BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #23
Munichm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
I add 9L and have a perfect level. Every time.
Sorry man, but this is where the electronic dipstick is inaccurate. Although it's not likely to damage your engine, but the engine takes 8.8L out the box. Adding 9L is overfilling. There is no way you're getting all 8.8L out during an oil change.
The electronic dipstick is no where near accurate. Even my 2004 c class Mercedes I had gave me real time oil numbers. This doesn't even give a number, just a green bar we are suppose to trust.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. And "old school" dipsticks were perfect and read the SAME and ACCURATE, every single time.

Exactly why when you add a little less or 3/4 a L, many times the dipstick doesn't update. It says in the book itself to add .5L at a time or it won't update the stick.
Appreciate 2
GVIFlyer294.50
      09-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #24
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I just add roughly 8.6L per oil change and wait for the computer to calibrate and add if necessary. Keep a spare liter in the trunk just in case. I don't think the dip stick mod is necessary for dailying the car. If I remembered about this mod when I had my rod bearings changed I would have probably installed it while my oil pan was dropped for piece of mind.
      09-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #25
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

We installed one while doing a SC install. Its not the most accurate thing ever when you compare the level to the sensor but it works alright.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #26
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Why? Has the oil level sensor let you down?
It lets you down every time it takes a reading. Its a flawed design for a multitude of reasons.

The two biggest problems I see are:

1. You cannot check the oil level with the engine off.
2. It takes an absurd amount of time to measure the oil level.

A practical example about number 2 that happened to me yesterday. I was driving, and got a warning I needed to add oil. It says add a quart, but I know better. I added half a liter. I then drove off and it took over 10 miles of driving before it could measure the oil level. That is simply bullshit.

Oil levels measurements need to be instant... and the need to be able to be done while the motor isn't running.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #27
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenau View Post
People say "I don't trust the oil level sensor" but still trust the fuel level sensors. You wanna dip stick in your gas tank too?

Seriously. The aftermarket makes a need for something by making false claims about sensor reliability (not citing the 0.5% failure rate) then throw out a magic fix (dip stick modified oil pan) just to take your money. Don't worry, they all do it.

The fact this forum feeds fuel to the fire by believing this crap doesn't help.
Fuel level sensors don't take 10 miles of driving to produce a reading. They are instant, exactly as the oil level sensor should be. They can also measure fuel when the engine isn't running... as the oil sensor should be able to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #28
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenau View Post
People say "I don't trust the oil level sensor" but still trust the fuel level sensors. You wanna dip stick in your gas tank too?

Seriously. The aftermarket makes a need for something by making false claims about sensor reliability (not citing the 0.5% failure rate) then throw out a magic fix (dip stick modified oil pan) just to take your money. Don't worry, they all do it.

The fact this forum feeds fuel to the fire by believing this crap doesn't help.
Fuel level sensors don't take 10 miles of driving to produce a reading. They are instant, exactly as the oil level sensor should be. They can also measure fuel when the engine isn't running... as the oil sensor should be able to do.
I don't disagree with you.

I honestly don't see a problem with the oil level sensor or how it operates. I don't know anyone who checks their oil ever day. maybe once or twice a month at most.

I understand the frustration with it taking forever to read after an oil change. As a tech I always add 8.5L and then check/ top off as necessary. Having to wait for the engine temps to come up enough to read the level is frustrating (flat rate).

For the 99.5% of you who just get in and drive your M3 everyday you don't check your oil level anyway. So installing a dipstick is an easy way to waste a grand (or more).
      09-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #29
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

I had the dipstick installed when I had my rod bearings done. It is a nice verification. I still tend to check the electronic sensor.

I was frustrated with the sensor behavior after oil changes. I would see drops in level that seemed unusual, but in reading various posts are common.

I wouldn't install one as a stand alone job, but if one is having the oil pan removed, it is not that pricey.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #30
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

I like current sensor thingy
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #31
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

lots of people nay-saying the want for the dipstick. if it was a $20 option, would you have gotten it? its $20 worth of parts... i'd enjoy the instant check-ability.
      09-22-2017, 03:00 AM   #32
MidLifeM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

I had the Bimmerworld dipstick installed when I had my rod bearings changed out. (85k miles, done shortly after I purchased the car, and yes they were well worn and I'm glad I changed them). Like the OP, I was annoyed by the very lengthy time required for the oil level sensor to get a reading. This is especially inconvenient for DIY oil change. I wanted to be able to finish the job in the garage all at once (you know, just like on every other car I've owned and maintained for the past many decades), not have to take a 30 minute drive just to find out if I'd gotten the oil filled back to the proper level or not. I do agree with the others who say the stock sensor seems to be pretty accurate once it gets a reading - unlike the one on my old Porsche 944S2 which couldn't seem to guess the oil level correctly within plus or minus a quart or two. (fortunately that car came with a dipstick also, from the factory)

Anyway I'm glad I installed the retrofit dipstick. I found it was a bit cheaper to buy the parts and have the bung welded onto the oil pan at a local shop rather than buy Bimmerworld's pre-installed pans with core exchange - especially considering shipping across coasts from and back to Bimmerworld. After the initial install there was some minor oil seepage around the threads of the elbow fitting, but at my next visit my shop tightened it up and all is good now.

2008 E92 6MT carbon roof (sunroof would burn my bald spot)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #33
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Some like the sensor, some don't. I get it. For me, checking a dipstick is a ritual. It's an opportunity to a) open the hood and admire the engine, b) reassure myself the level is good, c) do a rough mental calculation of how much oil the car is burning, d) assess the condition of the oil, e) look for anything untoward around the engine bay, and f) think about my long-dead father, who taught me how to read a dipstick. The sensor rips the heart from that ritual.

