BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

08-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

NJ inspection - test pipes

Need some advice here. I have test pipes and the Carly app. My inspection expired last month. Can I use the Carly app to clear the CEL before going for inspection?

If not, can anyone recommend a shop that will pass me?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:30 AM   #2
Tellmee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP AW/FR

Clearing CEL won't pass. And no shop will pass you. Your best bet will be to buy o2 readiness tune from someone like bpm, evolve or alpine and then going to any local shop and not the state inspection center since they do visual test too.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

No one is going to give you a tune to trick an inspection center, its a $500,000 fine. Revert back to stock tune and stock X pipe. Complete the drive cycle and get it inspected.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
No one is going to give you a tune to trick an inspection center, its a $500,000 fine. Revert back to stock tune and stock X pipe. Complete the drive cycle and get it inspected.
yeaaaaa you have to go back to stock, fines are super hefty, don't risk it
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone. Looks like I have a little project this week. Stock cats can clamp up to the stock xpipe when I remove the test pipes, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
I just did this myself i can feel it already and my car is quieter it really sucks... I don't miss the egg smell though. I have to change this though, I can't live like this lol

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
Thanks everyone. Looks like I have a little project this week. Stock cats can clamp up to the stock xpipe when I remove the test pipes, right?
not really, would probably need to weld
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
I just did this myself i can feel it already and my car is quieter it really sucks... I don't miss the egg smell though. I have to change this though, I can't live like this lol
It took me forever to get the car inspected and I had to wait far too long to enjoy that sound again. Now I can finally enjoy our Staten Island traffic. Have you gotten it to pass yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
Quote:
not really, would probably need to weld
Why not? I have RE test pipes. http://www.rogueengineering.com/E9X-...pes-_p_28.html
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #10
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It took me forever to get the car inspected and I had to wait far too long to enjoy that sound again. Now I can finally enjoy our Staten Island traffic. Have you gotten it to pass yet?
Why forever ?
The quietness isn't making me enjoy traffic or anything lol. I hate it. Beyond hate it lol. I didn't even try yet. I'm not due yet, but I wanted Jeff #fuzzyface to do it while he had my car

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #11
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
They are cut and clamped no? look at your stock cats, is there adequate space to fit the clamp? do they line up right against each other when swapped back on? Some cats are cut off at the weld and then not able to be clamped back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #12
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why forever ?
The quietness isn't making me enjoy traffic or anything lol. I hate it. Beyond hate it lol. I didn't even try yet. I'm not due yet, but I wanted Jeff #fuzzyface to do it while he had my car
Where should I start?
- new ess cable ( previous owner gave me a DCT cable. Lied, and told me it was for the ECU as well)
- secondary airpump ( once I defaulted back to stock tune a CEL came up for this)
-maf hose with sensor. ( and then this after the shop had my car for over a week even though I said to replace it anyway because I don't want $150 hose to be the reason the car sits in a shop all weekend )
- GUYS TIRE BUY!!!!!( The place on hylan kept fucking lying to me saying the o2's weren't ready for whatever reason. They probably wanted to make some money 'looking at it')

Cool $1000 inspection. 😎

Oh and I'm talking about how the test pipes make traffic enjoyable. Gotta downshift every overpass on the BQE. I'm in Eltingville so I religiously do it at the train station as well. Since your car is quiet maybe I could make some recordings and put it on a USB so you can play exhaust noises through your speakers like a real bmw lol.

Let me know how the inspection goes. Unfortunately I'm an expert on the subject now so I'm sure I could help if you run into problems.
Appreciate 2
M3LISSA786.00
L4ces337.00
      08-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why forever ?
Where should I start?
- new ess cable ( previous owner gave me a DCT cable. Lied, and told me it was for the ECU as well)
- secondary airpump ( once I defaulted back to stock tune a CEL came up for this)
-maf hose with sensor. ( and then this after the shop had my car for over a week even though I said to replace it anyway because I don't want $150 hose to be the reason the car sits in a shop all weekend )
- GUYS TIRE BUY!!!!!( The place on hylan kept fucking lying to me saying the o2's weren't ready for whatever reason. They probably wanted to make some money 'looking at it')

Cool $1000 inspection.

Oh and I'm talking about how the test pipes make traffic enjoyable. Gotta downshift every overpass on the BQE. I'm in Eltingville so I religiously do it at the train station as well. Since your car is quiet maybe I could make some recordings and put it on a USB so you can play exhaust noises through your speakers like a real bmw lol.

Let me know how the inspection goes. Unfortunately I'm an expert on the subject now so I'm sure I could help if you run into problems.
I pray I don't run into any problems. I still have to contact ESS myself and reflash back, and then I "should" be good... as far as sound goes, I believe we can take off the secondary cats and that doesn't affect readiness... am I correct?

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Quote:
I pray I don't run into any problems. I still have to contact ESS myself and reflash back, and then I "should" be good... as far as sound goes, I believe we can take off the secondary cats and that doesn't affect readiness... am I correct?
You need all 4 cats and a stock exhaust with the exception of an axel back to pass NYC inspection

Just trust me and take my advice on this one. Flash back to stock now and do the bmw ftp drive cycle. I can send you a link if you have trouble. You'll have to cruise at different speeds for different durations which is the tricky part.

You need to drive beteeen 20-30 mph for 3:15 consecutively .The best location for it is to start on Arthur kill road during a time it isn't busy. Start by family fruit and take it toward big nose kates. By the time you make it to Page Ave you should be good. After that get on 440 and take it toward the turn pike. I'd get on that for a solid 30+ minutes at a NO MORE than 60 mph and no less than 40. Never exceeding 3000 rpms at anytime is crucial as doing so will reset the drive cycle and all your luck on Arthur Kill Road catching the light's will be for nothing!!!! Lol. By the time you get back to the Island doing all those things you should satisfy the drive cycle and it should only take a few more drives of turning the car on and off ( about 3) to make all O2 sensors ready. This can be a major pain so don't want until the last couple weeks to do it.
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA786.00
      08-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #15
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You need all 4 cats and a stock exhaust with the exception of an axel back to pass NYC inspection

Just trust me and take my advice on this one. Flash back to stock now and do the bmw ftp drive cycle. I can send you a link if you have trouble. You'll have to cruise at different speeds for different durations which is the tricky part.

You need to drive beteeen 20-30 mph for 3:15 consecutively .The best location for it is to start on Arthur kill road during a time it isn't busy. Start by family fruit and take it toward big nose kates. By the time you make it to Page Ave you should be good. After that get on 440 and take it toward the turn pike. I'd get on that for a solid 30+ minutes at a NO MORE than 60 mph and no less than 40. Never exceeding 3000 rpms at anytime is crucial as doing so will reset the drive cycle and all your luck on Arthur Kill Road catching the light's will be for nothing!!!! Lol. By the time you get back to the Island doing all those things you should satisfy the drive cycle and it should only take a few more drives of turning the car on and off ( about 3) to make all O2 sensors ready. This can be a major pain so don't want until the last couple weeks to do it.
Damm... but thanks for the route... I def know that route and I'll do it... thank you...

Appreciate 1
      08-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #16
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damm... but thanks for the route... I def know that route and I'll do it... thank you...
Dm the link. I'm going to email ESS today

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep

Ended up purchasing a spare X pipe and passed inspection. They plugged into the OBD port but didn't look underneath the car at all... I'm going to look into some tunes now...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #18
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Dm the link. I'm going to email ESS today
Here you go

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=268540&stc=1&d=1299111 420
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA786.00