BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

[SOLVED] WTF is this now..? Rattle noise from cat?

It's one thing after another with this car. Good thing it's not my daily.

Can anyone tell me what this noise sounds like (the metallic rattle, not the V8 sound)? I am guessing the catalytic converter on the driver side is faulty because is where it sounds to be coming from (directly under car toward front near back of motor). When I step on the gas, it doesn't increase in speed, but does change the persistence of the rattle (sort of goes away under throttle).

On a side note, this may be the cure to my cyl 5-8 misfire and increased emissions issues I've been chasing forever. On a side note number two, after 7 hours of replacing my Secondary Air Valve on my driver side yesterday, my misfire issue isn't fixed (happened again 48km later).

Other symptoms I have been having lately that lead me toward a faulty cat:

*Car has been slow to respond to throttle, in fact pulling into my driveway the last couple times which is on a steep incline, the car has basically stopped accelerating altogether going up, and required 50% throttle to barely get up the hill.

*Car feels down on power the last 6 months or so when all my misfire issues began

*Car smells like shit when I am at idle not moving (especially when first started cold)

*The misfires at low rpm/low speed (clogged cat causing gas pressure buildup?)

Either way, looks like i'll be getting those $249 Rogue Engineering test pipes someone posted about sooner than later. They were on my wish list anyhow.

That is all, I await your expertise..

EDIT: Just FYI my cats were 100% fine. I installed my test pipes today to find that my driver side header where it bolts to the cat had a massive leak. Pulled the cat off to find the donut gasket missing completely. Interesting..

Installed test pipes put a new donut gasket on and started it up. no leaks and the car sounds phenominal with the test pipes. idles much smoother too. it's amazing I had a leak this entire time and didn't know about it.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 07-09-2016 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

I'd say you're not to far off....
It sounds somethings busted that is affected by the resonance that your car creates, when it breathes out...
Fucked up cat sounds good...along with O2 sensors that also decided to take the march down south
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
It's one thing after another with this car. Good thing it's not my daily.

Can anyone tell me what this noise sounds like (the metallic rattle, not the V8 sound)? I am guessing the catalytic converter on the driver side is faulty because is where it sounds to be coming from (directly under car toward front near back of motor). When I step on the gas, it doesn't increase in speed, but does change the persistence of the rattle (sort of goes away under throttle).

On a side note, this may be the cure to my cyl 5-8 misfire and increased emissions issues I've been chasing forever. On a side note number two, after 7 hours of replacing my Secondary Air Valve on my driver side yesterday, my misfire issue isn't fixed (happened again 48km later).

Other symptoms I have been having lately that lead me toward a faulty cat:

*Car has been slow to respond to throttle, in fact pulling into my driveway the last couple times which is on a steep incline, the car has basically stopped accelerating altogether going up, and required 50% throttle to barely get up the hill.

*Car feels down on power the last 6 months or so when all my misfire issues began

*Car smells like shit when I am at idle not moving (especially when first started cold)

*The misfires at low rpm/low speed (clogged cat causing gas pressure buildup?)

Either way, looks like i'll be getting those $249 Rogue Engineering test pipes someone posted about sooner than later. They were on my wish list anyhow.

That is all, I await your expertise..
Indeed I saw that you are in serious trouble for the last months with several things ..
That sounds really bad to me , I said already a few weeks back in a previous video from you that your S65 sounded really rough ..
Do you remember my comment ?

But this bad noise sounds like a exhaust rattle to me ..

1-Heatshield that vibrates somewhere .
2-Exhaust leak , or a loose exhaust clamp .
3-Broken cat , probably inside the cat .
4-Heard also something similar with the drive shaft .

In short :
Your car needs to get on a lift to figure out from where that noise from hell comes from .
Please keep us posted because that noise is absolutely not normal !
Sounds NOT like bearing trouble to me .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

I don't know but your car seems to have to much issues at once...
To sum it up---> Absolutely no good!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advise. So it seems that assuming my cat is bad (most signs point to it being bad) the question is, is my misfire caused by a bad or clogged cat, or is my cat being bad or clogged caused by my misfire? Some internet gurus say absolutely not, a bad cat can't cause a misfire, it's the other way around, a few say a clogged cat absolutely can cause a misfire, but it is very rare.

I noticed the rattle noise back in November around the time this all started, and at that time I hadn't driven the car much while this was going on. Plus, it only misfires until you shut the car off, then it runs fine (unless I am mistaking the limp mode, increased emissions warning and horrible shaking at idle for a misfire, and it is actually misfiring all the time, and the other symptoms are just a sign of the cat going out). If it is truly only misfiring when the car is in limp mode and restarting the car clears the misfire like I think it does, I have 0 miles driven of misfires on the car, because I always pull over immediately and restart the car to clear the misfire when it happens, and back in November when I first noticed the metallic clanking of the cat the issue was only a month old, and the car had maybe been driven 3 times at that point since it started. I can't imagine a few random misfires for literally seconds at a time could cause a cat to go out. Unless of course, like I said, it's actually misfiring all the time and I've just caused the cat damage by driving it as much as I have all this time?

