BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-15-2016, 12:31 AM   #1
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Is it ok to run vented hood in the rain?

Thinking about getting an aftermarket CF vented hood, but a little worried about water getting in there when it rains since my m3 is my DD.

Is it ok(or safe) driving in the rain with vented hood? Such as the Vorsteiner vented hood, Seibon CT style or DV style?

Thanks in advance.
      04-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I doubt much water would get in since the air will be moving horizontally over the surface of the hood, thus pushing the water backward when it needs to go down and forward to get in the slats of the hood.

But whatever water that gets in through the vented hood will probably pale in comparison to the water that gets in through the kidney grills.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan
I doubt much water would get in since the air will be moving horizontally over the surface of the hood, thus pushing the water backward when it needs to go down and forward to get in the slats of the hood.

But whatever water that gets in through the vented hood will probably pale in comparison to the water that gets in through the kidney grills.
Yeah I'm not too worried about it when I'm actually driving the car, but since it's my DD I have to leave it in the parking lot for a certain period of time everyday, what about when the car is parked and it rains?
      04-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
RoyalFlushness
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

When I used to work at BMW technicians would spray the engine bay with a power washer to wash away oil/grease/dirt. I'm assuming it should be completely fine unless you were running velocity stacks
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFlushness
When I used to work at BMW technicians would spray the engine bay with a power washer to wash away oil/grease/dirt. I'm assuming it should be completely fine unless you were running velocity stacks
Thanks for the input, my engine is currently stock but what's velocity stacks?
      04-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #6
EnderG60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 / 2012 M3

All wiring in your engine is water resistant. You get water in there driving around as it gets splashed up from below too. So unless you added some aftermarket wiring I wouldnt be worried.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderG60
All wiring in your engine is water resistant. You get water in there driving around as it gets splashed up from below too. So unless you added some aftermarket wiring I wouldnt be worried.
Thanks, this helps s lot
      04-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

No cars were designed for dry days only
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
No cars were designed for dry days only
I know all stock cars are fine in the rain, but not sure about aftermarket parts.