BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-15-2018, 01:24 AM   #1
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Selling US Spec M3 in Europe

Hello all,

Not sure if any of you have experience with this or can offer some guidance but anything would be greatly appreciated.

I will be relocating to Europe for a 13 month ex-pat assignment. If I import my E92 M3 there and decide to sell before coming back to US.

Have any of you bought a US spec car or know anyone who has?
Is there an adverse effect on valuation because it's a US spec car?
Are there regulatory/compliance issues with getting one on the road?
Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #2
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Speaking as a European: yes, it does have an adverse effect. Mostly because salvage titles are being imported by shady dealers.

On the other hand, I believe E9X M3s are worth more than in the States. What do you reckon yours is worth?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:28 AM   #3
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
US spec cars can and is often are sold to Europeans, the car just has to undergo TÜV inspection and then run through customs. Being a BMW there probably aren't many changes other than headlights and side marker lights to change to meet European standards.

If you are involved with embassy or military, you can get exemption based on SOFA agreement.

There is a large US/European BMW car scene here in Germany, so connect with 'M Flight Europe' on FB and ask the question there. We have lots of Europeans car experts there and also US folks that have sold their cars to Europeans.

Dackelone, any thoughts or advice?
      10-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

What's good to remember is that in Europe, the buyer will still have to pay VAT/import taxes. Those need to be factored in the price (+-20%).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

I have a US import and bought one with salvage title. As mentioned above, 95% of US imports have accident records and that's the general opinion. Also these cars are considered of worse quality and equipment than their Euro equivalents, which was actually true for previous M3 generations. The E92 however is almost the same for both markets.
Given that the prices are lower and some people don't even consider imports. But nonetheless there are a lot of customers for these cars, as in Europe there is no carfax equivalent and Euro cars have no accident history at all.
If your car has a clean title, you shouldn't have any problems selling it here. The selling price most likely will be lower than for a clean Euro version though.
      10-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I get that European cars may have some advanced options that we don't have in US, but in general to consider US cars as worse equiped?? I surprised.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

In E92 you only get worse seats (the bottom part is from standard non-M 3 series), small storage compartment delete (located to the left of the steering column), no front pdc and worse side mirrors and that's probably it. Also you need to do all the coding for Europe, change the gauges, the remote in reverse mirror doesn't work with European frequencies so if you want to use it you need to replace it, replace the tailights (you need amber turn signals), and probably more that I forgot.

On the other hand, take a look at e46 or e36. US E46 made less power due to catted headers and was equipped with solid rotors, and US E36 had even more downsides if I recall correctly - hence all the stereotypes. I also heard that the US cars get worse materials for interior, but I don't think this is true.
      10-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Well, m3 may be an exception, but only in EU I saw manual controls for seats and HVAC in X5s. And let's not venture into engines...

P.S. US E36 was an abomination
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

You should bring an American car into Europe. Something like a Mustang or Corvette. Those cost more in Germany than here and highly desirable.
      10-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
US spec cars can and is often are sold to Europeans, the car just has to undergo TÜV inspection and then run through customs. Being a BMW there probably aren't many changes other than headlights and side marker lights to change to meet European standards.

If you are involved with embassy or military, you can get exemption based on SOFA agreement.

There is a large US/European BMW car scene here in Germany, so connect with 'M Flight Europe' on FB and ask the question there. We have lots of Europeans car experts there and also US folks that have sold their cars to Europeans.

Dackelone, any thoughts or advice?

e90335e36m3 IF you bring in a US spec car... you can do so... but only for six months on your USA plates(plus you will need European insurance!). Figure in about $1,500 to ship your car... you will also have to post a bond and pay some import fees. BUT... the German customs will want the car to LEAVE the EU after six months. You will likely have to pay about 26% in import fees and taxes... and then when your car leaves Germany... you will get that money back. Well... some of it.

IF you want to sell your car after your stay... it will cost you more in custom fees.

Its far cheaper just to sell your car and buy a car over here. Driving a car that gets 9 mpg in a country where a gallon of gas costs $9 and a liter of motor oil costs you 32 euros is just insane. But some diesel-weasel for your stay over here. Maybe put your M3 in storage back in the states.

Dackel
Appreciate 2
Law6377.00
Rikx1M559.00