BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England

01-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

VF650 SC kits having issues in MA?

Anyone familiar with folks not being able to pass inspection in MA with this kit because of tune issues? Someone mentioned that me but wanted to verify on here.
      01-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
mikefil128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Hey guy. From what I heard you swap out exhaust to stock (for the cats and readiness) and swap over to stock map to pass emissions. That's what ESS told me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

I have a ESS but same pricipals... You are most likely not passing due to catalyst readiness. Your tune may have that turned off to eliminate a cel on a car that has the primary cats removed.

Also I am not sure about vf but ess provided me with a separate tune with a 5000rpm redline to flash into my car and drive it for a few hundred miles to get all readiness monitors to pass.

Readiness can be checked on any simple obd2 scanner so once you see that they have passed you go for your sticker. You may need you factory xpipe, high flow cats, or secondary o2 sensor spacers to get the car to pass the catalyst testing.
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00
      01-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Surprized at this problem

MA allows one flag not ready. So if your tune disables cat efficiency codes (so as to prevent the CEL light), you'll have "cat not ready" or "cat incomplete" but all the rest should set and you should pass.

Check readiness as eatsleepboost suggests and see what the issue is, if any. Just remember that everytime you reset codes with the scanner, all emission-related OBDII flags will reset and become not ready. Sometimes it can take a while for everything to set again, particularly (in my case) evap
Appreciate 2
Torgus3779.00
oolas3387.00
      04-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
jmcjameson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Competition

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Anyone familiar with folks not being able to pass inspection in MA with this kit because of tune issues? Someone mentioned that me but wanted to verify on here.
I have vf650 with Remus I never pass.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Surprized at this problem

MA allows one flag not ready. So if your tune disables cat efficiency codes (so as to prevent the CEL light), you'll have "cat not ready" or "cat incomplete" but all the rest should set and you should pass.

Check readiness as eatsleepboost suggests and see what the issue is, if any. Just remember that everytime you reset codes with the scanner, all emission-related OBDII flags will reset and become not ready. Sometimes it can take a while for everything to set again, particularly (in my case) evap
This is because there are two readiness for cats. Not one.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #7
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong;

There is an "oxygen sensor" flag which reports the functionality of the the sensors upstream of the catalytic converter and a "cat efficiency" or "catalyst" monitor which reports on the downstream sensor function.

Upstream sensors are critical to the operation of the engine which relies on them to report A/F ratio.

Downstream sensors are not critical to engine operation and are solely present to verify normal function of the converters

No tune would spoof or otherwise monkey with the operation of the upstream sensors and the "oxygen sensor" flag will always set. The "cat efficiency" flag, on the other hand, is purposefully disabled so that users with test pipes do not have suffer constantly lit CELs. Therefore, the "cat efficiency" flag always reports not ready.

Anyway, I have a VF620 with VF stock tune and test pipes. I have one not-ready flag, "cat efficiency", and I pass inspection.
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00
      04-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #8
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong;

There is an "oxygen sensor" flag which reports the functionality of the the sensors upstream of the catalytic converter and a "cat efficiency" or "catalyst" monitor which reports on the downstream sensor function.

Upstream sensors are critical to the operation of the engine which relies on them to report A/F ratio.

Downstream sensors are not critical to engine operation and are solely present to verify normal function of the converters

No tune would spoof or otherwise monkey with the operation of the upstream sensors and the "oxygen sensor" flag will always set. The "cat efficiency" flag, on the other hand, is purposefully disabled so that users with test pipes do not have suffer constantly lit CELs. Therefore, the "cat efficiency" flag always reports not ready.

Anyway, I have a VF620 with VF stock tune and test pipes. I have one not-ready flag, "cat efficiency", and I pass inspection.
So you have secondary cats? I think that helps, no?
      04-25-2019, 01:31 AM   #9
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Dpaul your post is correct except in MA you are allowed to have 1 "not ready" non-continuous monitor. Since the cat monitor is continuous it has to be ready to pass. An evap rediness can read "not ready" and still pass.

Secondary cats don't help anything inspection wise. They are after the rear O2 sensor. They wouldn't only help if inspection stations did an old school test and put a sniffer on the tail pipe but that is no longer done.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #10
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Dpaul your post is correct except in MA you are allowed to have 1 "not ready" non-continuous monitor. Since the cat monitor is continuous it has to be ready to pass. An evap rediness can read "not ready" and still pass.

Not sure I follow. Yes, as I stated in post #4, MA allows 1 not-ready monitor. However, I don't think a distinction is made between continuous and non-continuous monitors.

My experience has been that a not-ready cat efficiency monitor will pass MA inspection, if all other monitors are set. I have done this many times, at several different inspection stations, over the last decade, with three vehicles that were tuned and lacking converters.

However, I was failed when I showed up with both cat not-ready and evap not-ready. To be sure, this case involved a tuned E90 335xi, not the M3, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Perhaps it was just the inspection station that I used. I was forced to remedy the evap problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
So you have secondary cats? I think that helps, no?
I do have them (I think!) but as eatsleepboost points out, they wouldn't help
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Long after the fact but I finally looked it up:

Eatsleepboost is correct in that MA allows one non-continuous monitor to be not-ready.

However, he mistakenly identifies the cat-related monitors as continuous.

The following are non-continuous monitors for gasoline engines:

Catalyst (CAT)
Heated Catalyst
Evaporative (EVAP) System
Secondary Air System
Oxygen (O2) Sensor
Oxygen Sensor Heater
EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and/or VVT System
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
AhlingtonBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP 6MT VT-595

MA abides by the CARB standards (the California standards). In addition to looking for ready monitors and all of that which has been highlighted already, when they plug you into the state's networked computer they check for the original factory software (or a tune that has an EO#). In my case, they sent me to Motor Assistance Center (MAC) before any inspection station was able to print a valid sticker for my car.

ESS can provide some guidance on the above, but the inspector is also supposed to do a visual look under the hood too. That's the issue I haven't had any luck navigating around...

Last edited by AhlingtonBMW; 07-15-2019 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #14
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, MA is supposed to abide by CARB standards (I think since 2017?). However, inspection is not a state-owned enterprise and some shops do not go the prescribed distance.

I've never had a visual inspection and my non-original DME software has never been detected on any of my vehicles.

I may have been lucky but I think my experience is still currently the norm. For sure, once you've been directed to the MAC, you're done for.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      07-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #15
AhlingtonBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP 6MT VT-595

Quote:
Yes, MA is supposed to abide by CARB standards (I think since 2017?). However, inspection is not a state-owned enterprise and some shops do not go the prescribed distance.

I've never had a visual inspection and my non-original DME software has never been detected on any of my vehicles.

I may have been lucky but I think my experience is still currently the norm. For sure, once you've been directed to the MAC, you're done for.
Yeah, probably some bad luck on my part plus I wasn't smart enough to talk with ESS first. Its really a shame they didn't (or couldn't) obtain an EO# like they do for most all the GM stuff that's out there.
Appreciate 0