BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Center Armrest Installation Help

I am wrapping up an interior swap on my vert from black to fox red and could use some guidance on the center armrest install. Unfortunately I didn't pay close enough attention to how this spring was "loaded" before uninstalling the old one and now I am unsure how to properly install. So far I am pretty sure I need to get the spring on the armrest "legs" in the little grooves and then insert into the center console and install the silver set pins (I know they are not fully seated yet), but then how do I load the spring? I saw a video on ECS Tuning where they push the center part of the spring behind a notch in the center area, but I know for a fact that is not how my previous one was installed as the spring is not bent at all and that would require a significant bend. It would also require significant effort and I can't seem to get that to work. Can anyone provide some guidance? ECS video also shows a small gear that my previous armrest did not have, nor does the replacement.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:02 AM   #2
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

You got to push it into place with a big flat blade. It's easier to do with the lid up.. (no load on the spring)

Edit: so with the hinge pin in place through the spring in the right orientation, put the console lid in the up position and push the spring in to place with a large flat blade. Looks right in the top pic, open and follow above instruction.
      10-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

First you need to remove all the Fox red interior pieces put em in a crate and ship them to me. In return I'll send you all my black interior parts.

Sorry I can't help. I'm looking to do the swap as well but can't find seats that are in the same condition as mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
You got to push it into place with a big flat blade. It's easier to do with the lid up.. (no load on the spring)

Edit: so with the hinge pin in place through the spring in the right orientation, put the console lid in the up position and push the spring in to place with a large flat blade. Looks right in the top pic, open and follow above instruction.
Thanks for the confirmation. I was able to use a trim removal tool as I was having a hard time with the spring sliding off of my flathead screwdriver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
First you need to remove all the Fox red interior pieces put em in a crate and ship them to me. In return I'll send you all my black interior parts.

Sorry I can't help. I'm looking to do the swap as well but can't find seats that are in the same condition as mine.
lol. Took me well over a year to land an acceptable set as well. This one had a blown drivers seat airbag and is out of a 2008, so no active headrest restraint on the front seats, but the airbag replacement was straightforward and I can code out the headrest restraint. Will post some pics soon to make you a bit more jealous.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #5
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

My video might help you:
Appreciate 0