BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-10-2018, 11:08 PM   #7899
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripclubDJ View Post
I appreciate that bud!
And yeah a trans a turbo upgrade will most likely come later down the road when the chassis is fully sorted

But that's the Main issue , when I said get comfortable , I meant with the everything off lol
With the amount of aero and tire he's gonna have I want him to rely on mechanic grip , not the YAW rate control lol

When I was doing the wiring I should of cut the yaw sensor out and sent it lol
ying's car is a beast....fucking cheater lol
Good thing his car is faster than he is .... for now lol
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #7900
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I do 6 from full soft rebound and 3 from full soft compression for street driving on my rs pros. Wonder how much different that is from rs1
Got it, from RS Pro Sport recommendations:
"Factory setting is +3 compression and +6 rebound clicks from full soft for road use.

Start out with +6 compression and +10 rebound clicks from full soft for track"

My RS One are +5 from full soft for street, +10 for track. Seems like a similar scale.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:46 AM   #7901
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
I appreciate that bud!
And yeah a trans a turbo upgrade will most likely come later down the road when the chassis is fully sorted

But that's the Main issue , when I said get comfortable , I meant with the everything off lol
With the amount of aero and tire he's gonna have I want him to rely on mechanic grip , not the YAW rate control lol

When I was doing the wiring I should of cut the yaw sensor out and sent it lol
ying's car is a beast....fucking cheater lol
Good thing his car is faster than he is .... for now lol
      12-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #7902
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Any recommendations on where to start for entry level competition? I’ve been looking at nasa tt3 but not sure what else is out there. Preferably around Texas.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:02 PM   #7903
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post
Any recommendations on where to start for entry level competition? I've been looking at nasa tt3 but not sure what else is out there. Preferably around Texas.
I'm starting with time trials mostly because I'm not willing to bend up my car racing yet.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      12-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #7904
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

Quote:
Any recommendations on where to start for entry level competition? I’ve been looking at nasa tt3 but not sure what else is out there. Preferably around Texas.
SCCA has there TT thing but the classing is autoX so if you have anything on your car you wont be competitive. Still fun to get times against other guys. Oh and cant forget pax! Even though you get the fastest time of the day some mustang will have a faster pax time and they are 10 sec slower. NASA you need to do there HPDE and get approved before doing the TT events.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      12-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #7905
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I'm starting with time trials mostly because I'm not willing to bend up my car racing yet.
I’m with you on that one - time trials looks to be a good start for me. Will be awhile before wheel to wheel. What organization(s) are you participating in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCUSE_M3 View Post
SCCA has there TT thing but the classing is autoX so if you have anything on your car you wont be competitive. Still fun to get times against other guys. Oh and cant forget pax! Even though you get the fastest time of the day some mustang will have a faster pax time and they are 10 sec slower. NASA you need to do there HPDE and get approved before doing the TT events.
So for SCCA if you do anything to the car does that throw you up into higher classes? I haven’t gotten to autocross yet so that could be interesting - although from the sound of it the pax adjustment could get old but probably still fun. NASA was my first thought - seems like they have a decent Texas presence and actually wouldn’t mind working through an HPDE or two with them to get a feel of what they are all about before building to their rules

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #7906
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
I’m with you on that one - time trials looks to be a good start for me. Will be awhile before wheel to wheel. What organization(s) are you participating in?

So for SCCA if you do anything to the car does that throw you up into higher classes? I haven’t gotten to autocross yet so that could be interesting - although from the sound of it the pax adjustment could get old but probably still fun. NASA was my first thought - seems like they have a decent Texas presence and actually wouldn’t mind working through an HPDE or two with them to get a feel of what they are all about before building to their rules

Thanks!
Ya they run the PAX system even with track stuff so just depends on the mods but with my E90,s areo and what not im just there to set the fastest time. Who cares about PAX I like raw! The E36 is a much better car for SCCA but i take the e90 out most of the time. Its fun and like i said fun to get some times against others with way more power.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #7907
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
NASA central. Figure I complete in TT3 this year against me, myself and I (Non-existent field in the central region). Then add HP to run TT2 in 2020. TT2 is competitive so that's gonna be a challenge.

I'll also do a couple of DEs throughout the year.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      12-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #7908
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Any recommendations on where to start for entry level competition? I've been looking at nasa tt3 but not sure what else is out there. Preferably around Texas.
Big vote for TT3. First event is at MSRH last weekend of January. I plan to be there. I ran with that region for 4 years. Runner up 3 times. Champion in 2017.

I think TT is easier on the car in a lot of ways, but still gives you a competitive experience.

PM me if I can answer any questions.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      12-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #7909
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
FYI, SCCA TT is now merging with Gridlife and Global Time Attack to form the new North American Time Attack Council for 2019. There's an interview/reveal tonight at 9pm EST on the Grassroots Motorsports YouTube channel with more information. They are also launching the new website this afternoon time trials.scca.com

I know they mentioned doing something like novice, intermediate, advanced, and pro licenses with ladder ranking

I'm optimistic that this means they will move away from the current classing system.
Appreciate 1
XCUSE_M3142.50
      12-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #7910
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Check my other post above for info, but SCCA is now merging with Global Time Attack and Gridlife to form a new TT association for 2019, so they may become a serious contender to NASA. There's an interview/announcement tonight at 9pm EST on the Grassroots Motorsports YouTube channel.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      12-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #7911
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
FYI, SCCA TT is now merging with Gridlife and Global Time Attack to form the new North American Time Attack Council for 2019. There's an interview/reveal tonight at 9pm EST on the Grassroots Motorsports YouTube channel with more information. They are also launching the new website this afternoon time trials.scca.com

