of this research found the M3GTS uses the original (800lb) rate rear spring.

As I said, about 3/4 of way there. Will report back when I get some time to install the new rear springs. Beyond that, Ive still yet to really dial in any set rebound/compression settings. Guess that’s all preference for street and track driving but interested to know if any of you guys have “go-to” settings. Thanks all who read through this in it’s entirety. Hope the info values you in one way or another.

Appreciate 2
      10-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Yup, I recall this change back in the day.

The KW CS is a solid choice for a track suspension that can be DD'd without issues and at $3k it's a steal
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:47 AM   #3
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Yup, I recall this change back in the day.

The KW CS is a solid choice for a track suspension that can be DD'd without issues and at $3k it's a steal

Agreed with you on all accounts. Though, there are a few important pieces of information relayed in this thread, I've not seen before;

- 1 being the increase in length of the rear spring
- 2 being the unannounced change by KW
- 3 being the "old" rear spring rate is the rate/length used on the M3 GTS.

Lots of data points here if you have patience to read through it.

Have a feeling a lot of these important numbers are not showing up on the mobile app.

I think once guys see the findings laid out. Will spark more of a discussion - as this is a pretty big discovery...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

That's true, the length is very interesting. I've always found it interesting GTS' use the KW CS

Thanks for laying it all out!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

my settings are changed depending on the tire and the track that I'm on. Also changed with aero obviously. #secretsauce lolol

great post!
      10-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
That's true, the length is very interesting. I've always found it interesting GTS' use the KW CS

Thanks for laying it all out!
Only thing I can think of is increase travel=softer ride. But that means they both softened rear spring rate and increased length. That's 2 significant changes. All I wish was able to find out more about. However KW/ larger companies don't give you the 1 on 1 time. Nor are they generally fully equipped with the right information - speaking from my experiences.

Doesn't surprise me they paired w KW for GTS suspension. It's fitting actually. So much so the relationship extended to the M4 GTS using KW & Eibach spring setup. Pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
my settings are changed depending on the tire and the track that I'm on. Also changed with aero obviously. #secretsauce lolol

great post!
Thanks For response & kind words, and sharing your same experiences. Yeah, makes complete sense. Did you discover a new appreciation for the KW Clubsport damper after fine tuning spring rates & adjustments? I truly feel it's a quality/capable damper. Probably myself, nor 90% of owners could ever say they outgrew or was holding them back.
Appreciate 0