BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
BMW_ANTHONY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Question about engine bay

Hi, I am sorry if i posted in the wrong thread, but anyways. I was removing the 4 screws above the front grilles to replace them and my dumbass fumbled a screw while i was pulling it out and it slipped right down the small channel that the hood latch runs down... You can't make this stuff up...

My question, am I ok to drive the car with it lost? There is a similar thread where someone lost a socket, but that was in the actual engine bay, this is up front by the fans, and radiator. Does anyone know where this channel runs? I heard it hit some metal, but it never fell out the bottom. Im guessing/hoping its just sitting on the undertray, but havnt taken part of that off yet to check. Felt around the fan and radiator and didn't feel anything...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

You're fine to drive with one of the bolts missing. You may be able to see it and recover it by simply removing the passenger side felt panel under tray piece. Check out the 1:25 mark in this video to see how it is removed and the easy access you will have without a full under tray removal.

Demonstration Video from Turner Motorsport at 1:25 Mark

Edit: If you really can't find the bolt, the replacement part number is 07146959923.
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here

Last edited by Theodore; 07-28-2018 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
BMW_ANTHONY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
You're fine to drive with one of the bolts missing. You may be able to see it and recover it by simply removing the passenger side felt panel under tray piece. Check out the 1:25 mark in this video to see how it is removed and the easy access you will have without a full under tray removal. Also check around the for the forward most oil drain plug, it may be sitting right there.

Demonstration Video from Turner Motorsport at 1:25 Mark
Thank you so much for fast replay! Will take a look first thing in the morning!
Appreciate 0