My X3 is a vehicular appliance. It's no thrill at all to open the hood. I don't care if it lacks a dipstick. But on an M3 -- a driver's car, an oily masterpiece -- a sensor is an abomination. The next step was piped-in recorded exhaust sounds. A few steps beyond that and we'll have no steering wheel. God save us all.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers

Last edited by Megabrode; 09-22-2017 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
PACarGuy679.00
Mvy540.50
      01-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #34
tubedreamer
Private
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2008 SSII 6MT E90

I just had my rod bearings done and got the dipstick installed. To deansbimmer and the others who’ve installed the BW dipstick kit, did you have any issue with vibration afterwards? My car is all stock except for the rod bearings and dipstick now. Replaced the motor mounts with BMW ones while the subframe was off.

Does anyone else get this vibration? Is there any way to mitigate the vibration? I get this rubbing/vibration whenever I slow down (car or engine pitches forward) and when I turn left.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #35
tubedreamer
Private
Rep

Pictures of dipstick installed attached.

Anybody see if that would cause vibration when braking and turning left?

Anybody know what the hose next to the dipstick tube is? Would that transmit engine vibrations into the cabin?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #36
tubedreamer
Private
Rep

To those who have the dipstick, where does mid or full as indicated by the electronic dipstick correspond to on the BW dipstick?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #37
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedreamer View Post
Pictures of dipstick installed attached.

Anybody see if that would cause vibration when braking and turning left?

Anybody know what the hose next to the dipstick tube is? Would that transmit engine vibrations into the cabin?
regarding the vibrations/etc. you are experiencing- when was the last time you took a look at your motor mounts?
      01-24-2018, 02:22 AM   #38
tubedreamer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
regarding the vibrations/etc. you are experiencing- when was the last time you took a look at your motor mounts?
Mounts were replaced with new oe at the same time as dipstick install and rod bearings.

Seems like it might be the upper nut on the elbow contacting the subframe, transmitting vibration on braking and left turn and making the nut leak. There’s not much space in there but hoping that the nut can be turned to give some clearance. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #39
tubedreamer
Private
Rep

I got the leaking and vibrations addressed. The blue hex nut for the elbow needs to be turned so the sharp point doesn’t contact the subframe.

However I am still having issues reading the dipstick. My dash says full, at the top of the range but the dipstick looks basically dry. Maybe a tiny bit at the very tip.

For those who have the dipstick when do you read the level? When cold? Warmed up and while running? Warmed up but off with time to settle?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #40
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Seems to create a whole new dilemma - which measurement do you trust? I know when I change my oil that I just put in 8.5L. Yes, I'd like instant feedback. But...I know I just put in 8.5L. Oh, this reminds me....gotta fix the oil leak at the base of my E46's dipstick. Joy.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #41
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
It is the installers responsibility to make the necessary adjustments to get the readings to match. Bimmerworld gives you a location to drill and weld the bung but the final location won't be perfect every time. If you drill the hole slightly higher or lower then the reading will be affected.

-Take level measurement via idrive. Turn engine off and immediately take a reading on the dipstick. If you wait and let all of the oil drain back to the pan then obviously the readings will be skewed and wont match. The electronic sensor takes its reading oil hot, circulating, and engine running. You have to take the disptick reading in the same condition if you're trying to compare readings for accuracy. Stop the engine to let the oil stop sloshing but take the reading as quickly as you can.

-If the level on the stick doesn't match the electronic measurement, you can adjust the length slightly on the dipstick tube to match. If it's off more than a 1/4", then the install wasn't done correctly.

-The dipstick is more of a failsafe to ensure there is *some* oil in the pan. Obviously if you're on an incline or angle, the reading will be skewed. The electronic sensor takes a long time to display because it's also calculating an average level. There will always be the possibility of mismatching level indications.
Appreciate 2
msan402.50
roastbeef11584.50
      02-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #42
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderspider View Post
Seems to create a whole new dilemma - which measurement do you trust? I know when I change my oil that I just put in 8.5L. Yes, I'd like instant feedback. But...I know I just put in 8.5L. Oh, this reminds me....gotta fix the oil leak at the base of my E46's dipstick. Joy.

I trust the sensor for the moment. Sure, it has a margin of error, but for the sensor to show full and the dipstick to show dry means something is way off.
      02-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #43
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
This is the same dilemma as having 2 clocks that show different times. Which one is correct?

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #44
tubedreamer
Private
Rep

How do you adjust the length of the tube? Can you do it from the top or do you have to get under the subframe again to do it?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
It is the installers responsibility to make the necessary adjustments to get the readings to match. Bimmerworld gives you a location to drill and weld the bung but the final location won't be perfect every time. If you drill the hole slightly higher or lower then the reading will be affected.

-Take level measurement via idrive. Turn engine off and immediately take a reading on the dipstick. If you wait and let all of the oil drain back to the pan then obviously the readings will be skewed and wont match. The electronic sensor takes its reading oil hot, circulating, and engine running. You have to take the disptick reading in the same condition if you're trying to compare readings for accuracy. Stop the engine to let the oil stop sloshing but take the reading as quickly as you can.

-If the level on the stick doesn't match the electronic measurement, you can adjust the length slightly on the dipstick tube to match. If it's off more than a 1/4", then the install wasn't done correctly.

-The dipstick is more of a failsafe to ensure there is *some* oil in the pan. Obviously if you're on an incline or angle, the reading will be skewed. The electronic sensor takes a long time to display because it's also calculating an average level. There will always be the possibility of mismatching level indications.
Appreciate 0