BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #133
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post
Pretty interesting site to follow:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/BMW-M4-d2258

Prices are definitely going up for used M4s (all years) over the past 30 days
Yeah I noticed that just last night. Private party and trade in for my M4 went up around $3k since last time I checked (early last month or so).

Bizarro world. I'm out of the future guessing game.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #134
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Today I spoke with a marina/boat dealer when ordering a repair part for an outboard engine. The guy on the phone said they have never sold so many personal watercraft (waverunners/jetskis) as this year. Generally consistent with what I saw on waterways this weekend - loaded with people and boats, enjoying the great outdoors (and spending money).

This supports the notion that a collapse in prices is unlikely for discretionary vehicles, for example high horsepower German four door models.
Coworker bought a travel camper and told me same thing. Boats and RV's are selling like hot cakes, which makes little sense to me during these uncertain times.

I've been fortunate that Covid has not affected my pay, but I'm using this year to be very conservative with spending.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      07-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #135
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I can't speak for Americans, but here hardware stores and similar places are having a hard time keeping up with demand.

At first it was grocery stores with toilet paper, now its 2x4s

Some are stir crazy due to being cooped up inside for month(s), can't travel like they used to... etc.

I don't think the financial impact has affected many people yet outside of the service industries. I know people who are able to work from home are making bank with less expenses, and money burning a hole in their pockets.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      07-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #136
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Yeah I noticed that just last night. Private party and trade in for my M4 went up around $3k since last time I checked (early last month or so).

Bizarro world. I'm out of the future guessing game.
Simple explanation - the pics of the new M4 grille were released recently.
Appreciate 5
jmack548.50
NickyC17338.50
Flacht31135.00
BigHunk269.50
      07-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #137
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Took my bike into high end bicycle store....3 week backlog of work. The inventory that normally takes all summer to sell (and assemble) is pretty much sold out. Noticing the same online.

I assume that with everyone no being able to go out they saved money on dining and entertainment and now have a fistfull of cash to blow.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      07-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #138
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

RIght but the job losses have been massive, not just entry level either. The hurt will come, it's inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #139
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Took my bike into high end bicycle store....3 week backlog of work. The inventory that normally takes all summer to sell (and assemble) is pretty much sold out. Noticing the same online.

I assume that with everyone no being able to go out they saved money on dining and entertainment and now have a fistfull of cash to blow.
To add to the discretionary spending spike I was looking to get a racing wheel setup and everywhere seems to be essentially sold out and on backorder. I was hoping to scratch my not being able to drive for fun itch... People seem to have a lot of extra cash to spend. Probably a combination of the WFH, not being able to go to bars and restaurants, cancelled vacations and stimulus money.

We'll see if this trend continues in the future. Will this be the thing that teaches Americans to save our money? Or are we all going to blow it on impulse buys and go back to spending like normal next year.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #140
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Yes, agree on bikes. A month ago I called 2 dozen bike shops from Chicago to Philadelphia, and one of them had the model and color I wanted. I drove 5 hours each way (10 hours round trip) to pick it up. The bike section in Walmart has been devastated (no inventory) for months.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #141
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

When I started my nationwide search for my “perfect” ‘16 F82 coupe last summer, there were around 800 - 900 used listings to sort through on Autotrader. Today, there are a bit over 300. Folks are definitely holding onto their rides which makes the price increase make sense

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      07-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #142
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post
When I started my nationwide search for my “perfect” ‘16 F82 coupe last summer, there were around 800 - 900 used listings to sort through on Autotrader. Today, there are a bit over 300. Folks are definitely holding onto their rides which makes the price increase make sense

Yep, noticed that too. Carmax has even completely dried up of M4s. They only have one nationwide right now, and it's a "new arrival".

They had a beautiful 2020 M4CS with CCBs for a few days this past week. 2k miles and they only wanted $79k for it. I should have gone after it, but I'm still not ready to give up my 6MT.

They also had a crazy deal on a 2016 GT4 in red. 6k miles for $76k, before I could think too long about it though it was *poof* gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:18 AM   #143
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
As someone else mentioned, dealers are definitively hoarding lease returns and decent tradeins, I suppose they are just waiting this covid thing out for now.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      07-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #144
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Either hoarding them, or selling them. The temporary hiatus of new vehicle production, and continued demand for replacement (new or used) vehicles has meant the total inventory of new+used vehicles has been depleted to some extent.

I have driven 5,000 miles in the past month, through most southeast states and several midwest states, and the number of temporary license plates/tags is very high. This means vehicles transactions are occurring.

Local M-B dealer said, "We had a great May." Meaning good sales.

Local M-B and local BMW dealers have no or thin selection of used vehicles on premises.

No meltdown or collapse in site, yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #145
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
People that kept their jobs have now excess cash for the following reasons:
1) No travel
2) No sporting events
3) No gambling
4) No shows/concerts
5) No summer camp, afterschool program, various activities- piano, swimming for my kids
6) Much less eating / Drinking out

Plus much more!

