BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
72dan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT coupe white/beige

Garage List
Ferodo DS2500

I want to try some Ferodo DS2500 pads on my Stoptech Trophy Kit.
The prices are kind of steep. Is there a sponsor or group buy on these?
Any recommendation of where to purchase?

List front ST-60 is $344
rear ST-40 $244

Thanks
Dan
      04-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
sgreer78
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Cayman GT4

stranoparts.com

Get ahold of Sam and he will take care of you. They are expensive pads, don't expect 40% off or some miracle.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #3
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
All i can say is that i have the ferodos ds2500 on my f22 with the StopTech STR60's and I absolutely love that setup haha. Have fun man!

But look here. Not much cheaper. But still less than $344

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2002
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I found the compounds of DS2500 very weak against high temp even for my E36 M3 (1350kg wet weight, Euro 3.2) at FIA grade 2 track. They are okay on street but I would stick to stock pads in that case.
      05-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

For the track or for the street? They'll do ok on track, but won't last long. It's what I use for a street pad.
      05-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72dan View Post
I want to try some Ferodo DS2500 pads on my Stoptech Trophy Kit.
The prices are kind of steep. Is there a sponsor or group buy on these?
Any recommendation of where to purchase?

List front ST-60 is $344
rear ST-40 $244

Thanks
Dan
Ferodos are expensive but you are getting what you pay for. On street tires I found the DS2500 to be totally fine on the track with my ST40 kit, even after a 30 minute session.

Zeckhausen lists them at $327 and $233. Give Dave Z (the owner) a call, he's a great guy:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2002
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=840
      05-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

The Ferodo DS2500's are one of the most versatile pads on the market. They crush OEM pads on every performance metric. Most notably, they can take a serious beating, not fade, and then carry you to the store for a sandwich. Other streetable pads just don't hold up the same or have the max operating temps of the DS2500. In our opinion, they are the best mixed use (street/track) pad available anywhere. They are essentially a light duty track pad with very good road manners. They're manufactured in Italy to an extremely high quality standard. Many other pads on the market are made for $6 per set in Asia. It's no different than any other part you might consider putting on your M3. There are quality parts that can do X, and there are not-so-quality parts that cannot. Ferodo isn't the cheapest, but they're one of the very best.
Appreciate 1
72dan48.00
      05-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

From my personal experience using these exclusively on the street on thef ront of my car with a Stoptech STR40 kit:

A) The DS2500 temp/friction curve must fall off a cliff below 50 degrees F. It's a huge difference between the first cold brake application in cool weather and the next stop when the brakes have just a teeny bit of heat in them, and now that's it's warm outside, I notice no difference really except they do grab a little harder a little earlier when they're good and hot

B) They squeak a bit (and it's a very little bit, not dumptruck like a race pad, ever) on light pedal pressure when cold

Other than those two minor quibbles for a true street-only pad, they blow the stock pads out of the water, and like essex said, they're track"able" even if not ideal for track. Thuogh I have heard reports of getting them so hot they never come back from other racers who have tracked on their street pads, that's racers and most track day folks are probably not going to have that problem

I like them so much I'm considering just getting them for our W212 when the stock pads wear out soon. The stock pads on that thing squeal when cold anyway, why not just go all-in with a real pad
      05-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
From my personal experience using these exclusively on the street on thef ront of my car with a Stoptech STR40 kit:

A) The DS2500 temp/friction curve must fall off a cliff below 50 degrees F. It's a huge difference between the first cold brake application in cool weather and the next stop when the brakes have just a teeny bit of heat in them, and now that's it's warm outside, I notice no difference really except they do grab a little harder a little earlier when they're good and hot

B) They squeak a bit (and it's a very little bit, not dumptruck like a race pad, ever) on light pedal pressure when cold

Other than those two minor quibbles for a true street-only pad, they blow the stock pads out of the water, and like essex said, they're track"able" even if not ideal for track. Thuogh I have heard reports of getting them so hot they never come back from other racers who have tracked on their street pads, that's racers and most track day folks are probably not going to have that problem

I like them so much I'm considering just getting them for our W212 when the stock pads wear out soon. The stock pads on that thing squeal when cold anyway, why not just go all-in with a real pad

On my old Audi, they had an ugly grinding sound in the dead of winter. Not the end of the world, but I do agree that on ice-cold rotors, the pedal feel was crap.
      05-17-2019, 04:40 AM   #10
72dan
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Brake pads

I ran last weekend at Streets of Willow. Video is 1080P you can watch full screen. Dropped 3 seconds from the AST 3 way coil overs and SPL control arms.
https://vimeo.com/336770027
on the Pagid RS92 pads for the track day. Amazing my E92 is quiet a few seconds a lap faster than the E36 M3 I pass, ST-5 NASA car, but I have the upgraded electric, heated seats, Harmon Kardon 13 speaker stereo etc.
Then I installed the Ferodo DS2500's afterwards for the first time.
So far they seem decent, I haven't pushed them.
Two things I had to do to make them quiet. The anti squeal shims from my Stoptech Trophy brakes didn't fit well so I had to straighten the shims with pliers, then reshape the bottom tabs so they fit tightly around the pads.

Then I put on Permatex Ceramic anti squeal past on the back of the pads before putting the shims on. It does make a big difference.

The initial bit isn't quite at the level of the Pagid RS29, but easier street driving. They are completely silent right now. Will see how they do under hard use. My Pagids show pretty significant wear with 4 track days on them, maybe half.
So far my rotors have done well, I am at 31.66" mm diameter rear and 31.34 mm diameter up front. They say I can run them down to 30mm they started at 32mm.

Last edited by 72dan; 05-17-2019 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
72dan
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
DS2500s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
The Ferodo DS2500's are one of the most versatile pads on the market. They crush OEM pads on every performance metric. Most notably, they can take a serious beating, not fade, and then carry you to the store for a sandwich. Other streetable pads just don't hold up the same or have the max operating temps of the DS2500. In our opinion, they are the best mixed use (street/track) pad available anywhere. They are essentially a light duty track pad with very good road manners. They're manufactured in Italy to an extremely high quality standard. Many other pads on the market are made for $6 per set in Asia. It's no different than any other part you might consider putting on your M3. There are quality parts that can do X, and there are not-so-quality parts that cannot. Ferodo isn't the cheapest, but they're one of the very best.
Bought them through Essex. Better than the street pads that Stoptech offers. Not quite the bite of the Pagid RS29, but more streetable. I have zero noise so far but I took the time to put on some Permatex anti-squeal. Then the anti-squeal shims from Stoptech didn't fit the shape of the front pads, had to change that and they are quiet, work when cold, good coefficient of friction.