Regardless, I am going to go back to basics and stop trying to narrow this issue down to E9x M3 specific causes, like the Secondary Air Valve, Throttle Actuators, etc, and I am going to start checking all the common misfire causes, beginning with ignition and compression. So probably this weekend I will do a compression test and swap all my spark plugs (might help if I can "read" the to know whats going on inside as well, so it's a good idea to pull them anyways). Coils should be fine, as I already swapped from side to side once before; O2 sensors as well, but I will swap my rear O2 sensors when I do my test pipes just to be sure. If my compression test turns out fine (fingers crossed) ill check for a vacuum leak, then probably swap my injectors from left bank to right bank. If all that is good, ill throw the test pipes on and hope it solves my problem. If not, I honestly have no friggin idea what to do short of taking it to a dealer and getting my wallet ready.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Just FYI my cats were 100% fine. I installed my test pipes today to find that my driver side header where it bolts to the cat had a massive leak. Pulled the cat off to find the donut gasket missing completely. Interesting..

Installed test pipes put a new donut gasket on and started it up. no leaks and the car sounds phenominal with the test pipes. idles much smoother too. it's amazing I had a leak this entire time and didn't know about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Just FYI my cats were 100% fine. I installed my test pipes today to find that my driver side header where it bolts to the cat had a massive leak. Pulled the cat off to find the donut gasket missing completely. Interesting..

Glad you could fix it
It was like I said above in # 3 .

How is the power from your new SC ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Glad you could fix it
It was like I said above in # 3 .

How is the power from your new SC ?
Power is phenomenal! If you ever get the chance to go SC'd, I can't recommend it enough. You will never go back. Ill probably do a full review on the kit sometime next week after I dyno tomorrow and get some more videos together.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Power is phenomenal! If you ever get the chance to go SC'd, I can't recommend it enough. You will never go back. Ill probably do a full review on the kit sometime next week after I dyno tomorrow and get some more videos together.
Thank you for the reply

Yes I know , but think also on the whole bearing trouble , and the stronger stress on our bearings from the SC .
And on the wear and tear on our DCT ..
Honestly I would love it as well , and I think often on the German G-Power SC .
Last year I sent an Email to G-Power with the question ...How about the S65 bearings with the G-Power SC ?
The answer from G-Power was like ...We recommend every 10K miles to replace the bearings with our SC's !
And I thought wow !
This means that it is know for the increased stress on the S65 bearings with a SC..

Also...I don't know if it is possible to show my car with a SC on the yearly Belgian car inspection ?
Think I would need the specific papers for it , also for the increased HP gain and for the Belgian gouvernment and pay even more taxes for more HP .
Same thing for the insurance of my car..
You know Belgium...Oughhh !

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ||||||||||

So did this fix your limp mode/codes issues you kept getting?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #11
Zeesh89
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Hi All
Just thought I'd revive this thread as I feel like I may be having a similar problem.

On my e92 m3, when accelerating very gently (between 1-2k RPM, I hear this little jingle sound that is coming from underneath the car, almost underneath the drivers seat. The sound can be heard on the video posted below at around 8 seconds in (you have to listen carefully to catch it). It literally sounds like a little tambourine is being shaken and I have to drive with the windows down to hear it.
The other key thing to note here is that this noise ONLY starts when the car is warm and has been driven around for 10/mins from cold). I do not hear the sound when the car is cold (driving the car when its cold is the only time I can enjoy not putting up with this noise which is frankly a little bit embarrassing). Also, the sound only comes when driving, not in Neutral revving.
I did alot of reading around on this and it seems to me like there are several potential culprits: donut gasket that connect some exhaust pipes, a bracket that's loose, a mounting thats loose, heat shield (though my mechanic confirmed no issues with this).
The cars performance is generally ok, a little bit sluggish at times but I'm not a fast driver (lots of speed restrictions where I live).

I'd be very grateful if anyone can advise or offer any similar experience and how you went about it and what the issue could be.

Thank you.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qgFbZHdGVoQ
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:11 PM   #12
Zeesh89
Rep

Anyone got any ideas? I've learnt to live with it but it's really not a normal sound...infact it ruins the driving experience of the car.

Many thanks.
ZR
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 06:08 AM   #13
egebhardt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 Nissan Pro4x, 08 BMW M3

ZR,
Could you try a better video?
All I hear is a car running with a view of some concrete.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:35 PM   #14
Zeesh89
Rep

Hi Egebhardt

The sound can be heard at around 7/8 seconds of the video ....if you listen closely it sounds like a jingle noise .

https://youtube.com/shorts/qgFbZHdGVoQ

There is another user of this forum who posted the same issue. I will post a link to their video below:

The user said its a leaked emission valve but that was never confirmed.

Thanks.
ZR
Appreciate 0