BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
xcharlesy
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Adding to the OEM exhaust mod

Hey Guys,

I'm having the OEM exhaust mod done Tuesday, and I'm curious what the best X Pipe, or Test Pipe is to add to this setup, or what the real preference is. Do most people leave the rest stock? Or what do you add?

I was reading the build on Ultimate Klasse for Sals car, And he has the primary cats deleted and replaced with ACM test pipes, can anyone explain this better? I trust that with all the tasteful mods on this car, thats a nice route to go.. however, I'm fairly unfamiliar with the exhaust on the M3.

Anyone unfamiliar with that is this car below, and you can check the feature out.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I have the ACM OEM mod and I think it's perfect! It's loud but not obnoxiously so. I heard that mod combined with a test pipe and it was LOUD!!! From what I have seen test pipes are the way to go, $400 or so vs. $1200 or so for x pipe. I think a good combo would be stock muffler and test pipe. Take the money you saved with the test pipe and get a tune and get about 35rwhp.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's View Post
I have the ACM OEM mod and I think it's perfect! It's loud but not obnoxiously so. I heard that mod combined with a test pipe and it was LOUD!!! From what I have seen test pipes are the way to go, $400 or so vs. $1200 or so for x pipe. I think a good combo would be stock muffler and test pipe. Take the money you saved with the test pipe and get a tune and get about 35rwhp.
I put test pipes on with my AA cat-back and I swear my car got quieter in the cabin under 5000rpm. I love it now!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

I have heard (youtube and words on the forum) that test pipes and either OEM mod (perforated pipe or ACM) that the sound gets very raspy. If you like that, go for it. I am sure the car gets louder as well with going to test pipes...how much I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Lalit@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Do it
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I put test pipes on with my AA cat-back and I swear my car got quieter in the cabin under 5000rpm. I love it now!
Not sure if srs or if troll. But let me know lol

I have an AE perf muffler and its about 20% too quiet for my taste, but I absolutely LOVE the sound. ALthough, i wish it was only louder after 4k rpm. Anyhow, Im considering trying test pipes on it. Since I have them laying around....

Do you think your experience is based on the fact that AA tried to make a toned down muffler with anti drone? IDK, just need advice. I could always install and then try it for a few weeks before I consider AA to HOPEFULLY quiet it down a little and reduce drone if need be
Appreciate 0