People using this savings to buy cars, boats, vacation home, renovation projects etc
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
Flacht31135.00
      07-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #146
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
People that kept their jobs have now excess cash for the following reasons:
1) No travel
2) No sporting events
3) No gambling
4) No shows/concerts
5) No summer camp, afterschool program, various activities- piano, swimming for my kids
6) Much less eating / Drinking out

Plus much more!

People using this savings to buy cars, boats, vacation home, renovation projects etc
The first time I read this I misunderstood because I thought you were saying people were saving money on those things and that was leading to lack of spending...then realized you meant that money is going into things like second homes, boats, projects etc. which is spot on for the wealthier folks but I think you see the same apply to shopping and more mundane goods across the board. People aren't pinching pennies right now even though they should be.

Part of the reason we haven't felt the "pain" yet is because people are still funneling money into the economy. Hell even those on unemployment are taking home MORE money than they were before with the relief. It's if/when that dries up that we may be in a world of hurt. It all depends on if we can keep making slow progress or if we're pulled backwards and are right back to square one.
      07-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #147
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah if the US really does stop the $600 a week as of end of July, there will be a knock on effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #148
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yeah if the US really does stop the $600 a week as of end of July, there will be a knock on effect.

I don't disagree, but a counterargument is that some folks are slow to get back to work because the unemployment benefits are superb right now, so we may see an increase in employment rates over the next few months if:

1) The jobs are there, as things reopen
2) $600 benefit is removed, incentivizing a return to job hunting
      07-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #149
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post
I don't disagree, but a counterargument is that some folks are slow to get back to work because the unemployment benefits are superb right now, so we may see an increase in employment rates over the next few months if:

1) The jobs are there, as things reopen
2) $600 benefit is removed, incentivizing a return to job hunting
I agree with this. I'm seeing help wanted signs around town now but why go to work when you're making more money sitting at home? There are jobs, they're just not the same jobs as everything has changed.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #150
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Update#5
What we're seeing now is that sports cars, offroad cars, classic cars, and otherwise 'fun' cars are in high demand and prices are up. People have nothing to do but they are allowed to drive, and driving is fun. They want fun cars. So values are on the rise.

Cars that would plummet, boring econo-boxes, soccer-mom cars, commuter cars, basically anything a rental car company would own, are artificially being held up by storing cars away. Eventually they'll be released and sold for pennies on the dollar - but given the current climate, I don't think they'll effect sports/fun car values much.

Luxury cars are an unknown. Cities being hot beds for COVID + Riots + Protests + everyone can work from home now and there's no reason to be close to the office, means there's a city exodus underway. If someone was on the fence about moving out of the city before all this, they are moving out now. This is evident by home sales going up and home builders selling out. That's a lot of people/families that didn't have a car or multiple cars and now suddenly need one or two. And that can change everything.
/Update#5
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #151
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Update#5 If someone was on the fence about moving out of the city before all this, they are moving out now.
/Update#5
This is more or less me. Waiting to see what working conditions will be like in a year before I pull the trigger.

Humans have a short memory and I can see office life returning in a few years. My realistic expectation is that I will still need to be near an office and go in 2-3 days a week, so will not migrate too far until I understand what that looks like.

I am grateful I own a house and have plenty of space, despite being in a major city, otherwise my desire to GTFO would be greatly accelerated.
      07-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #152
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Humans are social beings. In-office work won't go away, and it will likely return to something close to pre-pandemic arrangements.

How are people going to schmooze the boss? Not a bad thing, call it relationship development if that sounds better.

When will it happen? Good question.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #153
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Today I spoke with a marina/boat dealer when ordering a repair part for an outboard engine. The guy on the phone said they have never sold so many personal watercraft (waverunners/jetskis) as this year. Generally consistent with what I saw on waterways this weekend - loaded with people and boats, enjoying the great outdoors (and spending money).

This supports the notion that a collapse in prices is unlikely for discretionary vehicles, for example high horsepower German four door models.
I can second this. Local marine stores are short on inventory. Marinas are packed daily with boaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Update#5If someone was on the fence about moving out of the city before all this, they are moving out now. This is evident by home sales going up and home builders selling out. That's a lot of people/families that didn't have a car or multiple cars and now suddenly need one or two. And that can change everything.
/Update#5
Second this as well. I am in real estate, new homes sales are through the roof. They can't build them fast enough. Overall home inventory is low and prices rising. Homes in my area are selling within days. Buyers from New York and California, just had a couple fleeing Washington. I have local clients that want to upgrade and sell now, but they have no where to go.

Last edited by hellrotm; 07-14-2020 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #154
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Homes are insane. We paid 850K 10 years ago and something reasonably similar down the street just went for $2.1M. In a pandemic!
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
eluded2959.00