BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

04-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #177
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Totally agree ///Mobbin! There's definitely trade-offs on Power vs Manual. I'm ultimately happy with my choice this time around but for ease of install if I did it again I would probably go manual like you did too. Obsessiveness about having a clean wiring harness was pretty time consuming on my end too haha

Also, in case anyone was curious about weight, I ended up weighing everything as I went as well:
My Power/Heated/Memory fully loaded stock seats were ~65lbs each, weight wasn't too accurate here though since my scale is small and balancing the seat on it was a challenge.
Stock slider with motor and seatbelt receptacle came in at 9.45 lbs
And the same slider with custom wiring harness and BK mounts came in at 14.34lbs
OMP ARS-R seats were 19.76lbs each.

Probably could have saved a little more weight with a manual slider setup or floor mount, but still really happy with basically ~34lbs each seat vs. 60lbs+ before and still maintaining some creature comforts.
Agreed!

I was primarily concerned with the micro-adjustability of power sliders once strapped in to the 6pt.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #178
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
The power sliders and manual sliders are only ~1 lb different. Pretty marginal!

The power sliders also let you get the seat lower, and it is nice to be able to snug the belts up by moving the seat forward.

That said, I'm running manual sliders because they make back seat access MUCH faster.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #179
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
I wish there was a secondary motor or means to slide the seat faster.
      04-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #180
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The power sliders and manual sliders are only ~1 lb different. Pretty marginal!

The power sliders also let you get the seat lower, and it is nice to be able to snug the belts up by moving the seat forward.

That said, I'm running manual sliders because they make back seat access MUCH faster.
True, I solved the back seat issue by buying a truck! No room for back seats when there will be a welded in cage back there
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:36 AM   #181
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

So what are you guys doing to get the seat to sit lower with the sub mount strap? The car i just bought M3MPH1s's old car has this setup, however with the sub bar the seat sits super high and my helmet hits the roof.

Any ideas? I was going to call BK but wanted to ask ya'll first.
      05-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #182
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
So what are you guys doing to get the seat to sit lower with the sub mount strap? The car i just bought M3MPH1s's old car has this setup, however with the sub bar the seat sits super high and my helmet hits the roof.

I just moved my side mounts to the lower hole in the back and middle in the front and that seems to still work with the sub strap bar, low enough for me with the Nogaros at least. If you need to go lower another option is thinner lower cushions for whatever seat you are running.
      05-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #183
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I just moved my side mounts to the lower hole in the back and middle in the front and that seems to still work with the sub strap bar, low enough for me with the Nogaros at least. If you need to go lower another option is thinner lower cushions for whatever seat you are running.
The car came with a First R, and at the highest setting its contacting the sub bar, so i can't move it lower. I am going to try my Evo2, maybe it has less distance from the bottom of the seat to the hole.
      05-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #184
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I spoke with Ian from BK on the phone about this, and they've endorsed this method:

***You have to drill out the factory mounts to accommodate this***

You can drill the front hole where the BK mounts attach to the factory slider, and use the sub strap bar as the "mount" so to speak. so attach the sub strap bar to the front mounting points for the BK mounts to sliders
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #185
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
That's what I did as well on my Sparco Ergo
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #186
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteM3EMC View Post
Quote:

I spoke with Ian from BK on the phone about this, and they've endorsed this method:

You can drill the front hole where the BK mounts attach to the factory slider, and use the sub strap bar as the "mount" so to speak. so attach the sub strap bar to the front mounting points for the BK mounts to sliders
this is what i have
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #187
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

That's a bit interesting because it appears that the sub bar would be in front of the sub strap hole on the First-R...I was always under the impression it needed to be behind it.
      05-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #188
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's a bit interesting because it appears that the sub bar would be in front of the sub strap hole on the First-R...I was always under the impression it needed to be behind it.
I'm not an expert in this, but I believe that the harness guide bar at the front of the sub strap bar puts it in the correct position. I'd give BK a call and ask for Ian, he was very knowledgeable when I spoke with him. I'm gonna have to make this method work, because I need all the head room I can get.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #189
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not an expert in this, but I believe that the harness guide bar at the front of the sub strap bar puts it in the correct position. I'd give BK a call and ask for Ian, he was very knowledgeable when I spoke with him. I'm gonna have to make this method work, because I need all the head room I can get.
Got it thanks, i always thought it was supposed to be just behind the hole, but after looking at a couple photos on google it looks like you are correct and supposed to be just in front, or in line with the goods.

Ian no longer works at BK - just called. That's a bummer because he's always been a huge asset.
      05-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #190
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got it thanks, i always thought it was supposed to be just behind the hole, but after looking at a couple photos on google it looks like you are correct and supposed to be just in front, or in line with the goods.

Ian no longer works at BK - just called. That's a bummer because he's always been a huge asset.
nooooooo. thats a shame. That must be very recent! I spoke with him less than a month ago.

If I'm remembering correctly, the instructions for my harnesses say that the sub straps should be 0-20* behind the opening for the sub strap. But I can only imagine that the point of that extra little bar thats welded on is to achieve the proper geometry of the harness.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:02 AM   #191
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
That's what I did as well on my Sparco Ergo
Was the ergo the narrower or wider of the two mounts?
      05-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #192
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...acing-harness/

Here's a good article. It looks like a 5pt needs to be in front, 6pt needs to be slightly behind.
      05-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #193
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Since this thread got bumped up, I am selling a pair of side mounts over in the classifieds if anyone is looking https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715283

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #194
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Here's a good article. It looks like a 5pt needs to be in front, 6pt needs to be slightly behind.
Yeah I saw that, a bit unsettling. That article suggest that the 6 point must be a minimum of 20*, but we've noted that mounting the sub strap bar in the lowest possible seat position will put it even or slightly forward of the sub strap hole in the seat. Hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #195
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I saw that, a bit unsettling. That article suggest that the 6 point must be a minimum of 20*, but we've noted that mounting the sub strap bar in the lowest possible seat position will put it even or slightly forward of the sub strap hole in the seat. Hmmmm
I'm scheduled for a call back from a brey krause engineer today. I'll be asking him some things lol.
      05-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #196
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm scheduled for a call back from a brey krause engineer today. I'll be asking him some things lol.
Looking forward to what you get told! sounds like we're in basically the same boat, so I'm looking forward to what the response is.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #197
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is this helpful?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #198
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is this helpful?
Yeah, but it's a little concerning that the sub bar is not behind your chest line.