BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #23
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
longer lever arm on the suspension bushings will definitely exacerbate any play in them
That makes sense. The front tension arm bushing is notorious for failing prematurely. OP - I suggest going to mono-ball for that critical bushing.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #24
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Lesson learned for sure. I am going to have my wheels road force balanced and I hope to be able to use the spacers during balancing. Perhaps it is my wheels and/or tires...

Cheers,
There should be no reason to use the spacer during balancing.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #25
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

I have had many of the big named spacers, and also am a machinist for the aerospace industry and have checked the i.d and o.d of a few different brands of spacers and the tolerances are all over the place . I have a 2011 m3 with only 16,000 miles and every set of spacers vibrated at speed of over 75mph. Take your spacer off your car amd put it in the back of the wheel while it is sitting on the ground and see how much play there is inside the center of the wheel. Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #26
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballer123 View Post
I have had many of the big named spacers, and also am a machinist for the aerospace industry and have checked the i.d and o.d of a few different brands of spacers and the tolerances are all over the place . I have a 2011 m3 with only 16,000 miles and every set of spacers vibrated at speed of over 75mph. Take your spacer off your car amd put it in the back of the wheel while it is sitting on the ground and see how much play there is inside the center of the wheel. Goodluck!
The Apex spacers fit TIGHT on the front hubs. I have to tap them on with a rubber hammer. The MS spacers are far less tight. Regardless of which one I use, I have wobble.

I got my wheels road force balanced and only 1 front wheel needed a minor adjustment. They did not give me a report on the balance though.

I still have a slight wobble - tad bit better. So frustrating. I took the studs out, and I used a fiberglass wheel to clean up the hubs and the back of the wheels. I washed the spacers and re-installed everything. Now I am going to test the suggestion that I get to wobble speed and then turn to load the suspension to see if that removes the wobble. If it does, then I might just replace the bushings.

Thanks again for all the help!!

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #27
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I replaced the bushings in the front of the car with urethane. Wobble seems to be 99% gone with spacers on. The 1% may just be mental. So, it seems good bushings really help. Hope this is the last of it. Time will tell.

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #28
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Scharbag
I use multiple spacers with multiple wheels. They range from Rogue Engineering, H&R, Bimmerworld all the way down to Ebay for my 3/5/7mm set.

I've found that even after cleaning the wheel and hub well and being careful with the torque procedure, sometimes there's a crazy vibration at a specific speed range. In my experience I solve it by removing the front wheels, removing the spacers, reinstalling and retorquing. After a couple tries I'll find the perfect spot with zero vibration.
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2619.00
      07-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #29
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
I replaced the bushings in the front of the car with urethane. Wobble seems to be 99% gone with spacers on. The 1% may just be mental. So, it seems good bushings really help. Hope this is the last of it. Time will tell.
get the solid front thrust are bearings from BW/Turner/whatever. They are excellent
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #30
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
get the solid front thrust are bearings from BW/Turner/whatever. They are excellent
Yeah, not exactly sure what brand of bushings VCM installed but they have done quite a few sets and the vibration seems so much better. Also, initial braking is better too as there is less suspension flex.

Win-win!

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      07-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #31
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Having the same issue with my BMS 18mm up front, i'm gonna try torquing them while lifted first. If that doesn't work ill do the thrust arm bushing!
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #32
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Spacers will not cause vibration on their own absent another issue. I can honestly say that I have never experienced an issue with a spacer Accross multiple cars, platforms, wheels, etc.

Possible reasons include:

Rust, dirt, grease or something else on the spacer, hub or mounting surface of rim or rotor hat (causing it to not sit even / flat onto mounting surfaces)

Torquing the wheel nuts with weight on the wheel (load could cause wheel and spacer to be misaligned and not sit flat and square). It's best to be at least near torque spec while wheel in the air - unloaded. Impact driver is best way to do this since the front wheel will spin freely.

Faulty spacer that isn't perfectly flat. I only use Turner Motorsports or the new Future Classic spacers.

10mm spacer used with a hub or wheel that doesn't allow it to fully seat

Use of a spacer in a size that eliminates the wheels contact with the hub - resulting in a lug-centric fit instead of hub-centric. For example a 7mm spacer can not be hub centric unless you install hub extenders.

Wheel has a bend or some run-out (could be very slight and only detectable with road force balancer). Not all balancers are created equally.

Tire could have some run-out; AKA not perfectly round. May be correctable via road force balancer.

Tires could have uneven wear causing a vibration

Tires could have damage such as a sidewall bubble from an impact.
How about the Future Classic spacers?

I learned about its existence recently and it seems that they look very good. Anyone else know them? I was surprised that they are attached to the screws of the rotors

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #33
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochen_00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Spacers will not cause vibration on their own absent another issue. I can honestly say that I have never experienced an issue with a spacer Accross multiple cars, platforms, wheels, etc.

Possible reasons include:

Rust, dirt, grease or something else on the spacer, hub or mounting surface of rim or rotor hat (causing it to not sit even / flat onto mounting surfaces)

Torquing the wheel nuts with weight on the wheel (load could cause wheel and spacer to be misaligned and not sit flat and square). It's best to be at least near torque spec while wheel in the air - unloaded. Impact driver is best way to do this since the front wheel will spin freely.

Faulty spacer that isn't perfectly flat. I only use Turner Motorsports or the new Future Classic spacers.

10mm spacer used with a hub or wheel that doesn't allow it to fully seat

Use of a spacer in a size that eliminates the wheels contact with the hub - resulting in a lug-centric fit instead of hub-centric. For example a 7mm spacer can not be hub centric unless you install hub extenders.

Wheel has a bend or some run-out (could be very slight and only detectable with road force balancer). Not all balancers are created equally.

Tire could have some run-out; AKA not perfectly round. May be correctable via road force balancer.

Tires could have uneven wear causing a vibration

Tires could have damage such as a sidewall bubble from an impact.
How about the Future Classic spacers?

I learned about its existence recently and it seems that they look very good. Anyone else know them? I was surprised that they are attached to the screws of the rotors
I love the new FC spacers. Light and extremely well made.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2020, 04:07 AM   #34
pennychow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

any update, pls??
Appreciate 0