I know they mentioned doing something like novice, intermediate, advanced, and pro licenses with ladder ranking

I'm optimistic that this means they will move away from the current classing system.
Cant wait to see the classing if it changes at all. My car is xp or whatever so I can get paired with some Miatas with LS motors and all that fun. My stock 4.0L cant hang.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #7912
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cant wait to see the classing if it changes at all. My car is xp or whatever so I can get paired with some Miatas with LS motors and all that fun. My stock 4.0L cant hang.
Oh well even the current classing is not exactly the same as autox, it's just based on it. So for that situation, if you do an engine swap, it moves you into the "max" or "unlimited" (can't remember exactly) class as 1 form of fairness and they also have each class divided into 3 or 4 levels depending on engine power (as a baseline) and caveats for extreme power to weight examples such as that. It's not perfect, but it's not that bad. I've participated in 2 of their TT events this year and they were both quite fun. Got 2nd place at one event. TT Nationals was a bit more competitive, so no podium. National Corvette Museum was an amazing track though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #7913
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
Oh well even the current classing is not exactly the same as autox, it's just based on it. So for that situation, if you do an engine swap, it moves you into the "max" or "unlimited" (can't remember exactly) class as 1 form of fairness and they also have each class divided into 3 or 4 levels depending on engine power (as a baseline) and caveats for extreme power to weight examples such as that. It's not perfect, but it's not that bad. I've participated in 2 of their TT events this year and they were both quite fun. Got 2nd place at one event. TT Nationals was a bit more competitive, so no podium. National Corvette Museum was an amazing track though.
The other problem was not all regions used the same rules. I know the national rules were different from the Texas region. It was the first year in Texas so maybe thats why. Just getting a feel for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #7914
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
NASA central. Figure I complete in TT3 this year against me, myself and I (Non-existent field in the central region). Then add HP to run TT2 in 2020. TT2 is competitive so that's gonna be a challenge.

Awesome - podium sweep all by yourself! So about an 80 to 90 hp bump to get to TT2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Big vote for TT3. First event is at MSRH last weekend of January. I plan to be there. I ran with that region for 4 years. Runner up 3 times. Champion in 2017.

I think TT is easier on the car in a lot of ways, but still gives you a competitive experience.

That is awesome - sounds like a pretty solid four year run! Is there a pretty decent turnout for this region? Sounds like you were pretty happy with how it was run too?

Have you run COTA with your TT3 car? If so would you mind sharing what kind of times that class tends to run there? Just curious how far I have to climb to be competitive - all I know is it's going to be a long way

Quote:
Check my other post above for info, but SCCA is now merging with Global Time Attack and Gridlife to form a new TT association for 2019, so they may become a serious contender to NASA. There's an interview/announcement tonight at 9pm EST on the Grassroots Motorsports YouTube channel.
Very timely - will check it out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #7915
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome - podium sweep all by yourself! So about an 80 to 90 hp bump to get to TT2?

Quote:

That is awesome - sounds like a pretty solid four year run! Is there a pretty decent turnout for this region? Sounds like you were pretty happy with how it was run too?

Have you run COTA with your TT3 car? If so would you mind sharing what kind of times that class tends to run there? Just curious how far I have to climb to be competitive - all I know is it's going to be a long way

Quote:
Very timely - will check it out. Thanks!
I'll post some CoTA videos. I had the original TT3 track record with a 2:27. Paul Costas came back the next year in 280 hp corvette and ran a 2:22. I can probably get to 2:25 in my car, but will never get close to his record.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4685.50
      12-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #7916
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
I'll post some CoTA videos. I had the original TT3 track record with a 2:27. Paul Costas came back the next year in 280 hp corvette and ran a 2:22. I can probably get to 2:25 in my car, but will never get close to his record.
Can I run in TTU if I don’t want to deal with dynos and all the associated calculations?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #7917
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Quote:
Can I run in TTU if I don’t want to deal with dynos and all the associated calculations?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #7918
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
You were scootin around there - awesome! Not very nice of Mr. Costas to come back the next year and do that though, seems pretty rude. Would definitely like to see some videos if you have time to post them. Has that corvette been your main competition?

Been thinking of going to the January event to get the HDPE progression towards TT started - weather should could be fun then though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #7919
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

2:27 is fast as shit. I'm instructing this weekend, and I'll be happy with a 2:32. That said, I'll be on RS-4s, and my car weighs 3775 with driver-belly.

On another note, I'm psyched to try out my new Racecom Trac-com communicator with direct Stilo connection.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #7920
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
I'm going to try and drop more weight and get a good dyno tune with intake, headers and exhaust.

The car is at 2590 with a full cage and no fuel right now. I want to try and get down to 2480 dry which should put me at 8.2 adj WT:HP.

I think I can drop another 30 lbs without spending much money or using composites. Then another 43 lbs re-doing my roll cage with .095 wall tubing. I can lose another 20 net with a CF hood, roof and trunk plus the weight of aero components.

I have to get down to 2550 dry to have a chance to be able to go with thinner tubing which would be a substantial weight reduction. I think I can get to sub-2500 lbs for less than $2000 all in - parts, tools, and supplies.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0