BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

01-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
sendkcone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

E90 M3 vs. E86 Z4MC

So I can't fit the kids in my Z4MC and hate the idea of selling. The only "family" car I've found that may ease my pain is the E90 M3. Does anyone have experience with both cars and what are your observations?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Driving wise, the M3 is nowhere NEAR as raw as the M Coupe. I do have to say it's leaps and bounds more fun than the M5 and M6 though (and yes I'm talking from experience not from mags). I still don't think BMW makes a car that's nearly as fun as the M Coupe, but that's basically a size/weight issue.

I also missed the feeling of basically sitting over the rear axle.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Driving wise, the M3 is nowhere NEAR as raw as the M Coupe. I do have to say it's leaps and bounds more fun than the M5 and M6 though (and yes I'm talking from experience not from mags). I still don't think BMW makes a car that's nearly as fun as the M Coupe, but that's basically a size/weight issue.

I also missed the feeling of basically sitting over the rear axle.
Agree 100%

And the word is there will be no M-coupe this go around.

Very sad day for BMW. They have officially abandoned back-to-basics cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Well I testdrove the Z4M thoroughly and I find the engine lacks torque/ power(having had a E46M3 as well) + the reartyres are gripping way to much giving the car a bit of understeer what I didn't want. Besides it's unpracticality I think that car need(ed) the 4.0V8. The sound was great but it didn't feel really fast at all.The Z4M is a big bit heavier than the 3.0Si which I found more playable and more agile in a way... I had better expectations of the Z4M(having the great almost dangerous Z3M in mind)...no the Z4M doesn't do it for me, sorry.

A german sportscar TV programme(don't recall the name atm) tested both the E90 M3 and the Z4M on their small dry and full of bends testtrack:The elephantic E90 M3 was more than 2 seconds faster fwiw
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
sendkcone
Private
Rep

It's the M Coupe rawness that was mentioned, and the sound, the simplicity, the fat handstiched steering wheel, the M badges the black headliner, the great seats, the handling and connection to the road that I'm trying to find in a sedan if possible. Any other E90 M3 owners that have come from a Z4MC have anything to say?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

I used to have an 07 Z4 M Coupe. I sold it and bought an E90 M3 since I now have a baby boy to drive around .

I can tell you that the MCoupe was more nimble and definitely had a lower CG compared to the M3, this meant that I felt more comfortable going fast at triple digit speeds.

Although the M Coupe did have a really stiff clutch, poor visibility and mild understeer.

The M3 is a chunky less nimble car that you sit on (not in), but man the V8 is so much better than the old zingy I6. Also, the M3 has so much more versatility with the Tech package (EDC, M Drive, etc..).

Personally, I do miss the M Coupe as a more raw, nimble true sports car.

However, the versatility, motor and capabilities of the new M3 make me forget very quickly...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
I used to have an 07 Z4 M Coupe. I sold it and bought an E90 M3 since I now have a baby boy to drive around .

I can tell you that the MCoupe was more nimble and definitely had a lower CG compared to the M3, this meant that I felt more comfortable going fast at triple digit speeds.

Although the M Coupe did have a really stiff clutch, poor visibility and mild understeer.

The M3 is a chunky less nimble car that you sit on (not in), but man the V8 is so much better than the old zingy I6. Also, the M3 has so much more versatility with the Tech package (EDC, M Drive, etc..).

However, the versatility, motor and capabilities of the new M3 make me forget very quickly...
Very good review, sounds spot on.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
sendkcone
Private
Rep

Very helpful. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post

Wow, I'm surprised you find the V8 so much better than the I6. I actually loved the rough, almost uncompromising nature of the straight six.

I thought oversteer was easy to provoke too. Really...I feel like we drove different Z4Ms or something. That was actually my favorite part when driving it on the track: the tail went ballistic. Good fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Well I testdrove the Z4M thoroughly and I find the engine lacks torque/ power(having had a E46M3 as well) + the reartyres are gripping way to much giving the car a bit of understeer what I didn't want. Besides it's unpracticality I think that car need(ed) the 4.0V8. The sound was great but it didn't feel really fast at all.The Z4M is a big bit heavier than the 3.0Si which I found more playable and more agile in a way... I had better expectations of the Z4M(having the great almost dangerous Z3M in mind)...no the Z4M doesn't do it for me, sorry.

A german sportscar TV programme(don't recall the name atm) tested both the E90 M3 and the Z4M on their small dry and full of bends testtrack:The elephantic E90 M3 was more than 2 seconds faster fwiw
Faster, but not as much fun.

Depends on what you value more: practicality and speed vs simplistic all out fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:32 AM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Faster, but not as much fun.

Depends on what you value more: practicality and speed vs simplistic all out fun.
?

I find the E90 M3 when pushed hard(er) more fun to play with than the Z4M because of lack of power and too much traction/grip at the rear causing a bit understeer. In the rain it's a different story.

A 997S gives you a much more involved ride/feeling than the Z4M imho.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
?

I find the E90 M3 when pushed hard(er) more fun to play with than the Z4M because of lack of power and too much traction/grip at the rear causing a bit understeer. In the rain it's a different story.

A 997S gives you a much more involved ride/feeling than the Z4M imho.
Wow we really have polar opinions on this car lol.

All I know is, TC off, driving on a track, oversteer is easily accessible (though understeer is somewhat prevalent). I prefer the size of the Z4.

Never driven a 997S, but if it's much more involving then I've got to someday.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Wow, I'm surprised you find the V8 so much better than the I6. I actually loved the rough, almost uncompromising nature of the straight six.

I thought oversteer was easy to provoke too. Really...I feel like we drove different Z4Ms or something. That was actually my favorite part when driving it on the track: the tail went ballistic. Good fun.
the M3 V8 has so much better throttle response than the z4m I-6 ever had. I hated the 'sport' setting on the Z4m it was way too sensitive and utterly useless. Powerwise and flexibility of power band, I find the M3 v8 vastly superior. And the high RPM growl of the v8 is awesome.

I'm not disagreeing with you on oversteer, the Z4m felt more easy to toss around for sure and since it had a lower CG I felt more comfortable doing it.

To me, the Z4m felt like an unfinished car put together quickly to compete against the porsche cayman/911. I think BMW could of put more effort in the suspension (too soft with understeer) and driving dynamics (CSL MDM?).
Appreciate 0